Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Backup piCorePlayer without removing SD card

I have piCorePlayer on a Raspberry Pi 4 with the official 7" touchscreen fitted inside a touchscreen case that doesn't allow access to the SD card. I've removed the back of the case a couple of times already to get the to the SD card, which has already caused the screw threads on the back of the touchscreen to loosen, making the touchscreen slightly loose in the case.

I'd like to create periodic backup copy/image of the piCorePlayer SD card to another SD card without having to take apart the touchscreen case, ideally using a USB SD card adapter plugged into the Pi's USB socket - in the same way as 'SD Card Copier' works in Rasbperry OS.

Is there anyway I can achieve this within the piCorePlayer OS - or perhaps another way via SSH or SFTP to another PC? Ideally, I'd like to be able to put the backup SD Card I create straight into another Pi and boot piCorePlayer straight from that (in case I want to use it in a Pi case without a touchscreen in future).

Any tips?

Thanks

Andy
    • Synology D218+ running LMS 8.1.1 in Docker container
    • 1 x Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 x Squeezebox Receiver, Squeeze Player & Squeeze Ctrl apps on Galaxy Tab S5e & Galaxy A40
    • Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB (with 7" Touchscreen in case & Flirc USB IR dongle) & Pi 4B 8GB in Flirc case, both running piCorePlayer 8.0.0 & LMS 8.1.1, connecting over Wi-fi to DS218+, or LMS library copy on 2TB USB hard drive plugged into Pi when no Wi-fi available
    • LMS library of ALAC, ACC/M4A and MP3 files

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTwizzle View Post
    I have piCorePlayer on a Raspberry Pi 4 with the official 7" touchscreen fitted inside a touchscreen case that doesn't allow access to the SD card. I've removed the back of the case a couple of times already to get the to the SD card, which has already caused the screw threads on the back of the touchscreen to loosen, making the touchscreen slightly loose in the case.

I'd like to create periodic backup copy/image of the piCorePlayer SD card to another SD card without having to take apart the touchscreen case, ideally using a USB SD card adapter plugged into the Pi's USB socket - in the same way as 'SD Card Copier' works in Rasbperry OS.

Is there anyway I can achieve this within the piCorePlayer OS - or perhaps another way via SSH or SFTP to another PC? Ideally, I'd like to be able to put the backup SD Card I create straight into another Pi and boot piCorePlayer straight from that (in case I want to use it in a Pi case without a touchscreen in future).

Any tips?

Thanks

Andy
    You can create a backup image in the latest versions of pCP. Main page > SD card image.

Name:  backup.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.8 KB
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    You can create a backup image in the latest versions of pCP. Main page > SD card image.

Name:  backup.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.8 KB
    Thanks. Can that backup to an SD Card plugged into the Pi via a USB adapter?
    • 1 x Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 x Squeezebox Receiver, Squeeze Player & Squeeze Ctrl apps on Galaxy Tab S5e & Galaxy A40
    • Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB (with 7" Touchscreen in case & Flirc USB IR dongle) & Pi 4B 8GB in Flirc case, both running piCorePlayer 8.0.0 & LMS 8.1.1, connecting over Wi-fi to DS218+, or LMS library copy on 2TB USB hard drive plugged into Pi when no Wi-fi available

Thanks. Can that backup to an SD Card plugged into the Pi via a USB adapter?
    Not sure, but you can save the backup image to an attached USB thumbstick, it needs burning to an SD card to be able to use it.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)

Not sure, but you can save the backup image to an attached USB thumbstick, it needs burning to an SD card to be able to use it.
    Thanks. I've put a blank SD card into a USB adapter, rebooted the Pi and shutdown LMS. When I go to select image locaton, I see two options:

/mnt/LMSfiles/images
    /tmp/images

Not sure if the card is mounted - how tell and/or mount it?

Thanks

Thanks. I've put a blank SD card into a USB adapter, rebooted the Pi and shutdown LMS. When I go to select image locaton, I see two options:

/mnt/LMSfiles/images
    /tmp/images

Not sure if the card is mounted - how tell and/or mount it?

Thanks
    I see similar to the 2 options you get, they are both on the SD card in use.

I also put a blank SD card into an adapter, on the LMS page I see picture below.

No matter what you save the image to you will still need to burn it to a SD card to use it, it isn't a copy of the files, it's an image, it needs burning to use it. You may as well use an attached USB stick.

Examples below.

Name:  invalid.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  17.3 KB

OK, I reformatted the SD card in Windows, now it appears usable.

On the LMS page I mounted it as crabtree.

On the main page it appears in the list of available save locations.

Creating an image now . . . it took 12mins, although true I didn't install extension pigz.tcz.

Name:  crabtree01.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  crabtree02.jpg
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  crabtree03.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  53.3 KB

OK, I reformatted the SD card in Windows, now it appears usable.

On the LMS page I mounted it as crabtree.

On the main page it appears in the list of available save locations.

Creating an image now . . . it took 12mins, although true I didn't install extension pigz.tcz.

Name:  crabtree01.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  crabtree02.jpg
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  crabtree03.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  53.3 KB
    Tried this all out last night with a USB stick and managed to get an image onto my PC which I then put on a backup SD card with Raspberry Pi imager writer software. Have another Pi on the way I'll be putting in a Flirc case and using on the move with a USB hard drive clone of my home NAS music library, so will be very handy to just pop the backup SD card straight into it and get it up and running immediately without having to reinstall pCP and recreate all the LMS settings yet again!

A fun bit of Friday night geeking out - many thanks for your help!

Andy

Now I've saved an image backup to USB stick, and written that image to a spare SD card, how would I go about restoring that image back onto the original piCorePlayer I took it from without having to open up the touchscreen case and swap out that cards?

Is there a way I can restore it from a USB stick?

Thanks