Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Audio Diffmaker

Audio Diffmaker

I thought I would test Audio Diffmaker with a couple of test waveforms generated by Right Mark Audio Analyser. I generated
    File A=44.1kHz 16bit
    File B=96kHz 24 bit
    To compare them in Audio Diffmaker the format needs to be the same so I converted File A to 96kHz 24 bit.
    When Audio Diffmaker calculated the difference the waveform looked suspiciously similar to both of the input waveforms. The program is meant to align waveforms, in this case this shouldn't have been needed.
    When I used the same file for reference and test file the results were better. Everything after the first 50ms was zero amplitude.
    Any ideas why it fails completely with the other files?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I thought I would test Audio Diffmaker with a couple of test waveforms generated by Right Mark Audio Analyser. I generated
    File A=44.1kHz 16bit
    File B=96kHz 24 bit
    To compare them in Audio Diffmaker the format needs to be the same so I converted File A to 96kHz 24 bit.
    When Audio Diffmaker calculated the difference the waveform looked suspiciously similar to both of the input waveforms. The program is meant to align waveforms, in this case this shouldn't have been needed.
    When I used the same file for reference and test file the results were better. Everything after the first 50ms was zero amplitude.
    Any ideas why it fails completely with the other files?

Never mind. Looks like the waveforms generated by RMAA are all the same shape but different lengths. They all use the same samples with different spacing

Seems odd.... How did you do the file format conversion?
    Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio, and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight

Quote Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
    Seems odd.... How did you do the file format conversion?
    See my last post. I thought both files were the same length and only the sample rate was different but the 96kHz file was much shorter as I think when RMAA generates the test files for each sampling frequency it uses the same samples and just changes the time between them. So the files Audio Diffmaker was comparing were not the same waveform.