Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    6

    Ifi Zen Dac V2 no DSD with Squeezelite?

    Hello Folks;

    First post so please be gentle

    After being given a friends late fathers vintage amp i decided i needed headphone capabilities and my piCoreplayer/IQAudio DAC+/Pi3 wasn't up to it. After looking around i decided on an Ifi Zen Dac V2. Using pciCorePlayer i set it up fine but then when i came to playing one of my Native DSD files it just had white noise/hissing over the top.

    After about a weeks experimenting it would just either not play the DSD files at all or have the white noise/hissing.

    Then i found a post on here from ralphy about showing exactly what the sample format should be (shut down squeezlite -> go to diagnostics -> sound and then [INFO] Playback Hardware devices).

    These are the details

    Card 0, ID `Audio', name `iFi (by AMR) USB Audio'
    Device 0, ID `USB Audio', name `USB Audio', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 44100..96000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_3LE
    Buffer size range from 90 to 262144
    Period size range from 45 to 131072
    Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

    As the sample formats shown above do not corrolate with the DSD settings in squeezelite (format = dop (default if not specified), u8, u16le, u16be, u32le or u32be.) am i correct in assuming that i cannot get native DSD out of the ifi Zen Dac via squeezelite/piCoreplayer?

    Regards

    Obiit

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiit View Post
    Hello Folks;

    First post so please be gentle

    After being given a friends late fathers vintage amp i decided i needed headphone capabilities and my piCoreplayer/IQAudio DAC+/Pi3 wasn't up to it. After looking around i decided on an Ifi Zen Dac V2. Using pciCorePlayer i set it up fine but then when i came to playing one of my Native DSD files it just had white noise/hissing over the top.

    After about a weeks experimenting it would just either not play the DSD files at all or have the white noise/hissing.

    Then i found a post on here from ralphy about showing exactly what the sample format should be (shut down squeezlite -> go to diagnostics -> sound and then [INFO] Playback Hardware devices).

    These are the details

    Card 0, ID `Audio', name `iFi (by AMR) USB Audio'
    Device 0, ID `USB Audio', name `USB Audio', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 44100..96000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_3LE
    Buffer size range from 90 to 262144
    Period size range from 45 to 131072
    Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

    As the sample formats shown above do not corrolate with the DSD settings in squeezelite (format = dop (default if not specified), u8, u16le, u16be, u32le or u32be.) am i correct in assuming that i cannot get native DSD out of the ifi Zen Dac via squeezelite/piCoreplayer?

    Regards

    Obiit
    Can you show a screenshot of your squeezelite settings?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Can you show a screenshot of your squeezelite settings?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Here are the last settings i tried

    Name:  Settings1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  149.0 KB
    Name:  settings2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  54.8 KB

    Everything else is blank. I have tried all the other settings in the -D options. 0:dop hisses (as does no setting) the rest don't play anything.

    I have followed most guides with some odd results in track queueing and playback so i stripped it back to the bear minimum that another poster in here recommended (sorry i cannot remember who).

    Cheers

    Obiit
    Last edited by Obiit; 2021-07-26 at 03:08.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiit View Post
    Here are the last settings i tried

    Name:  Settings1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  149.0 KB
    Name:  settings2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  54.8 KB

    Everything else is blank. I have tried all the other settings in the -D options. 0:dop hisses (as does no setting) the rest don't play anything.

    I have followed most guides with some odd results in track queueing and playback so i stripped it back to the bear minimum that another poster in here recommended (sorry i cannot remember who).

    Cheers

    Obiit
    I was going to suggest trying different DSD settings but you have tried that. This is mine for a different DAC.
    Have a look here for any hints.
    https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.co...s-dsd.html?m=1

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,359
    If you are playing true DSD, then I would not force alsa to 16bit (Third field in the -a line). Let the value in the -D line take care of the bits.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  6. #6
    Senior Member ralphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,906
    The output from alsacap should list at least one DSD sample format for the iFi if it actually supports native DSD, which doesn't appear to be the case from your previous post.

    Eg from my iFi ione nano

    Code:
    Card 2, ID `Audio', name `iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio'
      Device 0, ID `USB Audio', name `USB Audio', 1 subdevices (1 available)
        2 channels, sampling rate 44100..384000 Hz
        Sample formats: S32_LE, SPECIAL, DSD_U32_BE
        Buffer size range from 16 to 131072
        Period size range from 8 to 65536
          Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'
    Then you need to use that format in the squeezelite settings. ie. -D 0:u32be
    Ralphy

    1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    6
    @slartibartfast - that site was useful in the beginning but it was also the one that gave all the weird issues with the queues so i removed it all.

    @paul- - i only added that to make a difference but it didn't so i shall remove it.

    @ralphy - This is whats confusing me as the Zen's light changes colour when it's playing Native DSD and it's sold as being able to do it.

    From the website "Formats DSD256/128/64, Octa/Quad/Double/Single-Speed DSD DXD(384/352.8kHz), PCM(384/352.8/192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1kHz) MQA" okay it only supposidly does DSD256 on Windows but it should do the rest elsewhere (MacOS does DSD64).

    Think i shall have to contact ifi to see if they can shed any light on it. https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/linux-usb...-0-compliance/ - looks like i have a DSD paperweight but i will contact them anyway.

    Cheers for the replies folks

    Obiit
    Last edited by Obiit; 2021-07-27 at 14:57. Reason: Updated info with url

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiit View Post
    @slartibartfast - that site was useful in the beginning but it was also the one that gave all the weird issues with the queues so i removed it all.

    @paul- - i only added that to make a difference but it didn't so i shall remove it.

    @ralphy - This is whats confusing me as the Zen's light changes colour when it's playing Native DSD and it's sold as being able to do it.

    From the website "FormatsDSD256/128/64, Octa/Quad/Double/Single-Speed DSD DXD(384/352.8kHz), PCM(384/352.8/192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1kHz) MQA" okay it only supposidly does DSD256 on Windows but it should do the rest elsewhere (MacOS does DSD64).

    Think i shall have to contact ifi to see if they can shed any light on it. https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/linux-usb...-0-compliance/ - looks like i have a DSD paperweight but i will contact them anyway.

    Cheers for the replies folks

    Obiit
    In Squeezelite settings what other choices do you see if you click "more" next to "Output setting"?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    6
    These are all the others @slartibartfast

    Name:  hwdevice.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  170.0 KB

    They unfortunately don't help as i have tried them

    I think it's purely the Zen DAC V2 not being recognised correctly by the USB Audio driver (though why it finds all the rest of the ifi range and not this i don't know).

    Knew i should have got the V1 but hey ho me and OH SHINEY....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiit View Post
    These are all the others @slartibartfast

    Name:  hwdevice.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  170.0 KB

    They unfortunately don't help as i have tried them

    I think it's purely the Zen DAC V2 not being recognised correctly by the USB Audio driver (though why it finds all the rest of the ifi range and not this i don't know).

    Knew i should have got the V1 but hey ho me and OH SHINEY....
    I am not sure what the list should look like for your DAC but mine looks like this, no mention of ALSA or audio. I think you said you had contacted IFI, it will be interesting to hear what they say about it.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •