Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS playlist and special characters

Hi,

I am running LMS on an RPI4 (Picore 8.0) with the music files stored in a Synology NAS. Everything works perfect.
    Yesterday a notice that some of my playlist shows less song than they should an checking the m3u files with notepad I find that the problems were made from some special text character like ñ or ó, the text file replace these kind with wear strings, manually I change them, but with no success after a rescan.
    The playlist are originally generated with ITunes.
    Do I have any solution other than replace these special characters in the source (ITunes)?

Thanks in advance!

Ps: I am in Chile, English is not my language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tobal2 View Post
    Hi,

I am running LMS on an RPI4 (Picore 8.0) with the music files stored in a Synology NAS. Everything works perfect.
    Yesterday a notice that some of my playlist shows less song than they should an checking the m3u files with notepad I find that the problems were made from some special text character like ñ or ó, the text file replace these kind with wear strings, manually I change them, but with no success after a rescan.
    The playlist are originally generated with ITunes.
    Do I have any solution other than replace these special characters in the source (ITunes)?

m3u files are ASCII plaintext file, so any non-ASCII characters — eg, letters with diacritics, like ñ andr ó — get mangled, as you've seen. This means that LMS can't find the file referred to in the playlist and so omits it.

There is a playlist format that supports letters with diacritics, using UTF-8 encoding. These playlists use the extension .m3u8

I'm assuming iTunes could generate m3u8 playlists, since Apple uses UTF-8/m3u8 playlists for HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), but I don't use iTunes.

However, I don't know if LMS supports m3u8 playlist files (either natively or could via a plugin), which is obviously the crucial bit :-)

Hopefully someone else will be along to help more.

Jon
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS running on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) + OMV on a Pi4 (4GB RAM) in an Argon Neo case.

I don't think the issue is the specifically the extension m3u vs m3u8 - I think LMS treats them the same.

However character encoding and what was used to create the m3u file could be the issue.

Notepad - implies Windows - unless you're careful Windows may not create compatible files - character encoding could be a windows charset and not UTF-8

Describe your setup fully (i.e files are on synology and have full names, how shared with Pi) and how (i.e what tools/editors) you create the M3U playlists ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I don't think the issue is the specifically the extension m3u vs m3u8 - I think LMS treats them the same.

However character encoding and what was used to create the m3u file could be the issue.

Notepad - implies Windows - unless you're careful Windows may not create compatible files - character encoding could be a windows charset and not UTF-8

Describe your setup fully (i.e files are on synology and have full names, how shared with Pi) and how (i.e what tools/editors) you create the M3U playlists ?
    Tanks to booth!
    My full setup:

My music library is stored in a Mac Mini and I use Music (ITunes) to manage it. This is (was) my source in my main equipment.
    The special characters born here in the Mini Library.
    The backup of this library is in the Synology NAS (the copy is made with carbon copy Cloner).
    This library is shared to RPI 4 running LMS (Picore 8.0) over CIFS.
    Playlist are originally created in ITunes, with this app, I also export them in m3u format, in the same Mac I made find and replace (text editor) to change path and create a new m3u file (rich text format) and changing the file extensions back to m3u (not RTF). This new file are also stored in Synology.
    I also some windows machine, but special character correction in the text file does not work using PC (notepad) or the Mac (text editor).

Thanks again!

That's a complex way to generate a playlist - lots of opportunities for problems - my initial worry is about using RTF.

Can you attach a small playlist (may need to zip or change extension) so that the character encoding can be checked. This would either eliminate or confirm whether encoding is part of the problem.

That's a complex way to generate a playlist - lots of opportunities for problems - my initial worry is about using RTF.

Can you attach a small playlist (may need to zip or change extension) so that the character encoding can be checked. This would either eliminate or confirm whether encoding is part of the problem.
    Of course, please find attached the playlist that is making me crazy.
    95% of the time I listen anglo music, my playlist are also mainly english names.

The attached playlist Rock Argentino.zip, is the first one were I noticed the problem. If you see the file, the first song named "Rasguña Las Piedras" is not detected by LMS, the second song works with no problem. Find and replace to correct characters does not work (using MACOS Text editor or Windows Notepad).

Thanks again

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tobal2 View Post
    Of course, please find attached the playlist that is making me crazy.
    95% of the time I listen anglo music, my playlist are also mainly english names.

The attached playlist Rock Argentino.zip, is the first one were I noticed the problem. If you see the file, the first song named "Rasguña Las Piedras" is not detected by LMS, the second song works with no problem. Find and replace to correct characters does not work (using MACOS Text editor or Windows Notepad).

Thanks again

Cheers
    Sorry, one mistake, the music folder on the NAS is mounted in the RPI were LMS live over NFS not CIFS.
    THANKS!

The file is in RTF and not UTF-8

Code:
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf2580
    \cocoatextscaling0\cocoaplatform0{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    {\*\expandedcolortbl;;}
    \margl1440\margr1440\vieww13440\viewh7800\viewkind0
    \pard\tx566\tx1133\tx1700\tx2267\tx2834\tx3401\tx3968\tx4535\tx5102\tx5669\tx6236\tx6803\pardirnatural\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf0 #EXTM3U\
    #EXTINF:236,Rasgu\'f1a las Piedras - Sui Generis\
    /mnt/Syno416/Music/Music/Sui Generis/Adios Sui Generis/2-04 Rasgu\'f1a las Piedras.m4a\
    The first line should be
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:236,Rasguña las Piedras - Sui Generis
    /mnt/Syno416/Music/Music/Sui Generis/Adios Sui Generis/2-04 Rasguña las Piedras.m4a
    The \'f1 is not UTF-8.

Attached is a UTF-8 version of the file (with BOM) which should work. I opened with Libre office and Save As with ".txt" format.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try to stop using Notepad and investigate Notepad++ - it is far far better
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

The file is in RTF and not UTF-8

Code:
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf2580
    \cocoatextscaling0\cocoaplatform0{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    {\*\expandedcolortbl;;}
    \margl1440\margr1440\vieww13440\viewh7800\viewkind0
    \pard\tx566\tx1133\tx1700\tx2267\tx2834\tx3401\tx3968\tx4535\tx5102\tx5669\tx6236\tx6803\pardirnatural\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf0 #EXTM3U\
    #EXTINF:236,Rasgu\'f1a las Piedras - Sui Generis\
    /mnt/Syno416/Music/Music/Sui Generis/Adios Sui Generis/2-04 Rasgu\'f1a las Piedras.m4a\
    The first line should be
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:236,Rasguña las Piedras - Sui Generis
    /mnt/Syno416/Music/Music/Sui Generis/Adios Sui Generis/2-04 Rasguña las Piedras.m4a
    The \'f1 is not UTF-8.

Attached is a UTF-8 version of the file (with BOM) which should work. I opened with Libre office and Save As with ".txt" format.
    Thanks a lot.
    I am going to test it later, when I am back at home.
    I will let you know if the problem is solved and I am going to investigate a better way to improve my playlist import from ITunes to LMS.

THANKS Again for your time.

Cheers,
    CSL