Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm going to contact ifi when i get chance to double check the device on Ubuntu Linux. Looking at those settings Slartibartfast you have a Topping E30 dac i take it? That was on my list of candidates.......

Okay then.....

After much playing and reading i have come to the conclusion the new and shiney is not always the way to go

I have run the Zen DAC V2 on Windows, MacOS and Linux with a variety of results. Windows is best, MacOS is okay and poor Linux is the worst. This i think is purely down to it having the latest 16x XMOS chip.

I have read reviews where Roon thinks it's a Technics device and i've read forums that iFi know they have to update the Firmware. From what i have read they will probably be writing a limoncello firmware for it (like they have for all the other devices in thier range). This tweaked DoP256 and sorted out clicking so it may sort out it's compatibility with Linux!?

I only use the DSD format as thats what i ripped my SACD's to and i like to have playback as native as possible. Looks like this won't be the case and i will have to convert them again to 24bit/88.2kHz flac. I only have about 20 odd so no big deal.

Just thought i would feed back my findings!

Cheers

Obiit

Quote Originally Posted by Obiit View Post
    Okay then.....

After much playing and reading i have come to the conclusion the new and shiney is not always the way to go

I have run the Zen DAC V2 on Windows, MacOS and Linux with a variety of results. Windows is best, MacOS is okay and poor Linux is the worst. This i think is purely down to it having the latest 16x XMOS chip.

I have read reviews where Roon thinks it's a Technics device and i've read forums that iFi know they have to update the Firmware. From what i have read they will probably be writing a limoncello firmware for it (like they have for all the other devices in thier range). This tweaked DoP256 and sorted out clicking so it may sort out it's compatibility with Linux!?

I only use the DSD format as thats what i ripped my SACD's to and i like to have playback as native as possible. Looks like this won't be the case and i will have to convert them again to 24bit/88.2kHz flac. I only have about 20 odd so no big deal.

Just thought i would feed back my findings!

Cheers

Obiit
    Hi Obiit

Do you still have problems with Yours Zen Dac V2 playing Dsf files ?

Quote Originally Posted by FMatos View Post
    Hi Obiit

Do you still have problems with Yours Zen Dac V2 playing Dsf files ?
    In the end i converted my Dsf files to Flac and play them that way. ifi still haven't released a firmware that allows greater flexibility with squeezlite. I do still keep looking though!

Cheers

In the end i converted my Dsf files to Flac and play them that way. ifi still haven't released a firmware that allows greater flexibility with squeezlite. I do still keep looking though!

Cheers
    Hi

I have a pCP running on a Raspberry PI4 connected to a ZEN DAC V2, and it plays natively without any problem Dsf files up to 256. If You want I can send You the configuration screens.

Fernando

Squeezelite settings

Name:  pCP ZEN DAC V2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  158.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FMatos View Post
    Squeezelite settings

Name:  pCP ZEN DAC V2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  158.4 KB
    I have tried those settings and got nothing so thats odd. Which firmware do you have FMatos?

Cheers

I have tried those settings and got nothing so thats odd. Which firmware do you have FMatos?

Cheers
    It┤s the "Firmware 7.2 ľ MQA / DSD256 (Cookies & Cream)", I never tried the other one but I think the result must be the same.

Some more questions:

Are you using the USB3 connection ?

In "Main Page" the "Squeezelite is running" is checked green ?

In the "Alsa Mixer" You get this ? :

Name:  Alsa Mixer.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  62.4 KB

Hello FMatos,

Sorry for not replying - not been a good month. That firmware was the same as mine and i have even upgraded to the latest one 7.3b and i still have no native DSD playing. As i converted all my rips to flac (except a few test ones), i have given up on playing native DSD.

Thats for the replies and the pointers it's been appreciated.

regards

Obiit