Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LMS unable to play or read FLAC from large FLAC (concert)

For the first time I encountered that some disks are encoded as a single FLAC file (or APE, but FLAC in my problematic case) and a according CUE file.

My LMS can find those large FLAC files in the "browse folder" section and I can play them by playing the CUE file.

However, I am not able to play the FLAC directly. I can not click on it and the only icon that is showing is a "heart", so I can "save" it as a favorite.

My problem is, that I split some of my larger FLAC files with
    Code:
    shnsplit
    into several single FLAC files. My intention was that I could get rid of the CUE file and just play a whole folder or a single part of the concert.

The problem now is that those small files are not recognised by LMS. Neither do the small FLAC show up in the "browse folder" section. The folders are just empty.

Nor does LMS scan those files for the library.

Is this just a hiccup of my system or is there some fundamental difference in the FLAC that are playable without a CUE and other FLAC files that need a CUE to be played and recognised as music?

I am useing 8.1.1.

EDIT: I just realized I am also not able to play the FLAC with a normal player. Maybe something got lost when I split them. However, I was able to save metadata on them with mp3tag.
    Last edited by bvrulez; 2021-07-11 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by bvrulez View Post
    For the first time I encountered that some disks are encoded as a single FLAC file (or APE, but FLAC in my problematic case) and a according CUE file.

My LMS can find those large FLAC files in the "browse folder" section and I can play them by playing the CUE file.

However, I am not able to play the FLAC directly. I can not click on it and the only icon that is showing is a "heart", so I can "save" it as a favorite.

My problem is, that I split some of my larger FLAC files with
    Code:
    shnsplit
    into several single FLAC files. My intention was that I could get rid of the CUE file and just play a whole folder or a single part of the concert.

The problem now is that those small files are not recognised by LMS. Neither do the small FLAC show up in the "browse folder" section. The folders are just empty.

Nor does LMS scan those files for the library.

Is this just a hiccup of my system or is there some fundamental difference in the FLAC that are playable without a CUE and other FLAC files that need a CUE to be played and recognised as music?

I am useing 8.1.1.

EDIT: I just realized I am also not able to play the FLAC with a normal player. Maybe something got lost when I split them. However, I was able to save metadata on them with mp3tag.
    If you still have the original try using Foobar 2000 to split it into separate files.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply!

In the meantime I tried unflac and I think this might work and also does automatic tagging!

Not clear. If CUE file is "strange" LMS may not be able to separate the tracks in the big FLAC which may also then prevent the single Flac file from playing.

There are some non standard variations on CUE files which LMS does not support.

If problem continues - post a copy of the CUE file.
    Last edited by bpa; 2021-07-11 at 13:28.

The problem described in my post was related to the small FLACs that resulted from splitting a large FLAC.

The small ones did not have any CUE files any more (which was my goal).

However, as I described, I solved the issue by using a different splitting tool. Thanks!

I have to update this post again, because even UNFLAC does not split all FLACs without problems. In a collection of mine it does create FLACs, but they can not be opened by any player. But some of the created FLACs play well.

So far I tried

just shnsplit: `shnsplit -f 1.cue -t "%n %t" -o flac 1.flac'

unflac: `~/go/bin/unflac 1.cue'

cuebrakepoints with shnsplit: `cuebreakpoints 1.cue | shnsplit -o flac 1.flac`

Since I do this on linux I cannot use foobar 2000. Also, best would be a console command instead of a GUI. But I could try a GUI. OS is Lubuntu 16.
    Last edited by bvrulez; 2021-07-12 at 05:21.

I have to update this post again, because even UNFLAC does not split all FLACs without problems. In a collection of mine it does create FLACs, but they can not be opened by any player. But some of the created FLACs play well.
    Anything in the LMS log file ?
    What does LMS show as file details when you drill down on a track/file using LMS Music Folder ?

LMS has nothing to do with it as I realized. LMS shows empty folders because it does not recognise the FLAC as valid. It is a problem of correct splitting. LMS can play the original LARGE FLAC when I click on the according CUE sheet. I can also play this large FLAC in Audatious by clicking on the CUE in Linux. But when I try to split this large file the small files are not playable. However, some of them can be played, but just a few. I am currently trying to get it to work on an Ubuntu 20 with Flacon to make sure at least SOME program is able to split correctly.

LMS has nothing to do with it as I realized. LMS shows empty folders because it does not recognise the FLAC as valid. It is a problem of correct splitting. LMS can play the original LARGE FLAC when I click on the according CUE sheet. I can also play this large FLAC in Audatious by clicking on the CUE in Linux. But when I try to split this large file the small files are not playable. However, some of them can be played, but just a few. I am currently trying to get it to work on an Ubuntu 20 with Flacon to make sure at least SOME program is able to split correctly.
    Sorry I misunderstood when you said " they can not be opened by any player" I assumed it included LMS as a player.

FLAC audio is saved a a stream of bytes in a Frame, each frame has a Flac identifying header - so it takes a lot to make a file unplayable - split in the wrong place will only lose one frame.

Can you do a sanity check on the split.
    It the files are split correctly then total size of the small files will equal the size of the large one (assuming there is no metadata).

Thanks for your continuing interest and your remarks!

I was able to successfully split the large file on Ubuntu 20 with Flacon now.

I will further investigate the issue and come back here, especially since I would prefere a working solution for Lubuntu 16 on command line.
    Last edited by bvrulez; 2021-07-12 at 06:24.