Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Touch user trying to get BBC Sounds

I've been a long time Touch user but have been away from these forums for many years (my last post was 11 years ago!). My touch is set up as follows:

All my music files are stored on a USB HDD connected to the touch. I can get internet radio thorugh an ethernet connection into the Touch via a power line adaptor connected to my router.

I have never connected the touch to my PC and use the software on the Touch. Playing my music files through my hifi without having a PC switched on was the appeal of the Touch for me. Apart from the 'local music service has stopped due to a problem' issue, it has worked OK.

Following a brief review of the forum I can see that it is possible to install BBC Sounds, but am confused on how I do this as it does not show up in the list of apps on the Touch.

The Touch is running version 7.7.3 r16676 and this seems to be the most up to date version I can get.

Any step by step guide would be appreciated as scanning through the forum has made me more confused.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinMaxi View Post
    I've been a long time Touch user but have been away from these forums for many years (my last post was 11 years ago!). My touch is set up as follows:

All my music files are stored on a USB HDD connected to the touch. I can get internet radio thorugh an ethernet connection into the Touch via a power line adaptor connected to my router.

I have never connected the touch to my PC and use the software on the Touch. Playing my music files through my hifi without having a PC switched on was the appeal of the Touch for me. Apart from the 'local music service has stopped due to a problem' issue, it has worked OK.

Following a brief review of the forum I can see that it is possible to install BBC Sounds, but am confused on how I do this as it does not show up in the list of apps on the Touch.

The Touch is running version 7.7.3 r16676 and this seems to be the most up to date version I can get.

Any step by step guide would be appreciated as scanning through the forum has made me more confused.
    BBC Sounds is a plugin for Logitech Media Server so it can't be installed on a Touch. Maybe think about installing LMS on a raspberry Pi.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I also ran tiny LMS on the Touch for many years, until the hard drive failed. While tiny LMS worked, it was unstable. Last year, I moved to running LMS using picoreplayer on a raspberry pi and I should have switched earlier. The system is more stable. It also allows running an updated version of LMS, as there are no updates for Tiny LMS. This is important if you want to use streaming services such as Spotify.

If you donĺt want to configure picoreplayer on a pi, take a look at core32 from polyvectron. They are building a small box with LMS loaded and is supposed to be easier to use for the novice.

The LMS version will look to for the required firmware, so since tiny LMS has not been updated, you might have the latest firmware compatible with tiny LMS. However, the latest official firmware for the Touch is 7.8.0-r16754. My Touch did not automatically find the 7.8 update and I had to manually copy the file onto the Touch by loading the file onto a usb drive. I donĺt know if firmware 7.8 is compatible with tiny LMS on the touch.
    Take a look at posts 15-17 on this thread
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...or-Touch/page2

There is a Community Firmware option, which will require running a recent version of LMS on a computer, but installing it will remove tiny LMS on the Touch.

BBC sounds runs fine on LMS on the Touch

I would recommend running LMS on a NAS, every house should have one to store stuff on anyway, I use to use Synology but there were issues for Squeezebox, Netgears seem to work fine. You can download the 8 versions of software both for LMS and for the Touch (so my Touches are running 8.0.1-r16856). If you put it on an SD card you can plug it straight into the Touch. Please see attached images. Also you can always run LMS on PC if necessary.

good luck, Nigel

Name:  LMS screenshot 1.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  127.3 KB
    Name:  LMS screenshot 2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  179.6 KB
    Name:  LMS screenshot 3.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  173.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NigelDavvenport View Post
    I would recommend running LMS on a NAS, every house should have one to store stuff on anyway
    I'd slightly disagree, based on the users familiarity with computing systems. If the OP is a Windows user, install LMS on a Windows system is easy and you don't get tied up with problems misconfiguring the NAS as well as remote login etc. If the OP isn't comfortable with any particular computer system, one of the new Raspberry PI solutions that comes bundled with LMS and an improved Hi-Fi card might be best. I've never run LMS on my Touch.

I ran LMS on my Netgear ReadyNAS for many years. Eventually the power supply for the NAS failed. The only place to buy the power supply was ebay. I eventually got it up and running, and afterwards installed a second, identical ReadyNAS that now backs up the primary.

Before I got the ReadyNAS back online, I moved LMS to a Windows PC. I could to radio channels, streaming etc. When the ReadyNAS was backonline I simply unistalled LMS from it and connected it to LMS via Windows. Shortly after I upgrade the PC to a Dell Optiplex USFF system which was both cheap and reasonably powerful. It runs headless(no screen/keyboard/mouse) down in my mechanical room in the basement. I paid $95 for it. https://cathcam.wordpress.com/2021/0...ows-computers/

These days I'm not sure every house should have a NAS, even though I have two. A much simpler solution is to buy a 2TB USB Hard drive, and back it up online. I backup my backup NAS using iDrive. https://www.idrive.com/

If either of my NAS fail, I won't replace them, once they've both failed, I won't replace them. For most homes, backing up and copying all their documents, photos etc. and music can be achieved via an external USB drive, and online backup. Less complicated, less points of failure, easy to reconstruct and if your house gets flooded, catches fire or is subject to another disaster, your backups are online.

My NAS isn't accessible outside the house for security ease; my online backups via iDrive are available from anywhere I have interconnection.

Not saying you are wrong, just a different perspective.

(FYI this reply was written using MS Edge, on my #WIN10 LMS system which I login to from my laptop and it's really transparent that I'm using a different computer).
    ---------------------------
    https://ctproduced.com < Creed Taylor/CTI/KUDU
    http://markcathcart.com/about

Running LMS Server, currently V8.3.0 - 1659590348 on Headless WIN10 System; music on Netgear ReadyNAS; Transporter(Living Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom), (2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage), Duet(basement). Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Orange Squeeze app on Android.

After leaving this for a while and doing a bit more research, I am interested in the raspberry pi setup using the Touch as the display, DAC and controller, in turn connected into my amplifier.

I think I understand what I need to get, but have the following questions:

1) What cable to I need to connect the raspberry pi to the touch?

2) Do I keep my usb hdd plugged into the touch or plug it into the raspberry pi?

3) Are there any photographs showing this setup?

Many thanks.

After leaving this for a while and doing a bit more research, I am interested in the raspberry pi setup using the Touch as the display, DAC and controller, in turn connected into my amplifier.

I think I understand what I need to get, but have the following questions:

1) What cable to I need to connect the raspberry pi to the touch?

2) Do I keep my usb hdd plugged into the touch or plug it into the raspberry pi?

3) Are there any photographs showing this setup?

Many thanks.
    Two separate things.

1, Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer OS loaded, install LMS on the Pi, Pi connected to router, USB drive connected to Pi.

2, Touch connected to active speakers or amplifier/speakers, no connection needed between Touch and Pi.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

Thanks,

I understand point 1, so the pi and touch don't need to be next to each other.

With respect to point 2 are you assuming a Wi-Fi connection from the Touch to the router?

My Touch currently has an ethernet wire connection to the router via powerline adaptors so assume that would remain.

Thanks,

I understand point 1, so the pi and touch don't need to be next to each other.

With respect to point 2 are you assuming a Wi-Fi connection from the Touch to the router?

My Touch currently has an ethernet wire connection to the router via powerline adaptors so assume that would remain.
    Powerline/ethernet cable to router is excellent.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

I have now set up a new install of picoreplayer and lms on a raspberry pi 4 model b based on the helpful advice on the previous posts. My usb hard drive is connected to the pi.

After some trial and error I am able to use my Touch to access music on the hard drive and now can access bbc sounds and other plugins on the Touch. LMS web interface was a steep learning curve as I had never used this before.

My problem is that there is no sound. What 'audio output device setting' should I select in Squeezelite Settings bearing in mind the only connection between the pi and and Touch is an Ethernet cable?