Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Servers not Pi-based

    My music server recently died and I'm in need of a replacement that MUST run LMS (of course). From my research so far, it seems like everything is going Pi-based. I have no ​experience with this platform and rather not get into any DIY stuff.

    Who is still making good servers for running LMS that are purpose built and run Windows/Linux/or a purpose built OS??


    My previous server was a VortexBox which is not really supported anymore.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    787
    Really, a pi as server with a decent 2 disc nas for storage is perfect!
    O lyrics thing you would miss is the ripping a disc feature of the vortexbox.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    229

    Servers not Pi-based

    Quoting edwin2006 (edwin2006.a3egao (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

    >
    > Really, a pi as server with a decent 2 disc nas for storage is perfect!
    > O lyrics thing you would miss is the ripping a disc feature of the
    > vortexbox.


    Something like Max2Play.com is super simple to implement on a PI.
    Write an SD card and turn it on, configure LMS with a browser. I use
    mine as a player, not as an LMS server, but it has that capability and I'm sure it would work well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,504
    I've setup several rPi LMS servers using piCorePlayer. I used to use Vortexboxes for LMS servers. Frankly, I find the rPi w/PiCorePlayer less DIY than the vortexboxes. With no linux knowledge, no computer building knowledge, and simply following instructions, I found the rPi setup as LMS server to be super easy. Write piCorePlayer to an SD card, boot up the rPi, make a few settings, and you'll be running LMS in half an hour.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I've setup several rPi LMS servers using piCorePlayer. I used to use Vortexboxes for LMS servers. Frankly, I find the rPi w/PiCorePlayer less DIY than the vortexboxes. With no linux knowledge, no computer building knowledge, and simply following instructions, I found the rPi setup as LMS server to be super easy. Write piCorePlayer to an SD card, boot up the rPi, make a few settings, and you'll be running LMS in half an hour.
    Yeah, the Linux stuff used to kill me, but Ron Olsen was always there to help. He's not on the forum anymore.

    Anyway, the VortexBox had an ethernet connection and I had ordered mine with an audio-quality SoTM USB Card. Is such possible with rPi?

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,504
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDC View Post
    Yeah, the Linux stuff used to kill me, but Ron Olsen was always there to help. He's not on the forum anymore.

    Anyway, the VortexBox had an ethernet connection and I had ordered mine with an audio-quality SoTM USB Card. Is such possible with rPi?

    Thanks.
    Yes for ethernet. not SoTM, but equivalent (or better) cards are plug and play with an rPi. (or if you're feeding a USB DAC, just try initially with the USB out of the rPi4B. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.

    edit: Ron is missed. He almost single handedly made the vortexbox forum work.
    Last edited by garym; 2021-06-17 at 15:48.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  7. #7
    edit: Ron is missed. He almost single handedly made the vortexbox forum work.

    No kidding. What happened to him? Does anyone know?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Saint-SimÚon, France
    Posts
    85
    This may be the ideal 'almost' plug'n'play solution:

    https://polyvection.com/en/product/core32/

    Provide your own PS and USB music source (memory stick or HD/SSD)

    The manufacturers are active on this forum.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by ddewey View Post
    Quoting edwin2006 (edwin2006.a3egao (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

    >
    > Really, a pi as server with a decent 2 disc nas for storage is perfect!
    > O lyrics thing you would miss is the ripping a disc feature of the
    > vortexbox.


    Something like Max2Play.com is super simple to implement on a PI.
    Write an SD card and turn it on, configure LMS with a browser. I use
    mine as a player, not as an LMS server, but it has that capability and I'm sure it would work well.
    I've used Max2Play running both server and player in same Pi for years. From a Raspi 2B to the current Pi 4. Never had problems.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
    This may be the ideal 'almost' plug'n'play solution:

    https://polyvection.com/en/product/core32/

    Provide your own PS and USB music source (memory stick or HD/SSD)

    The manufacturers are active on this forum.
    Second that. If I didn't have Pi around and wanted to make initial setup as easy as possible that would be my choice. It's a new product but as said, manufacturers are around here and responsive plus the player product is already in the street with positive feedback.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •