Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux noob

Linux noob

I know this post should probably be on a completely different part of the internet. I just don't know where.

So here goes:

I have a rather old server running. HP proliant micro. It consumes 40w and runs Windows Home server 2011. It gets a bit noisy every few months when it needs vacuuming.

All in all it is time for a replacement.
    I've got my hands on a Raspberry pi 4 in a nice enclosure. I also have a USB3 external disk for data and two USB2 external disks for off site backup.

What I imagine is installing a Linux with a desktop gui. I can connect a monitor and so on initially, but it will live headlessly and be accessed from a PC.

I pretty much only need it for LMS and file server for windows and android (phone and tv) with backup to one of the slow disks at a time.

On the old server I had it set up so that the backup disk would be synced up every night and once in a while I would swap out the backup disks so a reasonably new set of data lived off site. This was done with a tool called sync toy. It has been broken for years but I never bothered to do anything about it. But I want something similar on this new setup.

Can anyone help me get started on this?

I have dabbled a bit with Ubuntu years ago and I used to be an IT technician back when windows XP was the OS of choice. So I will be able to learn some new things. But I don't want to need to relearn a lot of stuff every time something small breaks.

Yesterday I got piCorePlayer up and running on the pi. Impressive how easy that was. But it doesn't seem to be able to serve all of my needs.

Thanks in advance.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Muele View Post
    Yesterday I got piCorePlayer up and running on the pi. Impressive how easy that was. But it doesn't seem to be able to serve all of my needs.
    What are your needs that are missing with picoreplayer ? It will help provide a baseline for answers.

I have a similar set of requirements, and were managing them all fine using PCP with LMS running on that, using SAMBA for file sharing of USB disks attached to the Pi. The only problem I ran into was that I couldn't get my disk to spin down when not in use (old WD drive with lots of known funniness in that area). So, I moved my drives to a second pi which I use more as a NAS, run piHole, syslog etc.. That one runs dietPi, which is debian based. I'm like you - tech windows skillset with a little bit of linux thrown in. I found dietPi to be a nice balance of usability and functionality.

You could of course run the whole lot on dietPi - it has packages for LMS and squeezelite available to install, but then you lose the whole lovely PCP UI and configuration. For me, that's worth running a separate Pi for - I've got 7 others running PCP just as players. The dietpi device acts as a central point for everything else - piHole was a must for me and had a maintained dietPi package.

On the sync front, you can use dietPi Sync, which again, is built in. https://dietpi.com/docs/dietpi_tools/#dietpi-sync
    Last edited by psketch; 2021-07-22 at 04:01.

I have a slightly different approach - a piCoreplayer based LMS with storage on a NAS mounted via NFS.

The NAS is question is an old Qnap that is now incapable of running LMS natively but as a file stoarage device it still works perfectly and of course I can use it for non LMS file storage, amongst other things, as well. This NAS backs up the files on a scheduled basis using its built in Backup app. In power terms it ofcourse has a slightly higher power usage than a Pi on its own but it is silent and its flexibility means that if I want to build a new Pi based LMS I can do so very simply. In fact I have 2 LMS servers pointing at the same file storage and a further one (piCoreplayer) located remotely that points at a fully synced copy of the files on a another NAS located at the remote location - because I use the same mount point in each instance playlists will work on all three.

For those that have a NAS but have found it now won't run LMS e.g. Synology following the perl upgrade this approach is a sensible, arguably slightly easier, alternative to a docker. It also means that there is not a single point of failure.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    What are your needs that are missing with picoreplayer ? It will help provide a baseline for answers.

Backup of the data.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I have a slightly different approach - a piCoreplayer based LMS with storage on a NAS mounted via NFS.
    Thanks. It's amazing what cheap computers can be used for these days. But the old server really has to go. Too much noise and power consumption.
    BR Mogens

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    I have a similar set of requirements, and were managing them all fine using PCP with LMS running on that, using SAMBA for file sharing of USB disks attached to the Pi. The only problem I ran into was that I couldn't get my disk to spin down when not in use (old WD drive with lots of known funniness in that area). So, I moved my drives to a second pi which I use more as a NAS, run piHole, syslog etc.. That one runs dietPi, which is debian based. I'm like you - tech windows skillset with a little bit of linux thrown in. I found dietPi to be a nice balance of usability and functionality.

You could of course run the whole lot on dietPi - it has packages for LMS and squeezelite available to install, but then you lose the whole lovely PCP UI and configuration. For me, that's worth running a separate Pi for - I've got 7 others running PCP just as players. The dietpi device acts as a central point for everything else - piHole was a must for me and had a maintained dietPi package.

On the sync front, you can use dietPi Sync, which again, is built in. https://dietpi.com/docs/dietpi_tools/#dietpi-sync
    I have setup up one the the backupdisks as datamount for pCP (as the main one still lives inside the old server) and it does spin down after a while not in use. It┤s an WD btw.

So, if only pCP can do the backup it would seem I am golden much more easily than I have dreamed.

I think I could bring home an old rpi3 from work without cost, to run with dietPi, but I would rather have a all in one solution.
    BR Mogens

Quote Originally Posted by Muele View Post
    I have setup up one the the backupdisks as datamount for pCP (as the main one still lives inside the old server) and it does spin down after a while not in use. It┤s an WD btw.

So, if only pCP can do the backup it would seem I am golden much more easily than I have dreamed.

I think I could bring home an old rpi3 from work without cost, to run with dietPi, but I would rather have a all in one solution.
    pcp does have rsync.tcz extension available (from the Main Page/Extensions/Available). That's likely what you want I think. Then you could add a cron job as a user command on the Tweaks page to schedule the rsync.

I definitely wanted piHole running somewhere, so a second pi which I run as "all things that aren't LMS" works fine for me.
    Last edited by psketch; 2021-07-22 at 07:36.

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    rsync.tcz
    Found it. Looks like I need to study a bit to set it up. That'l be another day. Maybe I'll have to ask a question or two here.

But for now I have everything else running and I have actually switched off the old server.

I would never have imagined it could be so easy to make this switch. I will be sure to make a donation to the pCP team's paypal.

And for this forum. It is so helpful. And I'm in awe how active it is.
    BR Mogens

In a recent thread one pCP user is using a USB HDD plugged into his router's USB port as a "cheapish" NAS.

Not as functional as a real NAS but probably easier to maintain than having your USB HDD on pCP if you want to access it from other devices for other purposes.