Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    It the files are split correctly then total size of the small files will equal the size of the large one (assuming there is no metadata).
    Actually, the corrupt files are larger:

Original FLAC: 316.058.045
    Sum of correct split: 316.006.217
    Sum of corrupt split: 318.737.397

Each single corrupt file is 300 to 500 kB larger than the working one.

Quote Originally Posted by bvrulez View Post
    Actually, the corrupt files are larger:

Original FLAC: 316.058.045
    Sum of correct split: 316.006.217
    Sum of corrupt split: 318.737.397

Each single corrupt file is 300 to 500 kB larger than the working one.
    Depending on the tool, metadata maybe copied from original into each of the smaller files (e.g. a copy of original embedded cover image is added to each of the split files.) If metadata is the issue, a possibility is that a badly created metadata might ruin a flac file.

Can you run "flac -t" to test the integrity of the "corrupt" files and may give some info.

Is there metadata embedded in the original Flac file ?
    If you remove the metadata before splitting - does the file split OK.

`flac -t` on the original large file and on the corrupt ones gives "ok" without further notice. Maybe there is a flag for verbosity, but I did not find it.

Artwork might be an issue as there was artwork included in the folder. But I think I removed all of it only after the split.

I also renamed the CUE file before splitting because I figured that it was not important. I renamed it to "1.cue" and left the "original.flac" the same so the CUE could find it. I could then run just "split" in any folder (via my "alias split='~/go/bin/unflac 1.cue'"). It always worked but maybe this had something to do with it. Unfortunately, I already deleted most of the original files. I will create them again and test again.

Artwork might be an issue as there was artwork included in the folder. But I think I removed all of it only after the split.
    I would think only embedded artwork would matter. While CUE file can provide some metadata, I don't think CUE file can reference artwork.

Flac can provide "analysis" but IIRC it is frame by frame which is too detailed.

If you have ffmpeg installed then ffplay (which is normally is bundled with ffmpeg) can provide level of details when trying to play a file. The info displayed separates out metadata from audio and so may help.
    Commands would be

ffplay -v info testinput.flc
    or
    ffplay -v trace testinput.flc

I tested and the file played through, but it did not stop. I don't know if it should stop. It's just 11 minutes I think.

After 90 minutes I stopped with Ctrl-C.

Code:
    $ ffplay -v info 01\ -\ Beethoven\:\ Symphony\ No.7\ in\ A\ major\,\ Op.\ 92\ -\ 1.\ Poco\ sostenuto\ -\ Vivace\ \(195....flac 
    ffplay version N-102716-gc8778606b3 Copyright (c) 2003-2021 the FFmpeg developers
      built with gcc 5.4.0 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.12) 20160609
      configuration: --prefix=/home/ben/ffmpeg_build --pkg-config-flags=--static --extra-cflags=-I/home/ben/ffmpeg_build/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/ben/ffmpeg_build/lib --extra-libs='-lpthread -lm' --ld=g++ --bindir=/home/ben/bin --enable-gpl --enable-gnutls --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libdav1d --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-nonfree
      libavutil      57.  0.100 / 57.  0.100
      libavcodec     59.  1.101 / 59.  1.101
      libavformat    59.  2.102 / 59.  2.102
      libavdevice    59.  0.100 / 59.  0.100
      libavfilter     8.  0.101 /  8.  0.101
      libswscale      6.  0.100 /  6.  0.100
      libswresample   4.  0.100 /  4.  0.100
      libpostproc    56.  0.100 / 56.  0.100
    Input #0, flac, from '01 - Beethoven: Symphony No.7 in A major, Op. 92 - 1. Poco sostenuto - Vivace (195....flac':
      Metadata:
        artist          : Carl Schuricht, Radio SO Stuttgart
        performer       : Carl Schuricht, Radio SO Stuttgart
        album           : Schumann: Symphony No.2 (1959.10.31) - Beethoven: Symphony No.7 (1952.10.24)
        title           : Beethoven: Symphony No.7 in A major, Op. 92 - 1. Poco sostenuto - Vivace (195...
        genre           : Classical
        track           : 1
        tracktotal      : 8
        encoder         : Lavf59.2.102
      Duration: 00:11:44.09, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 607 kb/s
      Stream #0:0: Audio: flac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16

I tested and the file played through, but it did not stop. I don't know if it should stop. It's just 11 minutes I think.
    Flac was orginally devised for files with a finite length so there is a header which includes info including the duration of the file. However since Flac is now used for streaming - this file header is now often just "advisory" and some players will play the full contents of the file ignoring the duration as indicated in the header (as it could be wrong). Some players have options to ignore or use the gheader duration when playing the file.

Code:
    q
    Input #0, flac, from '01 - Beethoven: Symphony No.7 in A major, Op. 92 - 1. Poco sostenuto - Vivace (195....flac':
      Metadata:
        artist          : Carl Schuricht, Radio SO Stuttgart
        performer       : Carl Schuricht, Radio SO Stuttgart
        album           : Schumann: Symphony No.2 (1959.10.31) - Beethoven: Symphony No.7 (1952.10.24)
        title           : Beethoven: Symphony No.7 in A major, Op. 92 - 1. Poco sostenuto - Vivace (195...
        genre           : Classical
        track           : 1
        tracktotal      : 8
        encoder         : Lavf59.2.102
      Duration: 00:11:44.09, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 607 kb/s
      Stream #0:0: Audio: flac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16
    ffplay is a bit odd sometimes it keeps "playing" silence beyond end of file.

The duration from the header was shown to be 11:44:09 but there could be more data in the file and so ffplay keeps playing - the rubbish at end.
    Check if there is rubbish at end of file - the file size should be about 53416000 bytes long.

The metadata in this file is short maybe 1-2kbytes, no cover art - it doesn't explain the extra length in split files.

Check if there is rubbish at end of file - the file size should be about 53416000 bytes long.
    Thanks for all the valuable information!

There seem to be several issues at work. I had some directories with "#" in them and removing them made all the files playable.

But some of them are still not okay. They can be loaded but then GNOME player cannot play anything. And LMS does not display them.

I will investigate further.

There seem to be several issues at work.
    Usually the case in weird problem.

I had some directories with "#" in them and removing them made all the files playable.
    Interesting. "#" has special signifcance in URLs - sometime LMS uses a "file://" with files.

They can be loaded but then GNOME player cannot play anything.
    Be more specfic - they do not play (i.e time counter does not move) or timecounter moves and no audio.

And LMS does not display them.
    If files don't appear in LMS Music folder - I'd first check permissions.

I'd also try ffplay as it is verbose about what it is doing.

My files get corrupted by easytag. The are playable after splitting.

But when I add a picture in mp3tag and save them they get unplayable.

I run easy3tag version 2.4.2. (I think I wrote mp3tag in my past postings.)

I even found some links:

https://community.mp3tag.de/t/2-52-f...cover/13771/24

EDIT: I think my picture files are too large (300kB). I tried with 30kB and the bug did not happen.

EDIT2: The link is for mp3tag, but the problem is the same.
    Last edited by bvrulez; 2021-07-12 at 12:58.

Usually the case in weird problem.

Interesting. "#" has special signifcance in URLs - sometime LMS uses a "file://" with files.

Be more specfic - they do not play (i.e time counter does not move) or timecounter moves and no audio.
    The "#" in the directories came from the splitting software that created the directories. The files did not play in the sense that the time counter did not move.