Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    Possible to sync without short interruption?

    When I sync a new player to a group that is currently playing, all player interrupt very briefly and then continue te play as the new one joins. I expect this isn't a bug, but just the way it works (I use LMS since 7.9 and now on 8.2 nightly having updates through everything). I saw this plugin with 'wait for next track' functio, but that doesn't work (or not like I imagined): https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/slim/syncoptions.

    Is there anyway to keep playing on other players when syncing a new player (I don't care about a short out-of-sync period) or is this impossible from a technical stand point?

    edit: to clarify, this also happens if the player is already in the sync group and turned on (from off). All players stop for second and then the whole group continues.
    Last edited by ASNNetworks; 2021-07-19 at 05:18.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    6,167
    Quote Originally Posted by ASNNetworks View Post
    When I sync a new player to a group that is currently playing, all player interrupt very briefly and then continue te play as the new one joins. I expect this isn't a bug, but just the way it works (I use LMS since 7.9 and now on 8.2 nightly having updates through everything). I saw this plugin, but it doesn't seem to do anything: https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/slim/syncoptions. I think the plugin is deprecated, since it's pretty old.

    Is there anyway to keep playing on other players when syncing a new player (I don't care about a short out-of-sync period) or is this impossible from a technical stand point?

    Look at the Group Player plugin. You can pre-define some sync groups using this and transfer playlists as and when needed.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net


    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Look at the Group Player plugin. You can pre-define some sync groups using this and transfer playlists as and when needed.
    Hi thanks for the suggestion! But in my case, that won't be very usable (and create a lot more automation issues). I use LMS with Home Assistant as well and tun on/off players based on presence. When I'm in my office, my office player automatically turns on which causes the short interruption. This is also the case if it's already in the sync group, but get's turned on. I have now clarified that in my post. So it's not only when syncing to the group, but also when it's already in the group but turning on (from off). So the group sync plugin won't really help in this case.

    I'm more curious if this interruption (when turning on a synced player) is there from a technical standpoint, or a way to remove this (and have a-synchronous audio for a few seconds). Turning a player off, doesn't result in a short interruption. So that's why I wondered why turning it on does.
    Last edited by ASNNetworks; 2021-07-19 at 02:54.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,615
    Quote Originally Posted by ASNNetworks View Post
    Hi thanks for the suggestion! But in my case, that won't be very usable (and create a lot more automation issues). I use LMS with Home Assistant as well and tun on/off players based on presence. When I'm in my office, my office player automatically turns on which causes the short interruption. This is also the case if it's already in the sync group, but get's turned on. I have now clarified that in my post. So it's not only when syncing to the group, but also when it's already in the group but turning on (from off). So the group sync plugin won't really help in this case.

    I'm more curious if this interruption (when turning on a synced player) is there from a technical standpoint, or a way to remove this (and have a-synchronous audio for a few seconds). Turning a player off, doesn't result in a short interruption. So that's why I wondered why turning it on does.
    I don't know but I have a feeling that if it could be done without an interruption it would be. Removing a player from a sync group has no effect on the other members so no interruption. I do agree it would be better without the interruption.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •