Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If there is an inclination to overcomplicate backups, using a solution based on zfs is ideal. My music gets ripped on my main PC and stored there, then rsynced to my nas running on xigmanas, based on zfs. Way overcomplicated, has a learning curve and is not for someone not interested in how storage works but I wouldn't use anything else. By running scheduled data scrubs, it automatically recreates any files that don't match the checksums. I know my data is safe.
    And of course there is another machine that backs up the nas. There are 3 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    If there is an inclination to overcomplicate backups, using a solution based on zfs is ideal. My music gets ripped on my main PC and stored there, then rsynced to my nas running on xigmanas, based on zfs. Way overcomplicated, has a learning curve and is not for someone not interested in how storage works but I wouldn't use anything else. By running scheduled data scrubs, it automatically recreates any files that don't match the checksums. I know my data is safe.
    And of course there is another machine that backs up the nas. There are 3 copies.
    Indeed, ZFS keeps your "active" copy safe from "bit rot", making sure back-ups aren't propagating corruption. I have a similar setup on Ubuntu, for music and family photos & videos. Everything else is expendable
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

I've actually taken a different approach. All my music (.FLAC) is on a SSD which I backup to another SSD in another building. It's around 1TB in total, and 8,000 files. Not a huge collection - I know others have 100k files - but I'd be upset if I lost it.

But that's still not really bombproof.

So I now have a copy stored in Azure Archive Storage. Pricing is minimal, at ú0.00074 per GB. Once you add replication charges it goes up, but my monthly Azure bill is around ú1.50. Yes, I would pay to download the files if I lost my local copy, but ú1.50 seems a small price to pay for that little bit of reassurance.

Jim

Wow scary story. I have As of current count on LMS, I have 41,103 tracks and 4,038 albums. It'd completely suck to lose them or even a 20% portion. I try to back up diligently and spread risk, but worst case scenarios can always hit. And if a global extinction event happened that renders every precaution useless, I'd guess I'd have other worries to deal with... :-P

That said, one thing I am doing is creating favorite playlists in Spotify that reflect my music history. They don't have every album in my collection, but it's very, very good stuff. And sounds pretty darn good to me too, even though I fully admit to having a somewhat snobbish audio quality standard.

I know you'll tell me stuff can happen to Spotify too (takeover, tech change, music rights disputes ..), but all in all creating good playlists there that I can reuse from anywhere seems a fun thing to do and time well spent, too.

Glad you recovered most of your library - and honestly if I look at mine these days, there's a significant chunk of stuff in there I'll probably never listen to again. So unless I miss it, it's probably just as well if it disappeared. :-D
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

After losing files due to corruption myself I test the whole library from time to time with audiotester. Excellent tool. http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php