Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kestrel
    • Aug 2021

How to replace Navigation Rotary Encoder

A couple of days ago the navigation dial on my SB Radio wouldn't click, it was as if it was jammed some how. i could still rotate the dial but I couldn't push the dial in. So I figured I would just install a new rotary encoder. I found one on ebay that had the same number of detents (20) https://www.ebay.com/itm/255049249831 and was the same size so I went ahead and replaced it. Well it doesn't work, the dial now physically clicks but nothing happens. When I rotate the dial it doesn't vertically scroll through the pages instead it scrolls horizontally. So I was wondering if anyone has any information on the rotary encoder that is used. Since there's no identifying features, i.e. model number, manufacturer, etc... on it I wasn't able to find it online. I found the thread which discussed replacing the volume encoder but nothing about the navigation encoder. An interesting observation is that on the three pins of the SB Radio encoder the first two, from left to right are connected. With the replacement encoder that's not the case. So I looked online at numerous encoders and they all seem to show that the common is the center pin and that the other two are separate channel A and channel B. If that's the case, I guess not all encoders are the same. Is there a workaround for this or anyone have any ideas on where I could find a replacement? Thanks!
  • philippe_44
    • May 2008

Originally posted by Kestrel
    A couple of days ago the navigation dial on my SB Radio wouldn't click, it was as if it was jammed some how. i could still rotate the dial but I couldn't push the dial in. So I figured I would just install a new rotary encoder. I found one on ebay that had the same number of detents (20) https://www.ebay.com/itm/255049249831 and was the same size so I went ahead and replaced it. Well it doesn't work, the dial now physically clicks but nothing happens. When I rotate the dial it doesn't vertically scroll through the pages instead it scrolls horizontally. So I was wondering if anyone has any information on the rotary encoder that is used. Since there's no identifying features, i.e. model number, manufacturer, etc... on it I wasn't able to find it online. I found the thread which discussed replacing the volume encoder but nothing about the navigation encoder. An interesting observation is that on the three pins of the SB Radio encoder the first two, from left to right are connected. With the replacement encoder that's not the case. So I looked online at numerous encoders and they all seem to show that the common is the center pin and that the other two are separate channel A and channel B. If that's the case, I guess not all encoders are the same. Is there a workaround for this or anyone have any ideas on where I could find a replacement? Thanks!
    This is this reference EVE-JBBF2520B ENCODER EVE-J Series 20 Dent 12 mm. I still have a few, but I want to keep some for my own repairs, so I might be able to ship one or two more. I bought them on alibaba
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• Kestrel
      • Aug 2021

Originally posted by philippe_44
      This is this reference EVE-JBBF2520B ENCODER EVE-J Series 20 Dent 12 mm. I still have a few, but I want to keep some for my own repairs, so I might be able to ship one or two more. I bought them on alibaba
      Wow I would never have figured this out, thank you! Looking at the datasheet I now see why this won't work. I would only need one, if you're willing to part with one let me know how much and how to go about getting it. Thanks again.

Comment

• philippe_44
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Kestrel
        Wow I would never have figured this out, thank you! Looking at the datasheet I now see why this won't work. I would only need one, if you're willing to part with one let me know how much and how to go about getting it. Thanks again.
        Credits for finding the reference go to @JoeMuc2000. I can ship you one, it will be about USD10 in total, I'd guess, depending where you live.
        LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• Kestrel
          • Aug 2021

I sent you a PM, check your inbox. Thanks!

Comment

• DrewSB
            • Mar 2009

This just happened to me as well. I'm checking AliBaba for a quote, but in the meantime this remapping of the mute button got my Radio working again:

Comment

• philippe_44
              • May 2008

Originally posted by DrewSB
              This just happened to me as well. I'm checking AliBaba for a quote, but in the meantime this remapping of the mute button got my Radio working again:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...adio&p=1031749
              I bought another 10 recently on alibaba. You can check the price but I think it was 2.8 or something each. I can send you one if you want. No margin, just the encoder and shipping cost.

Comment

• DrewSB
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by philippe_44
                I bought another 10 recently on alibaba. You can check the price but I think it was 2.8 or something each. I can send you one if you want. No margin, just the encoder and shipping cost.
                Thank you! PM sent.

Comment

Working...