Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

[Solved] curious network traffic in-addr.arpa

Hi. This is not a problem, everything works fine. The question is out of curiosity.
    I've had my home internet upgraded and I took the opportunity to change my network setup with new virtual and physical devices, I now have a pi-hole doing DNS filtering. Flat network, no VLANs.
    In the logged internal queries it shows the squeezebox controller making queries to the pi-hole for 50.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa . My LMS server has the local ip of 192.168.5.50.
    In less than 24 hrs it makes 23K queries. Anyone has an insight as to why it tries this?
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 2021-07-27 at 14:27. Reason: typo correction

Where is 'internal queries' displayed on pi-hole? I don't see it, or any mention of my piCorePlayer when I log in as admin to pi-hole. Unless I am not drilling down properly?

Hi. By internal queries I meant those queries made by the clients and they appear in the "Query Log" section but this only shows the latest logs.
    Later, I can find them for instance in "Long-term data" > "Top Lists" . I chose "last 30 days" for the date range.
    Top Domains
    Domain Hits
    50.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa 93804

Top Clients
    Client Requests
    squeezeboxcontro.moomooland 93809

The in-addr.arpa is reverse DNS lookup. It seems the controller is trying to find the name of the LMS server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup

That's useful bpa, thank you.
    It makes sense. LMS is running on a freebsd jail with a statically assigned ip address outside the dhcp scope of the firewall dishing out ips. So there isn't a lease in the table for unbound to return a match.
    I can dig for a solution with this. Much obliged.