Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    14

    Just wanted to say thanks. It all works perfectly

    I have been collecting music for years. Zillions of CDs that I've ripped. I've finally spent some time sorting everything out in terms of organising my music and some decent kit to listen to things on. Not spent any kind of real money. But I've put some effort in to making it all work.

    I now have

    • An old Denon PMA-255UK amp I got off eBay that sounds great to me.
    • Mordaunt Short M20 speakers, as I saw a deal recently and my old B&W speakers were failing.
    • A 512MB Raspberry PI Model B with a Wolfson DAC HAT (ie, the ones you could get from Element14 a few years back) running PiCorePlayer. Thanks to PiCorePlayer for supporting this DAC as I know it is not common.
    • All my music is on my Windows laptop. I still use iTunes in fact. But I also use Resilio Sync to "mirror" my music to an old PC set up with Debian 10 running Logitech Media Server whilst the music library is kept safe on a RAID array using some old disks.
    • Am then using the Materal Skin plus the Music & Artist Information plug-in as my control on my phone.


    This is working perfectly for me, and can't think what else I need. So I just wanted to say a big thanks to this community which has made this possible. Thanks!
    Last edited by rincage; 2021-07-03 at 14:37.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Greg Erskine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,380
    Great little setup you have there, especially as you are using mostly recycled parts at little or no cost.

    I backup onto non-powered, non-spinning USB disks. They last longer than a HDD in RAID.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Great little setup you have there, especially as you are using mostly recycled parts at little or no cost.

    I backup onto non-powered, non-spinning USB disks. They last longer than a HDD in RAID.
    The Resilio Sync software is actually really rather cool. It also mirrors my music to a 512GB microsd card on my phone (for when I'm out and about) plus the wife's PC too. So hopefully it should be pretty safe with x4 copies.

    I probably spent more on that 512GB microsd than all the other bits

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO, USA
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by rincage View Post
    I have been collecting music for years. Zillions of CDs that I've ripped. I've finally spent some time sorting everything out in terms of organising my music and some decent kit to listen to things on. Not spent any kind of real money. But I've put some effort in to making it all work.

    I now have

    • An old Denon PMA-255UK amp I got off eBay that sounds great to me.
    • Mordaunt Short M20 speakers, as I saw a deal recently and my old B&W speakers were failing.
    • A 512MB Raspberry PI Model B with a Wolfson DAC HAT (ie, the ones you could get from Element14 a few years back) running PiCorePlayer. Thanks to PiCorePlayer for supporting this DAC as I know it is not common.
    • All my music is on my Windows laptop. I still use iTunes in fact. But I also use Resilio Sync to "mirror" my music to an old PC set up with Debian 10 running Logitech Media Server whilst the music library is kept safe on a RAID array using some old disks.
    • Am then using the Materal Skin plus the Music & Artist Information plug-in as my control on my phone.


    This is working perfectly for me, and can't think what else I need. So I just wanted to say a big thanks to this community which has made this possible. Thanks!
    If you are running on Windows, you might try Squeezelite-X, which gives you a nice (if I don't say so myself) Windows10 client/player. Available for free from Microsoft Store. Works with Material Skin as well.

    R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    340
    I second this - I use Squeezelite-X on a daily basis in my home office coupled with Material. It is an excellent way to access LMS.

    Quote Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
    If you are running on Windows, you might try Squeezelite-X, which gives you a nice (if I don't say so myself) Windows10 client/player. Available for free from Microsoft Store. Works with Material Skin as well.

    R Greg Dawson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •