Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    'F the Toslink, I'm focusing on a good coaxial cable. USB a complete waste of time for audio.

It depends on how USB is designed and implemented. Currently have my Rpi4b+ connected to a Chord Qutest via USB (Acoustic BBQ "Full Rack" cable) and it is sublime!

Quote Originally Posted by RadioClash View Post
    'F the Toslink, I'm focusing on a good coaxial cable. USB a complete waste of time for audio.
    I feed both my Chord Qutest and DAVE via USB and find it works flawlessly - it depends how it's implemented on the board.
    Nanopi M4V2 Debian 4gb RAM 1TB SSD -> LMS -> Squeezelite -> Sablon EVO USB -> SRCDX -> Wave Storm BNC -> Chord Hugo MScaler -> dual Wave Storm BNC -> Chord DAVE DAC -> Meridian 551 -> Monitor Audio Gold -> Me

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride! - Hunter S Thompson - RIP

In my experience playing around with DACs is not the way to go. If you do properly level matched blind listening tests you will have to resort to tricks to hear the difference between any DAC that is not broken. So look at features, aesthetics and price. There is a lot of subjective guff on the internet, most of the reviewers are just expressing an opinion and are not performing any form of controlled listening test.

Essentially you need to get your speaker and room interaction right and room treatment and or digital room correction (DRC). DRC can be done for the cost of a cheapish measurement microphone and quite a lot of time. For me the results are worth it, got rid of bass boom and overall clarity has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by foxesden View Post
    In my experience playing around with DACs is not the way to go. If you do properly level matched blind listening tests you will have to resort to tricks to hear the difference between any DAC that is not broken. So look at features, aesthetics and price. There is a lot of subjective guff on the internet, most of the reviewers are just expressing an opinion and are not performing any form of controlled listening test.

Essentially you need to get your speaker and room interaction right and room treatment and or digital room correction (DRC). DRC can be done for the cost of a cheapish measurement microphone and quite a lot of time. For me the results are worth it, got rid of bass boom and overall clarity has improved.
    Word!