Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All music files with Chinese and Japanese names missing after scan

Hello, I was running LMS 7.7.5 on Windows 10 64-bit and everything had been working fine. I just replaced my HDD with an SSD and copied all my music files to the new drive under the same folder name. After doing a media scan, I found that LMS was only able to discover songs with English names and I could no longer browse any folder or file with names in Chinese characters. That means I can longer listen to any Chinese songs on the Squeezebox Touch. See attached server.log and scanner.log. I used MusicBee to edit the tags and file names.

I tried re-installing LMS 7.7.5 and upgrading to 7.9.0 but got the same issue. When I browse the folders in the old F: HDD drive, I am able to view all the files - see first image. But in the new D: SSD drive, the folders or files in Chinese characters do not show up in the browser - see second image.

Please advise the remedy for this.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by soloaudio; 2017-01-29 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by soloaudio View Post
    I just replaced my HDD with an SSD and copied all my music files to the new drive under the same folder name.
    How did you copy them?
    "Who" owns these files?
    "Who" runs lms?
    When I browse the folders in the old F: HDD drive, I am able to view all the files - see first image
    That sounds like your copyjob is responsible for this...

After installing the new SSD drive, I used Windows File explorer to copy the music folders from the old HDD drive to the new disk (F to D).

My Windows 10 machine only has one "user". All the files are owned by "user".

I ran the LMS Control Panel as "Administrator". I compared the permission settings of D and F drives and they looked the same.

I just did a quick experiment and ripped a new CD and saved directly in the new drive (D). The LMS media scan did not pick up the new folder with the Chinese characters. However, if I switch the Media folder to F drive (HDD) and re-scan, the browser is able to view the new music files..
    Last edited by soloaudio; 2017-01-30 at 08:54.

File system type perhaps.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

I compared the Windows settings of the two drives (partition, file system, permissions) and they look identical.

If the LMS scanner had trouble processing the tags in the music files, then the browser should allow me to least view the folders on D drive. But right now, the browser does not even display the folders with Chinese names. Have over 5000 files and the scanner only picked up 2690..

I remember that LMS version 6 allowed users to browse any file without doing a scan first. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    File system type perhaps.
    Last edited by soloaudio; 2017-01-30 at 15:24.

But right now, the browser does not even display the folders with Chinese names. Have over 5000 files and the scanner only picked up 2690..
    bmf didnt use the database. its NOT the scanner (maybe its not lms anyway)
    copying via exploider isnt very .... best practise.
    storing mediafiles on a ssd is kind of overkill

did you cross check and copy one file from the ssd back to the hd and is that copied file shown?
    Did you copied one file from the ssd and renamed it to abc-demo.suffix (without chinese chars)?

For "browser", I meant opening 127.0.0.1:9000 and navigating the songes under "My Music -> Music Folder" in the Web Control page.

I just bought an SSD with 1TB space. SSD is quieter and is faster than HDD. Copying files using File Explorer is the most common and practical way in Windows.

If I copy a Chinese song from SSD to HDD without changing the name, the scanner will pick up the file.

If I remove the Chinese characters ("1-02 忘不了你.flac" -> "1-02.flac") from a music file name in SSD without moving the file, the scanner will pick up the song.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    bmf didnt use the database. its NOT the scanner (maybe its not lms anyway)
    copying via exploider isnt very .... best practise.
    storing mediafiles on a ssd is kind of overkill

did you cross check and copy one file from the ssd back to the hd and is that copied file shown?
    Did you copied one file from the ssd and renamed it to abc-demo.suffix (without chinese chars)?

Copying files using File Explorer is the most common and practical way in Windows.
    i think (better know) thats a kind of myth ;-)

Why should M$ add a tool - formerly just supplied by the Winblows Reskits - called robocopy to Winblows when exploider is most common and practical?

Are you sure, everything is the same on the new drive?
    Are these drives both ntfs?

Are both drives supporting 8.3 filename support?

Perhaps uninstall LMS and any remaining related folders (LMS preferences for example)in your C drive and try reinstalling LMS 7.9.
    I have hebrew characters in a few albums and have replaced the drive and all works fine(mind you I use Linux)
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:28:51 CEST 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

To dissect further . If a file have only English characters in the file names but the correct Chinese song titles and artists names in the tags does it work then ?

Did you move the whole OS to the SSD or it's just an extra storage drive ? And it is NTSF rigth ?

If you reinstalled windows ? What happens to double byte language support then ? Never installed any MS product that's way
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html