Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux noob

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    In a recent thread one pCP user is using a USB HDD plugged into his router's USB port as a "cheapish" NAS.

Not as functional as a real NAS but probably easier to maintain than having your USB HDD on pCP if you want to access it from other devices for other purposes.
    I do actually think my router has two USB ports, so I might be able to work something out with that.

But for now i see no reason to not just use cPC for both fileserver and LMS. My only concern is that file throughput might be too small for some movies. But time will tell. And I'm away from home right now, so further testing will have to wait.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Muele View Post
    I do actually think my router has two USB ports, so I might be able to work something out with that.

But for now i see no reason to not just use cPC for both fileserver and LMS. My only concern is that file throughput might be too small for some movies. But time will tell. And I'm away from home right now, so further testing will have to wait.
    FYI upto and including the Pi3 the LAN port was 100mb and shared the same bus as the USB ports. This did from time to time cause throughput issues. The Pi4 separated the two and introduced a full 1Gb LAN port and is definitely a better solution for bandwidth intensive stuff.

Going back to my pCP Pi with files on NAS suggestion I didn't mention that in my case the NAS runs an instance of Plex - predominatly for movies - that also uses the same file store as LMS does on the Pi.

You could run Plex, LMS and Squeezelite on a Pi4 but not with pCP as the OS - it would have to be Raspberry OS with each component then added in.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Muele View Post
    I used to use an HDD plugged into a USB port on my router, but found it too slow and clunky (but routers may vary, I guess).

Fwiw, I use a Pi4 running Raspbian (or Raspberry Pi OS, as we are now supposed to call it, but probably won't, as it's far too awkward) as both my music server (ie, with LMS installed) and a NAS/fileserver (via SMB/CIFS).

I routinely stream video from it — it's wired direct to an Ethernet port on my router — either direct to PotPlayer on a wifi-connected laptop or using BubbleUPnP to access miniDLNA on the Pi4 and then rendering it via Chromecast, and have never had any significant problems doing so. (I do use an old wifi-connected Win8.1 box to run BubbleUPnP Server for transcoding, but it's generally not essential).

It can all sound rather daunting, especially if your tech background is in something other than Linux — I know, because mine was (excepting a few years, a couple of decades ago, dabbling with web stuff on Unix), but I've managed to sort it all out and keep it ticking over. And if I can, most people should be able to :-)
    Last edited by SpiderJon; 2021-07-23 at 07:37.
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a Pi4.

Another possibility is an Intel NUC: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1000374

By the time you get a case and PSU for a pi4 you're in the ballpark of the Celeron NUC...

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    pcp does have rsync.tcz extension available (from the Main Page/Extensions/Available). That's likely what you want I think. Then you could add a cron job as a user command on the Tweaks page to schedule the rsync.
    So I read a bit about rsync. And it doesn't seem very difficult.
    But when I try to set it up I just can't get it to work.

I can't find anywhere to test-run command lines from the pCP webpage. Is there such a place?
    So I wanted to SSH to it from my PC to do trial and error. But the login tc/piCore doesn't work. Is there any other login that should work?

So I took the shabang over to my monitor and started using User Command #1 and rebooting over and over.

For test purposes I stuck in a thumbdrive to not mess with all my existing data.
    I have mounted and SMB-shared the drives and confirmed that I have access to them.

I have tried lines along these:
    rsync -a /mnt/Data/Media/Music/Aura /mnt/stick
    and rsync -a /Data/Media/Music/Aqua/ /stick/

And I constantly get an error like: Creating static footer... rsync: change_dir "/Data/Media/Music/Aura" failed: No such file or directory (2)

I have also tried just syncing a single file in the root of /data with the same result.

I hope someone can help me along. It is pretty weird to have worked in IT for over 20 years and still be so helpless in something so seemingly simple.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Oh yeah, I have also tried putting a $ in front of rsync but then it shows some parse errors instead
    BR Mogens

I don't think the user commands is the way to go, I would focus on sorting out the ssh instead. I might have missed it earlier but how are you connecting with ssh and what's the error message?

It should be simple if pCP is connected to the network.

Are you following this how-to ? "Access piCorePlayer via ssh"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    It should be simple if pCP is connected to the network.

Are you following this how-to ? "Access piCorePlayer via ssh"
    Yes, that very How-to.

I always got a login error. But now all of a sudden I get in. Weird. I was very careful entering the password.

Ok so now I have an SSH connection to play with.
    But it only helps me a little. I now get separate errormessages for each folder (to and from). The to-folder complains about a lack of permissions. Strange since it is just a FAT formatted thumbdrive. I have even "Set write permissions"
    BR Mogens

Damned. Case sensitivity in the file system. I feel so stupid now.

Edit: that and not knowing if the smb share (which maps deeper in the file structure) or the actual mount is used.
    Last edited by Muele; 2021-07-26 at 14:40.
    BR Mogens