Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox: ruined to redemption - a story

I a long-term SB user. I've had just about every pre-build player and I have built a few picoplayers.

I have a relatively large digital music collection.

Unfortunately as you may know from a post from me in the distant past, I had a digital disaster. My music library became corrupted and the backups only backed up the corrupt files. The corruption occurred due to an errant USB controller on the music library hard drive array.

It turns out 20-30% of all my files became corrupted; that's a lot of files.

I tried scanning for them and eliminating them but I had to do it manually and only got through a few letters in the alphabet before I became fatigued.

I then looked critically at the corrupted files and found a date range involved in the corruption (a few years worth). I then wholesale eliminated all the files in those date ranges.

I also had some older back-ups on several USB hardrives BEFORE I had the array enclosure that had the bad USB port.

I then put everything that I felt was uncorrupted onto a new hard drive array but SqueezeServer would not complete the scans.

I then scanned all the files again looking for corrupted cover art and eliminated a few hundred corrupted .jpg files.

After that, I tried using the latest version of SB, version 8.01, I believe.

For the first time in literally years since the disaster occurred, I now have the system up and running again.

I have incorporated some Yamaha MusicCast speakers which sound throughout the house and I'm rocking it.

I lost thousands of files but I am now adding in files gradually again for the first time in years.

Moral of the story: check file integrity periodically, I guess.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jimzak; 2021-07-25 at 10:11.
    http://zzzone.net
    http://have-a-nice-day.org
    http://www.last.fm/user/zzzoneDOTnet
    http://somethingsomethingsomething.net

SBS 7.9 - i7 nuc - Win 10 64bit
    5 Booms, 2 Radio, 3 Touch, 1 Duet, 5 piCorePlayers including 3 touchscreen, 1 Avy
    2 controllers, various tablets/phones
    Apps including iPeng, Squeeze Ctrl etc.
    Library: 250,000+ FLAC/MP3 files - 16 TB HD

"Always test the integrity of your backups"

I learnt this the hard way too. I ended up with years of backup tapes that were no good because the tape head was out of alignment.

I spent weeks with 2 new tapes drives making new backups, one with a head misaligned so it read the bad tapes.

I have my music on 3 USB drives, and sync from drive 1 to drive 2 to drive 3. Drive 3 is on LMS server, so as it is at the end of the line I know the previous copies are OK.

Great advice. Every so often, on one of my backup USB drives I'll run TEST CONVERSION (dbpoweramp). It takes a number of hours for about 116,000 files. This attempts to decode each file to confirm it is still ok. And for the FLAC files, it compares the builtin CRC (audio only) from the time of ripping to the calculated audio only CRC. An even better confirmation.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Reading this thread I thought I should look at my FLAC library. I ran a linux command
    Code:
    find ~/Music/Music/Flac/ROCK -type f -iname '*.flac' -print0 | xargs --null flac -wst
    several years ago and I ran it again tonight. Primarily it found files with
    Code:
    ERROR, MD5 signature mismatch
    Are those files salvageable and how would I go about that? I don't run DPoweramp as it is a windows program but I think it runs on Linux. Would that repair those files and would it do it en masse or do I have to process each file individually?
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1614639334 @ Tue Mar 2 00:11:57 CET 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.067
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

dbpoweramp wouldn't do any repair. But you may or may not need repair. if the MD5 your command line is comparing is for the entire file (vs the audio part of the file) then even an edit to the file metadata tag could cause a mismatch. You should be sure to use a tool that compares the CRC of the "audio only". I'm sure there are others besides dbpoweramp.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks Gary
    There is another oddity with the files I just discovered. The files properties states they were modified Nov 29 1979 although creation date and last access date seem correct. I will see what I can find in Linux that checks CRC of the "audio only"
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2021-07-26 at 08:19.

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Great advice. Every so often, on one of my backup USB drives I'll run TEST CONVERSION (dbpoweramp). It takes a number of hours for about 116,000 files. This attempts to decode each file to confirm it is still ok. And for the FLAC files, it compares the builtin CRC (audio only) from the time of ripping to the calculated audio only CRC. An even better confirmation.
    About seven months ago I purchased a new Windows 10 computer and set up PCp on a Pi 3B2+ to run LMS. Therefore, I have been moving a lot files around and this thread got my attention. My music files exist on the windows 10 (primary) computer and on a HHD connected to the Pi (LMS copy).
    I used the Test Conversion in DBpoweramp to check all my FLAC and MP3 files on both drives. A corrupt file existed on both drives; I suspect it arrived corrupt as it was in a folder I use when people bring their own music to listen to on my audio system. The test also discovered a corrupt file on the Pi LMS copy, but it was okay on the primary; that was an easy fix. Next I will check the third copy I keep on a HHD at my office.

If it matters, I use freefilesync when I add new music files.

Gary, thanks again for all the good information you provide on the forum!!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    About seven months ago I purchased a new Windows 10 computer and set up PCp on a Pi 3B2+ to run LMS. Therefore, I have been moving a lot files around and this thread got my attention. My music files exist on the windows 10 (primary) computer and on a HHD connected to the Pi (LMS copy).
    I used the Test Conversion in DBpoweramp to check all my FLAC and MP3 files on both drives. A corrupt file existed on both drives; I suspect it arrived corrupt as it was in a folder I use when people bring their own music to listen to on my audio system. The test also discovered a corrupt file on the Pi LMS copy, but it was okay on the primary; that was an easy fix. Next I will check the third copy I keep on a HHD at my office.

If it matters, I use freefilesync when I add new music files.

Gary, thanks again for all the good information you provide on the forum!!

Paul
    thanks Paul. I too use freefilesync to keep backups equivalent. But, not to be too confusing, I have essentially two chains of files. When I add new files, I add them separately to my office drive (copy/paste) and then have a backup of the office drive using freefilesync. Then at home I have do the same (copy and paste new files) and then use freefilesync to synchronize my home backups, my portable backup, etc. The idea is that my two "sets" of backups (work and home) are not potentially contaminated with each other.

Delving into Google I found this: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=111537.0 and https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4628 which may indicate there was an issue with FLAC encoder ffmpeg that can only be remedied by reencoding the orignal WAV file. Apparently if this is the case the file is "technically" undamaged. I can live with that.

Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    Delving into Google I found this: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=111537.0 and https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4628 which may indicate there was an issue with FLAC encoder ffmpeg that can only be remedied by reencoding the orignal WAV file. Apparently if this is the case the file is "technically" undamaged. I can live with that.
    also from that thread it looked like you could simply convert FLAC to FLAC and also fix the error message.