Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS "Output channel mode", how good is the sync for separate L R output to two PcP's

Hi all,

Q as in title. Always been curious how well it would work what is suggested in the LMS "infobox", e.g "You can configure this player to play only the left or right channel. This can be used to create a stereo image from 2 synced Squeezebox Radios, for example."

Would really like to hear input from anyone who has actually tested this or run such a setup.

Is it possible to easily get a true stereo image from two different players or does one have to fiddle a lot with the sync setting? I have used sync with players for a long time but having players in different rooms playing a stereo source isn't the same as sitting in front of two players/speakers playing Left and Right channel separately (I guess you might want to add ...). Anyone have tested such an setup? What about timing issues between the instruments?

Background/ reason for asking :
    I've fiddled with a pair of old passive speakers I've + a picorplayer with a IQaudio DigAMP+ Hat and then with the kind help of Greg Erskine I managed to get PcP to play in mono. And since my speakers have the option to be driven "bi-amped" (they're two way) I kind of transformed one speaker from passive to sort of "active" by sticking the Pi on the back with some velcro. So Pcp is playing in mono and L.ch. driving tweeter and R.ch. driving midrange/bass (on ONE speaker that is). And naturally that gave me the idea, "hmm wonder if a get another Pi and DigiAMP+ Hat I could have an "active" stereo setup"?? But as said, I've my doubts if "stereo by sync" really would work that well. Sure I could buy yet another Pi and Hat but thought it's kind of stupid before asking if anyone of you guys have a listening experience to share from a similar set up?

Hi,
    I have 2 radios in sync as a stereo pair in my bedroom.
    It works perfect.
    /Patrik

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniacx View Post
    Hi,
    I have 2 radios in sync as a stereo pair in my bedroom.
    It works perfect.
    /Patrik
    Thanks for answering :-), any chance you could be more specific how your setup is? E.g, are just using those defaults settings in LMS? What version of LMS? e.t.c.
    Also pretty important, are your radios connected with WiFi or cable? Would actually also be of interest what brand/model of router you're using?

Cheers!

I have a couple pairs of original HomePods, and have them doing stereo just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post
    Hi all,

Q as in title. Always been curious how well it would work what is suggested in the LMS "infobox", e.g "You can configure this player to play only the left or right channel. This can be used to create a stereo image from 2 synced Squeezebox Radios, for example."

Would really like to hear input from anyone who has actually tested this or run such a setup.

Is it possible to easily get a true stereo image from two different players or does one have to fiddle a lot with the sync setting? I have used sync with players for a long time but having players in different rooms playing a stereo source isn't the same as sitting in front of two players/speakers playing Left and Right channel separately (I guess you might want to add ...). Anyone have tested such an setup? What about timing issues between the instruments?

Background/ reason for asking :
    I've fiddled with a pair of old passive speakers I've + a picorplayer with a IQaudio DigAMP+ Hat and then with the kind help of Greg Erskine I managed to get PcP to play in mono. And since my speakers have the option to be driven "bi-amped" (they're two way) I kind of transformed one speaker from passive to sort of "active" by sticking the Pi on the back with some velcro. So Pcp is playing in mono and L.ch. driving tweeter and R.ch. driving midrange/bass (on ONE speaker that is). And naturally that gave me the idea, "hmm wonder if a get another Pi and DigiAMP+ Hat I could have an "active" stereo setup"?? But as said, I've my doubts if "stereo by sync" really would work that well. Sure I could buy yet another Pi and Hat but thought it's kind of stupid before asking if anyone of you guys have a listening experience to share from a similar set up?
    Thought I get back and answer my own question if anyone else wondering the same thing.

So I bought a second Pi and a DigiAMP+ and set it up as above and it works just brilliant! :-)

Also thanks to you other folks who answered about the how good the sync working in a mono/stereo setup.

Thought I get back and answer my own question if anyone else wondering the same thing.

So I bought a second Pi and a DigiAMP+ and set it up as above and it works just brilliant! :-)

Also thanks to you other folks who answered about the how good the sync working in a mono/stereo setup.
    Hi doggod,
    thinking of doing the same, how did you replaced the crossover filter for tweeter/bass?

Thanks for answering :-), any chance you could be more specific how your setup is? E.g, are just using those defaults settings in LMS? What version of LMS? e.t.c.
    Also pretty important, are your radios connected with WiFi or cable? Would actually also be of interest what brand/model of router you're using?

Cheers!
    I use Lms 8.2.1.
    They are connected to ethernet.
    Standard settiings in Lms.
    /Patrik

I have 2 pairs of Radios running in mono l/r configuration, works very well, syncing volume and on/off. About 1 time every 20 times turned on, they don't sync in the first few seconds and switching to a different radio station then back sorts it. I'd welcome any ideas to fix this, it isn't a major headache but worth asking I thought. LMS 8.3 running on a wired Pi4, radios are all wifi connected
    Stay safe folks
    Jeremy
    RaspberryPi4 server running Raspbian & LMS 8.3, USB hard drive
    Lounge - Pi4 running piCoreplayer 8 connected via USB to Naim DAC-V1, Linn LP12/Ekos/Troika, Naim NAC102, Linn Tunebox crossover, 4 x Naim NAP250 power amps with Avondale Audio 2018 mods, Linn Keltik active isobarik speakers. Cotrolled by 2 Jogglers or phone
    Office - Squeezebox Boom
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio x2
    Sunroom - Squeezebox Boom
    Bedroom - Squeezebox Radio x2 plus another in en-suite
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Radio

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Hi doggod,
    thinking of doing the same, how did you replaced the crossover filter for tweeter/bass?
    I don't think the crossover has been replaced.

It seems, to me, @doggod is describing vertical bi-amping (as opposed to horizontal )

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    I have 2 pairs of Radios running in mono l/r configuration, works very well, syncing volume and on/off. About 1 time every 20 times turned on, they don't sync in the first few seconds and switching to a different radio station then back sorts it. I'd welcome any ideas to fix this, it isn't a major headache but worth asking I thought. LMS 8.3 running on a wired Pi4, radios are all wifi connected
    Stay safe folks
    Jeremy
    Same behaviour in my kitchen with 2 radios L/R channel.. Also WiFi on both.. It only seem to be minor inconvenience present at the moment of turning pair on.. Once in sync they stay synced just fine.. Saying that I have noticed maybe 3-4 times over last 2-3years slight phasing effect where radios drifted slightly for a brief moment. I guess that's just nature of how sync works on SB players and I don't think it can be fixed..

If someone has managed to tweak it to perfection I'm aslo interested
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)