Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by verycd View Post
    You mentioned there was no noticeable difference in heat and performance between Pi3B+ and Pi4. Do the two units of yours have the same amount of RAM? I assume that may affect performance somehow? What is the optimal amount of RAM needed for LMS?
    A Pi4 with a decent case isn't a problem. Temperature graphs of my Pi4 (4GB ram) in a flirc case below, compared to a Pi3B+ in a metal case.

No idea what the optimal amount of RAM needed for LMS is. I used a Pi3B+ or ages, but prefer the added speed of a Pi4.

Name:  P3B.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  Pi4server.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  223.7 KB
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    Yes, and no. It ignores the selection of which modes are enabled - as these are per-player, and Material covers all players. But, any new modes added, or modes removed, will be reflected in Material's selection.

(This is one of my pet hates about other control points - that when you change player, the list of browse modes changes. I've had it where in SqueezeCtrl I browsed to the album I wanted to play, realised I was on the wrong player, switched player, and SqueezeCtrl went back to its home screen.)

Yes, Material saves settings when dialogs are closed.
    I will make sure I go to each player and set it. Just wondering if it is more useful to make browse modes library-specific rather than player-specific.

I will make sure I go to each player and set it. Just wondering if it is more useful to make browse modes library-specific rather than player-specific.
    You don't need to worry about the player specific settings when using Material Skin, just make sure settings/interface/My Music is correct.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

You mentioned there was no noticeable difference in heat and performance between Pi3B+ and Pi4. Do the two units of yours have the same amount of RAM? I assume that may affect performance somehow? What is the optimal amount of RAM needed for LMS?
    Maybe my response was a bit misleading. I mentioned that I am no pi hardware expert, and my comments were based largely on reading the heat aspect of the 4 vs 3b+ discussed in the forum -> good case, or heat sink it, not an issue.

My observation is not scientific at all. I used to have a 3b+ sitting on my desk, now I have a 4. I stick my hand on the case, no noticeable difference (but I am not A/B ing them

I have 4 pi systems I put together, 2 for me, 2 for friends - 3x 3b+ w/1GB, 1x 4 w/2GB

But these pi's rum only LMS and I don't pay any attention to them, I only rescan when I get a new CD or download, etc.

<edit - I think the common opinion is there is no reason not to buy a 4, unless the 3B+ get cheaper, you find a deal, etc. Right now there is about $10USD difference between the 3B+ 1GB, and 4 2GB. I will not buy any 3B+ unless I find a deal, used, etc.>

Jim
    Last edited by Redrum; 2021-07-28 at 03:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Maybe my response was a bit misleading. I mentioned that I am no pi hardware expert, and my comments were based largely on reading the heat aspect of the 4 vs 3b+ discussed in the forum -> good case, or heat sink it, not an issue.

My observation is not scientific at all. I used to have a 3b+ sitting on my desk, now I have a 4. I stick my hand on the case, no noticeable difference (but I am not A/B ing them

I have 4 pi systems I put together, 2 for me, 2 for friends - 3x 3b+ w/1GB, 1x 4 w/2GB

But these pi's rum only LMS and I don't pay any attention to them, I only rescan when I get a new CD or download, etc.

<edit - I think the common opinion is there is no reason not to buy a 4, unless the 3B+ get cheaper, you find a deal, etc. Right now there is about $10USD difference between the 3B+ 1GB, and 4 2GB. I will not buy any 3B+ unless I find a deal, used, etc.>

Jim
    Oh I see. I saw one rarely-used 3B+ called Abox (16G version) for 50 CAD online, not cheap. The RAM size is small for scanning large library. One need to download on another machine and transfer music to the harddrive if it is not practical to install other software and keep the HHD attached to the same 3B+ and do the downloading.
    Last edited by verycd; 2021-07-28 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You don't need to worry about the player specific settings when using Material Skin, just make sure settings/interface/My Music is correct.

Not sure what I did wrong but the music folder disappeared again. Just set it in settings>interface>my music. Hope it will remain. Right now it is there after closing the app and restarting.

BTW, where is the menu to switch servers? I can see my players are connected to another server and can move them to the current server in manage players. But there is no option for switching to the other server. Settings>server lead me to current server setting and options to shutdown or restart. Can't see the other server even after restarting the app. It will automatically connect to the last server although the other serve is also on and can be accessed from players and other apps.

Edited: found it, application settings>tap here to discover server.
    Last edited by verycd; 2021-07-28 at 14:10.

Oh I see. I saw one rarely-used 3B+ called Abox (16G version) for 50 CAD online, not cheap. The RAM size is small for scanning large library. One need to download on another machine and transfer music to the harddrive if it is not practical to install other software and keep the HHD attached to the same 3B+ and do the downloading.
    I was just offering my observations of a 3b+ (1GB) and 4 (2GB). I don't notice the difference, but because I don't pay attention, probably because a 3b+ has worked fine for me.

I just checked and I have about 16,000 tracks, 1,300 albums in my library. The last rescan (update, not wipe and rescan) took about 7 minutes. My server is a pi 3b+ with a 2TB USB HDD (not solid state). I have it setup with the LMS data and cache on a third partition on the SD card (helps in recovery from power failures).

Explaining a bit more (since you are new to picore). I have my library "master" on my PC's. I use SAMBA on picore (allows access to the pi HDD) and freefilesync (free PC software) to sync my library on the PC to the Pi HDD. So, I rip an new album to the PC, fix the tags, run ffs, then rescan. One nice benefit is I also use Samba/ffs to backup my critical PC files (photos, documents, etc) to the pi HDD. I also have a cabin with an identical setup, so I have "off site" backup/redundancy.

All of that for $100 (pi and HDD) per location - thank you pcp team and this community!!

Back to your post. I don't know the mechanisms of a scan (maybe someone in the know can explain), but i image that scan data is paged back and forth between the RAM and SD (cache). Could this be a dynamic page size (based on available RAM) and occur faster with more RAM? I don't know. Like I said, it doesn't matter how long a scan takes for me.

I'm not 100% clear on what you are trying to do, what you are building, perhaps you could clarify. Post your goal here and we will help you get there

Finally, $50 CAD is about $40 USD, sounds like a nice deal! I'd buy it <edit - I just noticed, 16GB is the SD Card, not the RAM >

Jim
    Last edited by Redrum; 2021-07-29 at 05:13.

I have to repost this question. Please let me know if I should start a new thread somewhere else to get attention from some developers. The LMS material skin app and my Touch player display the information and cover art of the previous track, not the current one. I did a few experiements and found it happens when shuffle is turned on and right after the first song, which means after the first song finishes, the display repeats the same info and art work again and then proceed to the second track when the third one is already playing. THe problem is always there regardless the playlist consists of just one album (folder) or multiple albums (folder with subfolders). If shuffle is unchecked, the display repeats the second track and then proceed the third while the fourth is playing. Obviously tracks are not of the same length, the display either skips the extra time or stops at the end and waits. Very intelligent.
    Last edited by verycd; 2021-07-29 at 19:07.

I have to repost this question. Please let me know if I should start a new thread somewhere else to get attention from some developers. The LMS material skin app and my Touch player display the information and cover art of the previous track, not the current one. I did a few experiements and found it happens when shuffle is turned on and right after the first song, which means after the first song finishes, the display repeats the same info and art work again and then proceed to the second track when the third one is already playing. THe problem is always there regardless the playlist consists of just one album (folder) or multiple albums (folder with subfolders). If shuffle is unchecked, the display repeats the second track and then proceed the third while the fourth is playing. Obviously tracks are not of the same length, the display either skips the extra time or stops at the end and waits. Very intelligent.
    I would start a new thread.
    I have seen similar but mostly when playing a playlist containing local tracks mixed with Spotify tracks. If my hard drive sleeps during a Spotify track then generally the following track shows the artwork and track info of the previous track. I have seen it happen when leaving a random mix of local tracks running for a long time but this seems more random. Shuffle was turned off. Your case seems to be different though.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I would start a new thread.
    I have seen similar but mostly when playing a playlist containing local tracks mixed with Spotify tracks. If my hard drive sleeps during a Spotify track then generally the following track shows the artwork and track info of the previous track. I have seen it happen when leaving a random mix of local tracks running for a long time but this seems more random. Shuffle was turned off. Your case seems to be different though.

Thanks. Posted on third-party software.