Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Volume adjustment/playlist question/bug??

I have a number of playlists combining Spotify tracks and tracks from my "in-house" server/music collection. When I have either Volume Normalization enabled in Spotty OR Smart Gain enabled, for a handful of tracks (definitely not all of them) the following behavior occurs:

The volume of the identical track played from the playlist is significantly louder (probably +6 or +7 db) vs. the same track played just from the internal server.

The only time these tracks are the same volume is when Spotty Volume Normalization is disabled AND, in player audio settings, Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain is set to "No Volume Adjustment".

I'm scratching my head about this as I don't think it was how it worked in the recent past. Is it possibly a problem with how the RG tags are read on those particular albums (all songs on those albums exhibit this behavior when incorporated in a playlist), or???????.

Can anybody shed light on this???
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

LMS 8.1.2 - 1612773843 on RPI4B with 1tb Samsung T5 SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by rgro View Post
    I have a number of playlists combining Spotify tracks and tracks from my "in-house" server/music collection. When I have either Volume Normalization enabled in Spotty OR Smart Gain enabled, for a handful of tracks (definitely not all of them) the following behavior occurs:

The volume of the identical track played from the playlist is significantly louder (probably +6 or +7 db) vs. the same track played just from the internal server.

The only time these tracks are the same volume is when Spotty Volume Normalization is disabled AND, in player audio settings, Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain is set to "No Volume Adjustment".

I'm scratching my head about this as I don't think it was how it worked in the recent past. Is it possibly a problem with how the RG tags are read on those particular albums (all songs on those albums exhibit this behavior when incorporated in a playlist), or???????.

Can anybody shed light on this???
    Bear in mind that smart gain will generally use track gain in a playlist and Spotty will use album gain by default. What happens if you choose album gain instead of smart gain?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Bear in mind that smart gain will generally use track gain in a playlist and Spotty will use album gain by default. What happens if you choose album gain instead of smart gain?

Thanks for the suggestion. So, here's what I did.

1. Spotty Volume Normalization set to off (saved).
    2. Set player Volume/Replay Gain setting to Album Gain (saved).
    3. Restarted LMS.
    4. Played a track from the server....sounded like RG gain was in effect
    5. Played exact same track, but from within the playlist; MUCH louder--as if the RG tag hadn't been read.

It's just weird...
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

Thanks for the suggestion. So, here's what I did.

1. Spotty Volume Normalization set to off (saved).
    2. Set player Volume/Replay Gain setting to Album Gain (saved).
    3. Restarted LMS.
    4. Played a track from the server....sounded like RG gain was in effect
    5. Played exact same track, but from within the playlist; MUCH louder--as if the RG tag hadn't been read.

It's just weird...
    Why did you turn off volume normalisation for Spotty. Of course it was louder.

Edit. Are you saying the same local track was louder in the playlist? That is weird.

Why did you turn off volume normalisation for Spotty. Of course it was louder.

Edit. Are you saying the same local track was louder in the playlist? That is weird.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The track I used is not a Spotify track. It's just a track from my internal database. The only difference is that it's louder when played from within the playlist.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------

That's exactly what I'm saying. The track I used is not a Spotify track. It's just a track from my internal database. The only difference is that it's louder when played from within the playlist.
    I'll try to recreate the issue tomorrow. How did you create your playlist?

I'll try to recreate the issue tomorrow. How did you create your playlist?

Hah...I figured it out. I took a deep dive into the tracks on the playlist and found that, for some unknown reason, none of the RG tags had been saved when I added those particular tracks to the playlist. I deleted all the offending tracks and added them back in, double checked that the RG tags were there, turned Volume Normalization and Smart Gain back on and, voila, all is well!

No idea why the RG info didn't get saved along with those tracks. Another kind of weird, but I'm done with this now and really appreciate your time!
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------