Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Power supply

Power supply

Hey guys, I dug this power supply out of storage. I was using this many years ago with a Squeezebox 2, so many years ago that I have forgotten the reason why and if there were any audio benefits to using it. Is this supply okay to use with a Touch? Maybe the bigger question, should I even bother? Will there be any audio benefits to using it? Hope I am not opening a can of worms!

Name:  Power-Supply.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  37.1 KB
    Last edited by RadioClash; 2021-07-29 at 04:01.

I think the Touch PSU is rated at 3 Amps so twice the current capacity of the one you've dug out, I've seen reports of using 2 Amp supplies with no issues but I've no idea if lower would continue to work reliably.

Personally I can't vouch for any audio benefits - I'm not that kind of listener

Kev

Allegedly the Touch PSU is rated at 3 A to cater for USB discs

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Allegedly the Touch PSU is rated at 3 A to cater for USB discs
    USB support for devices is what I recall but USB 2.0 power for disc will only be 500mA which means Touch itself probably requires a minimum of about 2A - I think there may be a high initial draw on power up compared to power requirements once operational.

Also I recall older SB player PSUs such as for SB2 and early SB3 were not considered good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioClash View Post
    Hey guys, I dug this power supply out of storage. I was using this many years ago with a Squeezebox 2, so many years ago that I have forgotten the reason why and if there were any audio benefits to using it. Is this supply okay to use with a Touch? Maybe the bigger question, should I even bother? Will there be any audio benefits to using it? Hope I am not opening a can of worms!

Name:  Power-Supply.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  37.1 KB
    The SBooster for the Touch is rated 5v 1.5 A. Works great for me, although I don't have an external USB drive connected (I use the USB port for audio). The PSU doesn't run hot at all. So your PSU should work too.

Iĺm using USB leads (supposedly rated at 2A) along with standard multi-usb power supplies.
    Seems to be working a treat and frees up a wall outlet.