Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PiCorePlayer: Sound of Silence

Hello,

Please can someone help clear up a small but very irritating audio glitch?

I have two PiCorePlayers on RPi3s. The first sits in my office and runs LMS + Squeezelite, the second in my bedroom with just Squeezelite. The office PCP is wired, the bedroom PCP is connected via Wi-Fi. Both Pi are connected to exactly the same models of amps and speakers.

I mostly listen to radio, podcasts and audiobooks. Everything is pretty dandy when listening in my office. However, when listening to the bedroom PCP there is a noticeable and really quite irksome playback quirk.

This quirk is especially noticeable when playing audiobooks. While the narrator is speaking there is a very faint, almost imperceptible background signal noise. A sort of background warmth. Yet the moment they stop speaking, even for the shortest pause, the background signal vanishes and is replaced with utter silence. As soon as the narrator begins again the background returns. It's like the stream is being constantly disconnected and reconnected. It's such a weird and off-putting glitch that once heard it becomes like an aural toothache and it's almost impossible to lose yourself in the narration.

This on/off switch is not present with playback on the office Pi. Where the Pi is connected to exactly the same type and model of amp and speakers as the Pi in the bedroom.

The only time I can recall something vaguely similar was with a smartphone circa 2010 and bluetooth audio. With the same on/off signal.

Is there some PCP setting that I can tweak to make this a little more liveable?

Thanks for your help

PiCorePlayer: Sound of Silence

Are you sure the silence is not part of the recording/mix? And you only
    hear it on one system because of the different speakers there?

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Are you sure the silence is not part of the recording/mix? And you only
    hear it on one system because of the different speakers there?
    The systems use exactly the same type and model of amp and speakers. Everything including the RPi is the same. The only difference is one is wired and the other is wi-fi.

Sounds like one is getting noise from somewhere. Are they both using the exact same model of power supply/cables.

What wifi are you using? Internal or external? Can you swap the hardware?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Sounds like one is getting noise from somewhere. Are they both using the exact same model of power supply/cables.

What wifi are you using? Internal or external? Can you swap the hardware?
    Both are using exactly the same power & cables. The Bedroom Pi's wi-fi is external: ALFA Atheros AR9271

I'll try connecting the Bedroom Pi to a wired connection tomorrow. The arrangement of the rooms in my house means this won't be a long-term solution, but at least I can rule the connection issue in or out. Though there really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the connection: I don't have any dropouts and I can stream high-res FLAC files without issue.

Should also mention that I tried connecting headphones and PC speakers to the Bedroom Pi's 3.5mm audio jack and the glitch remained. However, playback is fine on my phone (& connected BT speaker) when streaming via the SB player / Squeeze Ctrl apps.

@Erm

Try booting the pi and then connecting the wireless adapter

https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

ronnie

Some WiFi sticks use a lot of power……more than the rpi can effectively deliver over the USB port. Let’s see how the wired test goes.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Some WiFi sticks use a lot of powerÂ…Â…more than the rpi can effectively deliver over the USB port. LetÂ’s see how the wired test goes.
    Just connected the bedroom Pi to a wired connection and the audiobook playback is perfect. Entirely without the weird silence glitch. It's exactly as it is with the office Pi.

Though I should re-emphasise that there really doesn't appear to be a connection issue with the usb Wi-Fi. The connection is something like 35dBm. It's rather that something strange is happening when the audio falls to 0db. That's when then signal is temporarily cut. As soon as the volume rises it's back again.

Adding a powered USB hub between the RPi and your adapter might solve the problem.

Electronic noise can do really weird things. The next test is to put a powered USB hub in the middle. Make sure to feed the hub from a separate power supply.

If you have a different wifi device, it might be worth a shot to try it.