Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Radio no longer powers on

Hi,

This may be a long shot, but here are my symptoms:
    1. With the radio plugged into the wall charger, I can turn the radio on by keeping the power button continuously pressed down, but it shuts down as soon as I release the power button.
    2. If the radio is not plugged into the wall charger, I can't even turn the radio on with the above method.

Has anyone experienced this before? Should I buy a new battery pack? It won't help if the power button is loose... and I see no obvious way of opening the radio.

Thanks,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by isolli View Post
    Hi,

This may be a long shot, but here are my symptoms:
    1. With the radio plugged into the wall charger, I can turn the radio on by keeping the power button continuously pressed down, but it shuts down as soon as I release the power button.
    2. If the radio is not plugged into the wall charger, I can't even turn the radio on with the above method.

Has anyone experienced this before? Should I buy a new battery pack? It won't help if the power button is loose... and I see no obvious way of opening the radio.

Thanks,
    Ian
    The Radio is quite easy to open up, just gently pry the speaker cover loose and then you can access 4 screws (two readily visible, two recessed) and unscrew them. Then you can take off the part with the screen/controls which on the back side has the PCB. You have to remove the two cables (power and speaker) from their connectors to the PCB and then the PCB is loose. You can also remove the power plug/cable assembly from the case and then plug that back into the PCB.

I would advise to connect the 'debug' serial port to a PC to see if there are any errors at startup.

Have you already tried to power the SB Radio on with a removed battery? This an easy test to check whether the SB Radio itself is still functioning.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.2.0 on Xubuntu 21.04

I just recently got my Radio out of storage and had similar symptoms.

For me what worked was to remove the battery and then just use the power button quite a few times, sometimes holding it down and sometimes just pressing it. The battery is dead but also I think there was some stickiness or something in the power button which gradually improved. Seems to be OK now.

Thanks for all the replies! Time for an update.

I removed the battery. It changed nothing to the problem I described. The battery might be dead, but the problem seems to be with the power button.

I am in the same situation as bstrulo: I recently took the radio out of storage, and the power button seems jammed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fix it like bstrulo did, by repeatedly pressing the button until it improved.

Finally, I managed to pry the cover open. Unfortunately I don't have the right Torx screw (T9 apparently). This is still my best option

I can find radios for under $100 on eBay, but shipping to Europe and adds another $70 with customs. That's quite steep...

I removed the battery. It changed nothing to the problem I described. The battery might be dead, but the problem seems to be with the power button.

I am in the same situation as bstrulo: I recently took the radio out of storage, and the power button seems jammed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fix it like bstrulo did, by repeatedly pressing the button until it improved.

Finally, I managed to pry the cover open. Unfortunately I don't have the right Torx screw (T9 apparently). This is still my best option

I can find radios for under $100 on eBay, but shipping to Europe and adds another $70 with customs. That's quite steep...
    I found this one in UK if that is better. I have no idea after Brexit.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-...-127635-2958-0

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have never seen this and have never had a radio opened up, so this is just a shot in the dark.

I think that getting it open is the best route, the buttons have the tactile "rubber" which can deteriorate over time, and perhaps cause the switch to be "sticky" much like the volume and nav controls. Maybe if you just dribbled a bit of silicone spray around the button it might loosen things up?

...but the quoted statement is interesting. I had thought that the buttons were momentary contacts (short press "soft" power on/off, long press power on/off), so why would this be? Have you tried a factory reset? Press and hold the '+' key and then press and hold power until the logi splash screen comes up. Release at that point and see what happens.

Jim

Thanks, the wealth of knowledge here is impressive! I have completed a factory reset, but the behavior I described persists. User bstrulo reported similar symptoms. I am now curious about the behavior of this button too.

I will buy a T9 screwdriver and report what I find.

Someone once remarked that, after taking a radio out of storage, it would not start. But, after leaving it plugged in overnight, or for several hours, it would then start.

Might be worth trying.

Here's a mechanical tinkerers thought..... If the Radio fully powers on with the button held in, can you improvise something mechanical - perhaps inside the case - that simply keeps it held in? You will then have soft power options via LMS or one of the LMS smartphone control apps; if you don't need the battery, then you have a hard power option via the power cord. At the very least, you'd have a working radio until you see a replacement for sale at a decent price.....
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 4
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), LAN Desktop
    3 x Touch - 1 wireless, 2 LAN. (8.0.1-r16855)
    2 x SB Radios [wireless] (8.0.1-r16855)
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)