Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Honiton, Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,969
    OK, have hit a problem.

    I created a simple custom convert file using Notepad just to test that it works, but got this error message when attempting to upload it:
    Code:
    [ERROR] Invalid file format, must be a text file"
    Thinking perhaps it might be due to Windows using CR/LF for newline, I removed the CR characters using a hex editor and tried again, but with the same result.

    Any ideas?

    Here is the full content of the file I was trying to upload:
    Code:
    flc flc * *
    	[sox] -q --multi-threaded --no-clobber -t flac $FILE$ -t flac - remix 1 0
    Are there any header lines I need to include? (The "invalid file format" messsage would seem to suggest it's nothing to do with the content, but a more fundamental issue).

    I'm using an old pCP (v4.1.0), if that's relevant. Was hoping not to have to upgrade, but will if it's required.
    Until recently: Transporter -> ATC SCM100A, now sold :-(
    House move forced change to: piCorePlayer(RPi2/HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro/HiFiBerry DSP) -> Meridian 218 -> Meridian M6

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    got this error message when attempting to upload it:
    Sorry I don't know why that would be - I've tested here (using Notepad) and I can upload a "something.txt" or "something.conf" file and it works fine, even with [CR][LF] line endings. I even tried a few odd tabs / whitespaces and it accepted it. I am on the latest pCP though. The file contents as you posted here are fine, there isn't anything that would need changing or adding.

    You could try directly uploading it, rather than updating pCP as a first course of action. Name the file "custom-convert.conf" and put it in "/usr/local/slimserver" (it doesn't need any special permissions). Then restart LMS and see.

    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Would it reduce any delay even further by not re-encoding to FLAC, and just stream the output as PCM?
    From what I understand, it has to output flac to match the rule (the second entry in the first line is the output format requested by the player). If your players are configured to request PCM then you can alter the SoX command to change it to output PCM, and also change the matching for the rule from "flac flac" to "flac pcm". I've not read the SoX documentation for PCM, a breif look shows a few more options than flac so you'd need to pick your way through that.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Honiton, Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,969
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxOfCables View Post
    You could try directly uploading it, rather than updating pCP as a first course of action. Name the file "custom-convert.conf" and put it in "/usr/local/slimserver" (it doesn't need any special permissions). Then restart LMS and see.
    OK, I gave that a go and it worked.
    So now I'll try applying the filters to see what happens, and if that works will experiment with not bothering to re-encode to FLAC and just stream PCM.

    Many thanks for your help.
    Until recently: Transporter -> ATC SCM100A, now sold :-(
    House move forced change to: piCorePlayer(RPi2/HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro/HiFiBerry DSP) -> Meridian 218 -> Meridian M6

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Honiton, Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,969
    OK, latest news on this.

    I set up the appropriate equalizer settings in custom-convert.conf and am happy to report that:

    1. They work - the bass response is smoothed out as required. Not quite perfect yet, but I can try a bit of fine tuning.

    2. Re-encoding to FLAC works just fine. The peak CPU usage on the RPi3 I've seen is about 25%, and that is only during the initial phase when playback is starting up. Once it's going, CPU usage typically sits around the 3% - 5% mark. With re-encode compression level set to 0, there is no significant latency. So I probably won't bother messing about trying to stream PCM.

    3. Most importantly of all: there are no audible bass artefacts. Hooray!
    It would seem that the filtering code used by the HiFiBerry DSP card must have some kind of flaw which is responsible.
    I did wonder if perhaps the card itself had a hardware fault, but when the card is installed and all filters disabled, the bass artefacts disappear.
    So it has to be something to do with the filter processing.

    Anyway, all is now well without the DSP card installed and I'm a happy bunny.
    Until recently: Transporter -> ATC SCM100A, now sold :-(
    House move forced change to: piCorePlayer(RPi2/HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro/HiFiBerry DSP) -> Meridian 218 -> Meridian M6

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Anyway, all is now well without the DSP card installed and I'm a happy bunny.
    Awesome Glad it all worked for you. I wish I had known about SoX before I wasted ú70 and who knows how many hours on that HiFiBerry DSP! On the plus side though it did introduce me to REW which makes a nice improvement to the sound.

    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    The peak CPU usage on the RPi3 I've seen is about 25%
    Same as I've seen, that's actually 100% load on a single core. The multi-threading on SoX doesn't seem to work on the Pi, I had expected to see it jump to 50% use, using one core per audio channel. Still, it's not a noticeable delay with that lowest compression.

    Happy listening!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •