Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 99 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Narcos View Post

3.Everytime I boot the Rpi (pcp+squeezelite+LMS) the Squeezelite never works on startup, I have to then manually start Squeezelite. is this how its meant to be?
    You are in good hands with Ronnie, but I'll contribute a bit. On the "tweaks" page of pcp, under "Audio Settings" if "yes" checked?
    Name:  squeezelite.png
Views: 177
Size:  10.1 KB

Note that I do not have it checked because mine is just a lms server.

Jim

Looks like I spoke too soon ��, having trouble mounting the HDD containing all my music. The problem I believe lays somewhere between saving “Set LMS data” and mounting the HDD. The HDD should show up in “save LMS Server cache & pref to mounted drive”. Also, if & when it shows up what should be the correct way to go about it.

I guess “PcP boot disk” is the SD card?

Please Have a look at the attached pics.Attachment 38539 Attachment 38540
    I also looked at this post. Yes, if you mount the drive properly (first pic - check the drive then click "set USB mount"), then it should show up as an option to move the LMS prefs and cache (data).

You could try unclick->set usb mount->click->setusb mount.

This setup should be a breeze, but when it isn't, it can be very frustrating (hang in there). When this happens I recommend getting a usb thumb drive, loading a few albums worth of music, and try mounting that (to isolate your drive is/isnt the problem).

A few times the problem has been with the drive itself. Is it self powered or do you expect the pi to power it. If it's the latter, you need to make sure the USB on the pi is capable of providing enough power.

Jim

PS - I case you aren't clear "set LMS data"/"move LMS data" is where the LMS's data storage is (your preferences, favorites, etc). I was initially confused with the step to move it. I thought it had to be done. It doesn't. I actually prefer it on the SD card. Note that (as Ronnie suggested earlier) if you leave your data on the SD, and do a full SD Card Backup, it will also back up your prefs, so your backup is essentially plug and play.

Thank you Ronnie & Redrum for the “hand holding”, so I changed to another 1TB usb HDD & it was recognised immediately (hope it stays that way. Now regarding “LMS server cache” which I believe is currently on the sd card, what option should I choose to “set LMS data” & “Move LMS data”. Do I select;

1. The radio button of “usb disk” or “pcp boot disk”?

Name:  9AA40B89-87B5-4632-8E10-3031B3FD8CF0.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  111.3 KBName:  954C3657-37EA-4FDB-AB7E-27038704FDEC.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  55.8 KB

Thank you Ronnie & Redrum for the “hand holding”, so I changed to another 1TB usb HDD & it was recognised immediately (hope it stays that way. Now regarding “LMS server cache” which I believe is currently on the sd card, what option should I choose to “set LMS data” & “Move LMS data”. Do I select;

Name:  9AA40B89-87B5-4632-8E10-3031B3FD8CF0.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  111.3 KBName:  954C3657-37EA-4FDB-AB7E-27038704FDEC.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  55.8 KB
    Leave it where it is on the SD card, no need to do anything.

On the "Main" page, make sure you resize the file system to at least 2GB.
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2022-08-07 at 05:34.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

I see that the new disk is a different format

Personally, like Jim, I would leave it as default; make a back up image and everything is tickety boo

If you experience any problems with the scanner, maybe expand the file system (as suggested earlier)

It is possible to attatch a usb stick and put the cache there.

I don't worry about it, as I don't use piCorePlayer. I use the Raspberry Desktop 64 bit PIOS, everything on the sd card and a backup.

Even a backup is not de rigueur, as it takes hardly any time to make a fresh install.

Just do what you are happy with

ronnie

Absolutely nothing wrong with ntfs formatted drives for piCorePlayer/LMS, all my drives are formatted thus.

Name:  Drives.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  72.7 KB
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    You are in good hands with Ronnie, but I'll contribute a bit. On the "tweaks" page of pcp, under "Audio Settings" if "yes" checked?
    Name:  squeezelite.png
Views: 177
Size:  10.1 KB

Note that I do not have it checked because mine is just a lms server.

Jim
    Hi Jim,

I had initially set out for this project to have two rpi's, one as a server the other as client. But now (for starters), I'll make do with building just 1 rpi as server+player hence I will enable it.

"On the "tweaks" page of pcp, under "Audio Settings" if "yes" checked?" EDIT: I have enabled it, hopefully Squeezelite should start at boot
    Last edited by Narcos; 2022-08-09 at 03:35.

Gents, As of now everything is working perfectly well. Please let me know if there are any worthwhile “Tweaks” to be done which can benefit the usability, sonics etc.

I’m still pondering upon how to mount the 4TB disk as it contains a treasure of native DSD Classical albums from labels like Harmonia Mundi, RCA, Decca, BIS etc… Any ideas?

Thank you everyone who helped me in setting this player up.

I’m still pondering upon how to mount the 4TB disk as it contains a treasure of native DSD Classical albums from labels like Harmonia Mundi, RCA, Decca, BIS etc… Any ideas?
    I assume that exFat was choosen to allow use on both Windows and MacOS ?

When you formatted the disk, did you do it on the Mac and did you set it as MBR ?

If you have a spare card, use the image I provided and see if it mounts?

Report any errors

Otherwise, can you reformat the disk to either ex4 or NTFS ?

It would, of course, mean moving a lot of files around and having the facility to store them elsewhere . That's a lot of time.

Test first with a usb stick and some of your dsd files; and if you can mount the large disk, let the scan complete before using the pi for playback

When it mounts you should see a message like this

Name:  Sunday2.png
Views: 88
Size:  69.0 KB

What size sd card are you using?

ronnie

So, in summary, pcp did not recognize the presence of this 4TB drive, but it did another drive, and as @ktp noted, the ntfs format should be fine.

Can I assume the 4TB drive works when connected to a pc/mac/nas?

Is the 4TB externally powered (e.g. you have a power adaptor in addition to the USB)? Can you post the drive manufacturer and model number? Can you remind me which pi this is?

If it (the drive) is not externally powered (it's only powered by USB of pi) then I would would suspect a power issue. The drive wants more than the pi's USB can provide. Note that the power to the USB originally comes from the pi's own power supply, so if it's not big enough, off brand, etc it might be the cause of the issue.

Jim

PS - the other option is to transfer your 4TB contents to another drive(s). Or, have the 4TB on your network and attach a network drive to pcp (similar to how you attached your HDD)