Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox (SB1/2?) in 2021

Hi guys,

By chance, I got a Squeezebox (SB1/2?) with an additional internal PCMCIA wifi module. I thought that it is a useless device nowadays, but after turning it on, I got in love with its VFD display. Visually the Squeezebox looks fine, and all components are in place. I have tried to connect it by a cable to my local network: the device gets IP-address by DHCP, but just after shows that it can not connect to Slim server. I have tried to install different versions of LMS (4.0-8.0) on my win10 PC, but all of them were not detected by the Squeezebox. Just after showing this error message, my Squeezebox reboots and again starts showing a welcome screen following by an IP address. Unfortunately, I do not have an IR remote control to go deep into the menu and check device settings there. I have tried to turn off firewall on my PC as well as router, but it also does not help.
    Name:  slim.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  72.8 KB

Therefore, I am wondering if someone is still managing to use SB1/2 in 2021? Are there any confirmed incompatibilities or something wrong with my device?
    Please feel free to move this thread somewhere else if it does not fit the current topic.

Regards,
    Artem

Quote Originally Posted by Artemsan View Post
    Therefore, I am wondering if someone is still managing to use SB1/2 in 2021? Are there any confirmed incompatibilities or something wrong with my device?
    They do work with LMS 8.* and many are still in use.

It could be an SB2 as they have removable WLAN card. What does label underneath say ?

Chances are the player has connected to mysqueezebox.com . It may still be registered to old user and so have to change ownership.

If you have an old Sony or JVC DVD remote (or a univeral remote) - try it on player.

After you start LMS 8.0 - check what players are available - Classic skin on Web - "choose player" drop down box on top RHS.

Simple check:
    SB1 has a black plastic surround to the network RJ45 socket.
    SB2 has a silver metal surround there.

Hardware comparison chart here:
    https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.p...omparison.html
    Last edited by mooblie; 2021-08-03 at 16:53.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    If you have an old Sony or JVC DVD remote (or a univeral remote) - try it on player.
    Thank you for your suggestion. I have started from some old remotes I found at home, but there was no luck. After that, I have installed ZaZa Remote app on my old android phone with an IR port to emulate different remotes. The predefined official Sony/JVS codes were not compatible with my player. But eventually, I have checked a repository, where users upload their custom codes. Fortunately, there was a code for some newer Logitech squeezebox, which also works for my player! I am not sure that all buttons work as they should, but it is enough to navigate the player menu. After retrigged all network settings in the player, I have managed to connect it to my LMS (8.0). I do not know what was wrong in the beginning, but it works like a charm now. Even more, I have managed to add my player at mysqueezebox.com.
    Name:  IMG_20210804_115911_579 (002).jpg
Views: 211
Size:  33.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by mooblie View Post
    Hardware comparison chart here:
    Regarding the model, it is clear now that my player is SB1. Despite an optional wifi-card, it has MAS3539 DAC, which corresponds to SB1. Based on the hardware comparison chart, the successor model (SB2) has a different software decoder and CPU in combination with much more buffer size. Therefore, I am wondering about the audio formats this player actually supports. Yesterday, I had tried to play a FLAC file, but received a message from the player about the unsupported sample rate. I also did not find any options about showing UV meters or spectrum graphs on the player display. Are these features supported by SB1?

My next plan would be to get rid of win10 LMS by replacing it with Raspberry Pi as well as explore ways of casting audio from iOS. I would very much appreciate your further suggestions regarding these matters.

Regards,
    Artem

Regarding the model, it is clear now that my player is SB1. Despite an optional wifi-card, it has MAS3539 DAC, which corresponds to SB1. Based on the hardware comparison chart, the successor model (SB2) has a different software decoder and CPU in combination with much more buffer size. Therefore, I am wondering about the audio formats this player actually supports. Yesterday, I had tried to play a FLAC file, but received a message from the player about the unsupported sample rate. I also did not find any options about showing UV meters or spectrum graphs on the player display. Are these features supported by SB1?
    LMS will transcode any audio format or sample rate not supported by the player into a Flac stream. Unsupported sample rate sounds odd - LMS should handle it unless sox is not installed or trasncdoing disabled. Use latest LMS 8.1 or now 8.2 for Win10.

IIRC There were two models of SB1: plain SB1 and SB1G - the G had better graphics same as SB2/SB3. However I don't think SB1 had the "now playing" graphics such as VU meters.

My next plan would be to get rid of win10 LMS by replacing it with Raspberry Pi as well as explore ways of casting audio from iOS. I would very much appreciate your further suggestions regarding these matters.
    For Pi based system - Picoreplayer (PCP) is a good starting point - it has option to run LMS as well as a player or just LMS or just player.

iOS will use Airplay. There are two option - one (shairtunes2) to make LMS players - airplay targets and another (Airplay bridge) to make Airplay compatible speakers into LMS players.

IIRC There were two models of SB1: plain SB1 and SB1G - the G had better graphics same as SB2/SB3. However I don't think SB1 had the "now playing" graphics such as VU meters.
    Indeed, the version I have has a nice pixelized VFD, which potentially supports images and animations. But I did not find any options for how to activate "now playing" features. Probably SB1 CPU does not support these.
    For Pi based system - Picoreplayer (PCP) is a good starting point - it has option to run LMS as well as a player or just LMS or just player. iOS will use Airplay. There are two option - one (shairtunes2) to make LMS players - airplay targets and another (Airplay bridge) to make Airplay compatible speakers into LMS players.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have activated shairtunes2 plugin - it seems working smoothly. However, sometimes the player progress bar does not correspond to the actual song progress (just fully filled from the begging). I have noticed that during casting from apple music. Actually, I need to play with it a bit more to understand better when this bug happens.

Overall, I could conclude that my SB1 works nicely in 2021. I will try to make it as a permanent part of my home audio by running LMS on Rpi. Using smartphone as a remote is a bit annoying, but I will try to search for a suitable physical one.

Indeed, the version I have has a nice pixelized VFD, which potentially supports images and animations. But I did not find any options for how to activate "now playing" features. Probably SB1 CPU does not support these.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have activated shairtunes2 plugin - it seems working smoothly. However, sometimes the player progress bar does not correspond to the actual song progress (just fully filled from the begging). I have noticed that during casting from apple music. Actually, I need to play with it a bit more to understand better when this bug happens.

Overall, I could conclude that my SB1 works nicely in 2021. I will try to make it as a permanent part of my home audio by running LMS on Rpi. Using smartphone as a remote is a bit annoying, but I will try to search for a suitable physical one.
    Re IR codes, you can define your custom codes in LMS to accommodate a different remote. Have you tried that?
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Re IR codes, you can define your custom codes in LMS to accommodate a different remote. Have you tried that?
    Thank you for pointing that out! After some digging into the forum, I found an old thread about a similar issue. So I have managed to activate IR debug logging to capture codes from my third-party remote. Based on these codes, jvc.ir keymap file has been updated. Currently, control buttons work perfectly. However, I need still to figure out how to program play presets in LMS for 0-9 buttons.

Thank you for pointing that out! After some digging into the forum, I found an old thread about a similar issue. So I have managed to activate IR debug logging to capture codes from my third-party remote. Based on these codes, jvc.ir keymap file has been updated. Currently, control buttons work perfectly. However, I need still to figure out how to program play presets in LMS for 0-9 buttons.
    Perhaps the remote doesn't send repeated IR codes when you hold the numeric keys down.

You should be able to tell in the server log what is happening when you hold one of the number keys down.

The Default.map in the lms IR folder details the various actions available.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2021-08-07 at 05:45.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.