Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS / Squeezelite on an Android TV box or phone

I've read on the internet that installing Linux onto an Android device is now relatively simple. There seem to be a number of options available for rooted and non rooted Android devices and therefore wondering whether anyone has successfully installed a Linux distro and then LMS and/or Squeezelite onto one and if so what the results were?

IF and it is a big IF this can be made to work an old Android phone with 4G with LMS/Squeezelite and Material pointing at localhost and Online Music Library Integration would make a great self contained mobile server/player for use anywhere.

Anyone have any experience of re-purposing an oldish Android in this way?
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

My only experience is that I looked into it and decided that if it is possible it is far beyond my capability. Termux is an "Android terminal emulator and Linux environment app" (that's a quote from termux.com) and is available from the Play Store and F-droid. Somewhere on one of the pages linked from that site, I once found an old forum post in which someone asked if squeezelite could be compiled for Termux. There was no response.

It would be great if someone could find a way to make this combination work. Good luck to anyone who feels capable of taking it on.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    My only experience is that I looked into it and decided that if it is possible it is far beyond my capability. Termux is an "Android terminal emulator and Linux environment app" (that's a quote from termux.com) and is available from the Play Store and F-droid. Somewhere on one of the pages linked from that site, I once found an old forum post in which someone asked if squeezelite could be compiled for Termux. There was no response.

It would be great if someone could find a way to make this combination work. Good luck to anyone who feels capable of taking it on.
    I've seen Termux but concluded that was not the way to go and that things have now moved on a bit. Its seems that you can install a full distro with Ubuntu and Debian both mentioned plus some other less mainstream distros.

I suspect LMS would be an easier install than Squeezelite as the latter would require you to somehow gain full control of the Android audio system but perhaps a variant of this idea would be a Linux LMS plus SB Player and Material apk on the Android itself.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I've seen Termux but concluded that was not the way to go and that things have now moved on a bit. Its seems that you can install a full distro with Ubuntu and Debian both mentioned plus some other less mainstream distros.

I suspect LMS would be an easier install than Squeezelite as the latter would require you to somehow gain full control of the Android audio system but perhaps a variant of this idea would be a Linux LMS plus SB Player and Material apk on the Android itself.
    In the past, I have experimented with several methods of installing a full Linux distro on an Android phone, but not recently. Things may have improved, although my impression is that each generation of Android makes it more difficult to do anything useful in a chroot. My experience was that it was cool to have Debian or Ubuntu running on the phone, but had little practical value, especially on an unrooted phone.

However, if it is possible, as you suggest, to get LMS running in a "headless" chroot and let Android apps take care of player and control functions, that would have great value. I hope someone can work on that. It is beyond my skill level.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.