Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Boom networking seems to have died

This is a strange one.

I have a Boom and three SB3 units. My Boom seems to have lost all networking capabilities. I have used it on wifi for years, and whilst it still connects to wifi and obtains an IP address, and sees the local music server, I can't ping the device nor can it play any music.

So I've swapped over to cable and it's doing exactly the same.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong with it?

Many thanks.

When WLAN card starts to fail - it happens gradually - so need to confirm that when you tested with cable, you verified that cable networking was being used (e.g. checked on Router, maybe LMS information page) - just plugging a cable into player will not change over from Wifi to cable.

edit:

Have you done a Xilinx reset ?

Thanks bpa, I went through the setup steps again on the unit and chose ethernet.

Maybe it's a sign, it is pretty old.....

Quote Originally Posted by jimwillsher View Post
    Thanks bpa, I went through the setup steps again on the unit and chose ethernet.
    OK - that probably rules out WLAN card although I had a failing WLAN card in a SB3 which caused resets even if using cable connection.

If Boom is unusable - replacing WLAN card is cheap but fiddly in Boom due to double sided tape and delicate ribbon connectors.
    Failing PSUs can also result in strange problems.

A Xilinx reset should be done as it can clear some strange issues.

JoeMuc2009 might have better suggestions. His blog shows common repairs and photos of innerds.
    https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/...d-display.html

Maybe it's a sign, it is pretty old.....
    Age is a possibility.
    I have one of the original Booms (speakers had to be replaced and screen display is v. uneven) - every so often it cannot keep its wireless signal - I have to disconnect power,wait and then power on again and then all is OK. Not sure if issue is in Boom or mesh router.