Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should songs from the same album be in the same directory ?

Hi,
    I have a script that put songs from new albums in a directory structure : <Artist>/<Album>/<Audio file>. In the case of a compilation the songs of the same album are scattered in as many directories as song artists.
    Is it a bad idea ?

I am asking the question because in LMS Album view, the album appears several times. Is my file organization the cause ?
    2 SB Classic. Hopefully a Community Squeeze soon.

Yes. Organization like that will cause problems with compilations. It's been a while since I really looked closely at it, so I'm not sure if there's some tagging trick to getting it working, but I know it's always been problematic.

One thing you can *try* (although I don't recall if it fixes the problem) is setting an album artist on all of these album tracks to 'Various Artists'. And make sure you have a COMPILATION=1 tag in all of the tracks.

Compilations are different to regular albums and the logic LMS uses at scan time is worth examining.
    First irrespective of what is in the Compilation tag if anything LMS will look at the contents of a folder. If it finds tracks by different track artists but no album artist it will treat the content of the folder as a compilation.
    Some people tag the album artist as something like Various Artists but this isn’t necessary and can cause issues.
    You can force the issue with the Compilation tag.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Compilations are different to regular albums and the logic LMS uses at scan time is worth examining.
    First irrespective of what is in the Compilation tag if anything LMS will look at the contents of a folder. If it finds tracks by different track artists but no album artist it will treat the content of the folder as a compilation.
    Some people tag the album artist as something like Various Artists but this isn’t necessary and can cause issues.
    You can force the issue with the Compilation tag.
    In this case the compilation tracks are not in the same folder. Each track is in a folder defined by Artist/Album so they are split over as many folders as there are artists on the album. Not what I would choose to do.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    In this case the compilation tracks are not in the same folder. Each track is in a folder defined by Artist/Album so they are split over as many folders as there are artists on the album. Not what I would choose to do.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Indeed

I meant to make it clear that the primary level that the scanner uses is folder - so yes all compilations tracks should be in a single folder not splattered around.
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Thanks to all of you for the advice !
    I will use a separate folder for compilations.
    2 SB Classic. Hopefully a Community Squeeze soon.

I think the other respondents were suggesting the track files should be *grouped* in one folder per release/album, not that there should be a compilations/ root folder (just to be clear).

A lot of people _do_ use a compilations/ folder for their own needs but it shouldn't be necessary.

Also, just to point out some background about the organisation you have ended up with which might help in the future. There are two types of artist field - one for the track (ARTIST) and one for the album (ALBUM_ARTIST). ARTIST has a longer history of support, and some software default to it. If the software is not clever enough to use ALBUM_ARTIST in preference, or it ignores the COMPILATION tag, or it doesn't perform some other heuristic, you'll get this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    One thing you can *try* (although I don't recall if it fixes the problem) is setting an album artist on all of these album tracks to 'Various Artists'. And make sure you have a COMPILATION=1 tag in all of the tracks.
    See my sig links.

Imo, the best solution for ALL rips of any type is:

1. group all tracks in one folder per CD.
    2. Assign an AA tag value to all tracks.
    3. Assign a comp tag = 1 to anything u want identified as a comp.
    4. Change the LMS default value of "Various Artists" to something not in your tags as LMS has a nasty string conflict bug to this day, (see the links)

If u do the four things above, your tracks will work sensibly in ALL software, not just LMS.
    Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    See my sig links.

Imo, the best solution for ALL rips of any type is:

1. group all tracks in one folder per CD.
    2. Assign an AA tag value to all tracks.
    3. Assign a comp tag = 1 to anything u want identified as a comp.
    4. Change the LMS default value of "Various Artists" to something not in your tags as LMS has a nasty string conflict bug to this day, (see the links)

If u do the four things above, your tracks will work sensibly in ALL software, not just LMS.
    That’s one approach but not what I’d recommend. I know BJW will disagree vehemently.

My approach is
    1. Group all tracks in one folder per CD set but ensure discnumber values are set.
    2. For compilations leave AA blank in all cases.
    3. Remove all compilation tags completely.
    4. Leave LMS settings as “Various Artists” or set it to whatever you want to group compilations by.

NB.
    1. My approach may not work for all software but it does work for LMS.
    2. LMS compare the value of AA with A. If A differs across the album but AA is blank it’s a compilation. You can force the issue with compilation tag=1 but it shouldn’t be necessary.

So either way will work but choose which and stick to the schema
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio