Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Alright. Lots of changes here, hope I didn't break anything.

First, Update the bluetooth extensions from the Bluetooth web page......after it's done, don't reboot.
    Second, Goto main, and run "Patch Update" this will update your web pages to v00017

Then reboot.

On the bluetooth page, you should see a new column. This column is only valid for speakers. This setting is not smart, check your logs to see what is happening.
    Name:  2021-07-25_18-14.png
Views: 211
Size:  21.0 KB

The logs show the device capabilities, and the current codec......if it needs to change based on what you have set in the web page, you will see selecting a different codec.
    Name:  2021-07-25_18-16.png
Views: 199
Size:  6.4 KB

This is where I'm not sure what to expect between devices. Some devices, will change gracefully. Some devices will disconnect, then reconnect with the requested codec. It's possible that a device might get stupid and stay disconnected. The good thing is that most devices (or bluez) remember the last codec used, so future connections should connect right away with the desired codec.

Then for the real argument......which sounds better
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Alright. Lots of changes here, hope I didn't break anything.

First, Update the bluetooth extensions from the Bluetooth web page......after it's done, don't reboot.
    Second, Goto main, and run "Patch Update" this will update your web pages to v00017

Then reboot.

On the bluetooth page, you should see a new column. This column is only valid for speakers. This setting is not smart, check your logs to see what is happening.
    Name:  2021-07-25_18-14.png
Views: 211
Size:  21.0 KB

The logs show the device capabilities, and the current codec......if it needs to change based on what you have set in the web page, you will see selecting a different codec.
    Name:  2021-07-25_18-16.png
Views: 199
Size:  6.4 KB
    So far, so good! Tested with 'offending earbuds' and stutters no longer apparent. That'll do me, as they say...
    Many thanks.

I'll test other headsets over the next couple of days.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mind confirming which codec you are using. Please try AAC if you are not.

Do you mind confirming which codec you are using. Please try AAC if you are not.
    Will do....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Will do....

Done. Switched to AAC on urbanista buds (previously stuttered) - now cristal clear. Stopping and reconnect worked fine.

Automatic speaker connection not happening

Background: I have a Pi Zero W that lives in a bit of cupboard roof space in the middle of the house. It's been sitting there for ages running pCP 6.0.0, 24/7, solely serving my Bluetooth headphones on demand. All seems rock-solid reliable, even the wifi and Bluetooth work happily together.
    Thinking it was time to upgrade to pCP8 and the latest Bluetooth I flashed a new SD card to test on a spare Pi Zero W before climbing the step ladder to the cupboard. The basics are working but the behaviour is not quite as good as what I've been used to. Here's what's happening on the new SD card:

* LMS (running on a Pi 3B) recognises my paired headphones as a speaker, and I can listen to my music.
    * When I switch on the headphones Bluetooth does not automatically connect.
    * Clicking the 'Connect' button on the piCorePlayer Bluetooth web page works, and the music then starts to play.
    * Play begins at the start of whatever is in the playlist, and not at the location which was last reached.

The previous set-up would simply connect and resume playing whenever I turned the headphones on and disconnection would pause the playlist at whatever point I'd reached. That's what I'd like to happen now.

I don't really know where to start looking. One thing I tried was choosing some different Audio Outputs on the Squeezelite page, including Headphones, HDMI and USB audio. I've currently got "None" selected, but there was no change to the Bluetooth connection whichever I tried.
    Attached are two BT log files, one from before the extensions update (as per Paul's post a few before this post) and one from after. My headphones show up as "WH-1000XM3"

Any help to get the automatic Bluetooth re-connection going will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Viragored; 2021-07-29 at 15:50.
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 8 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Auto connection works fine for me. Nothing changed in this function, other than software/kernel are newer. The connection is initialed be the remote device. It’s possible the remote device is a bit confused due to the new connection profile. Did you try completely resetting your headphones?

As for play stop/resume. The device has nothing to do with it. That’s up to LMS. We send it a stop command and a play command.
    Last edited by paul-; 2021-07-29 at 16:22.

Auto connection works fine for me. Nothing changed in this function, other than software/kernel are newer. The connection is initialed be the remote device. It’s possible the remote device is a bit confused due to the new connection profile. Did you try completely resetting your headphones?
    Thanks for the tip, Paul. I did a factory reset on the headphones (something new I learnt today, reset headphones is possible...), deleted the pairing from pCP, re-paired and now Bluetooth re-connection works as before.

Something else I discovered is that a recent major update to my Samsung A5 Android phone has done all sorts of things to the Bluetooth, and it's possible the phone was interfering with the auto-connection to pCP. I'd turned off Bluetooth on the phone to keep it out of the picture, then discovered another setting deeper down which enables the phone's Bluetooth to talk to other devices even when Bluetooth is off. The clue was the phone asking if I wanted to pair the headphones, even with Bluetooth off!

Thanks again, Paul :-)

Update: The cause seems to be my mobile phone. The headphones require a Sony app for control, so I had to use that app after the factory reset to set the sound mixer that I like and turn off the crazy sounds the headphones make by default. And now I'm back to the headphones not connecting automatically to the Pi's Bluetooth. Oh well... At least they sound good when they are connected!
    Last edited by Viragored; 2021-07-29 at 21:13.
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 8 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Bluetooth is more complicated than it seems. Sony is a bit odd too.

Unable to enable Bliuetooth

I did a clean install of 8 on a Pi3 with HiFiBerry DAC. Iwas previously running an older version of piCorePlayer with no problem.
    I'm now getting the following when I try to install Bluetooth;
    [ INFO ] Downloading Bluetooth extensions...
    Downloading: python3.8-evdev.tcz
    Error retreiving https://repo.picoreplayer.org/repo/1...n3.8-evdev.tcz
    Checking MD5 of: python3.8-evdev.tcz.....FAIL
    MD5 of tcz: 62929abc20f395b94ce68fe982b089bb python3.8-evdev.tcz
    MD5 check: 25741c9e547a69ec397e233d7947cfe4 python3.8-evdev.tcz
    There was a error downloading pcp-bt8.tcz.
    Retrying extension pcp-bt8.tcz...in 5 seconds.
    Retrying extension pcp-bt8.tcz...in 5 seconds.
    Max retries reached.
    [ ERROR ] Error Downloading Bluetooth, please try again later.

I can download the file to my PC so my internet connection doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any suggestions how to fix this welcome.