Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Issue with files that have Russian tags

Hey all,

I've noticed that if I playback an album that has Russian text in the artist metadata, the playlist appears as empty, even though the tracks actually play.
    I've added an image showing this - as you can see, in the track browser (left hand wise), I can see the details fine, but in the playlist, there's nothing, though you can see details like number of tracks in the list, and total duration.

This is the version I'm using:
    Code:
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.1.2 - 1624550702 @ Thu Jun 24 18:35:32 CEST 2021
    Hostname: 323b390dec42
    Server IP Address: 10.8.0.2
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Debian (Docker) - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.24.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.044
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Total Players Recognized: 4
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm ... It may not be a Russian character thing ...
    I've come across some other DSD files that have the same problem. This release: https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/...olas-daughter/

Not sure what debugging to do to dig into this further.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
    I've come across some other DSD files that have the same problem. This release: https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/...olas-daughter/

Not sure what debugging to do to dig into this further.
    Seems to be working for me with FLAC...

Name:  Screenshot from 2021-07-17 08-14-57.png
Views: 57
Size:  71.6 KB

I've come across some other DSD files that have the same problem.
    Pretty sure it's not Cyrillic characters that are the cause (I have a few albums tagged with Cyrillic and they display ok).

But I have had the 'blank' queue problem on a few occasions, and as far as I can tell it's always been a tagging issue.

With .mp3 files the "Rebuild MP3 stream" function in foobar2000 fixes it. (Basically, it strips all existing tags and rewrites them 'properly', which purges any corrupted tags Ś this is why I assume it's a tagging issue that causes the blank queue.)

From what little I know about .dsf files, they use ID3V2 compliant tags. But I don't know how you might 'fix' them.
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a Pi4.

What might a corrupt, or non compliant tag look like?
    I've been using the music brainz Picard application to correct tags, might double check these questionable ones.

Sent from my M2101K7AG using Tapatalk

What might a corrupt, or non compliant tag look like?
    I've been using the music brainz Picard application to correct tags, might double check these questionable ones.
    The problem is that it could be, and probably is, something you can't see in a tag editor Ś eg, non-printable characters in the tag, or just something amiss somewhere in the ID3 frames that stops LMS parsing the tags.

I've had files that looked 'perfectly' tagged (I'm just a bit obsessive about tagging), but which LMS either refused to read the tags from, or else split into, say, 2 albums for no apparent reason. For whatever reason, rebuilding the mp3 stream fixed them. (Sometimes fixing the VBR header also worked, but that's obviously not relevant in your case.)
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a Pi4.