Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    Tom,

If your daughter sometimes connects her App to your other players then this is exactly the scenario I can envisage with the "connect open to player but not playing" scenario in my previous post...

She connects to say the kitchen player for a while, she finishes and pauses play/closes App and heads out. You come along and select something else to play on the kitchen player, so now you're listening to a radio station on the kitchen player, but her Spotify account/App has an open connect to that player.

She comes home heads to her bedroom and opens the app and causes a volume change on the connected kitchen player before switching her App "connect" to her bedroom player.

Any chance this could be happening?

Kev
    Hmm, possible - I haven't really explored all the possibilities/interactions/order of operations of what's going on. Would've been a good test during school vacation 2 weeks ago - will try to find some time to explore/test.

Tom
    SB3(1), Boom(2), Radio(3), piCorePlayer (1)

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    Wow, I've battered my setup with testing for over 10 hours now, trying to reproduce the issue and I think I've made some sort of progress, I've gone from rough memory, trying to replicate what I'd done when the volume dropped to 49% to actively abusing the setup trying to break it. (I used to be a software tester... ah!! those good old days!!)

I've managed to get the volume to change seemingly on it's "own", as Michael thought, initiating a connect and play from the Spotify App which previously had a different volume level set and the volume change was immediate on playing...

1. So Touch volume = 85
    2. Open Spotify App (on MacOS) and connect to Touch - Spotify App volume slider moves up to a higher level, Touch volume remains at 85%
    3. Reduce volume using slider in Spotify App, there's no % indication in the App but Touch volume level follows and drops to a lower level, in this test 44%
    4. In LMS Web UI switch to playing a local file - Touch volume remains at 44% local file plays, Spotify App playing is paused but connect remains "listening" to Touch player
    5. Increase Touch volume back to 85% in LMS Web UI
    6. Go back to Spotify App and click on play for the paused track - Play on Touch swaps from local file to Spotify track and volume on Touch drops back to 44%

This, from Michael's comments is probably expected behaviour, although re-synching of volume does seem inconsistent depending how you initiate the connection, sometimes Spotify App will change to LMS/player volume setting, sometimes LMS/player volume will change to Spotify App volume.

However, I've also managed to get volume changes whilst playing outside of Spotify Connect and that's from further testing around this concept of getting Spotify App and LMS/Spotty out of sync, especially by direct selecting a non-Spotify track or stream in LMS Web UI whilst a Spotify Connect is still in progress (Step 4 above), in this state, play from the Spotify App via connect is paused but the connect remains in place and the volume of the player can still be changed from the App even though it's not actually playing through the App... Obviously this may not be everyone's issue - but I'm fairly sure I've managed to replicate my volume change issue...

Being new to this Spotify thing and not being overly familiar with the App or connect, but wanting to explore the integration with LMS, I first tried to find Plant & Krauss Raise the Roof using search in LMS Web UI, that didn't find anything, so I used the Spotify App on my Mac and selected my SB Touch through the devices menu. After listening to that album Spotify continued to queue up more tracks, I then tried the search artist option in LMS Web UI managing to find another artist and browsed for albums on Spotify, found the album I was after and played it.
    This, as I've subsequently found out, pauses the play on the Spotify App but leaves the player connected to the App. At some time whilst listening to this second album I must have gone back to the Spotify App (I may even have exited the App and then re-opened it later, the connect but not playing state remains), and whilst in the App must have adjusted the volume - which reduced the volume on the Touch, (mute in the App doesn't mute the player but then un-mute will then change the volume of the player to match the App volume). Bear in mind I was new to, and playing around in, the App and probably wasn't aware of the significance of the connected status.

Along similar lines, I tested whether this behaviour occurs with the IOS App - having put the setup back into the connected but not playing state on the MacOS App I then closed that App and opened the Spotify IOS App on my iPhone - that also picked up the connected but not playing state (Spotify user cached state), in this case though one "innocuous" click on the volume down button on the side of the phone saw the volume on the player drop to 23%.

I have log files for these incidents, but would probably need to notate to indicate what I did where in the log file, but I think it's easily reproduced following the steps above and having a little play around.

Thoughts??

Kev
    In my case the volume always jumps to 49 or 50% though. It never jumps to any other value.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    In my case the volume always jumps to 49 or 50% though. It never jumps to any other value.

I have wondered if that happens because something prevents LMS from recognizing an existing player, so it thinks a new player has been added. Isn't 50% the default setting for a new player?
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Volume increasing to 50% randomly

Thank you very much KeBul! There's a lot of good input in that posting.
    I have to find some time to review my code. Maybe I'm simply going to
    ignore volume settings of 49 :-D.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Yeah sure, was aware of that it was 49% for the first two I had before I tried to reproduce it, so far not been able to replicate un-asked for jumps specifically to 49% or 50%, so there must be another factor.

Fully accept and already stated that this may not be the issue seen by everyone, but thought it interesting enough to open discussion on it, Michael seems pretty sure that only "connect" adjusts the volume and this is certainly a method whereby connect is involved in changing volume on a player not playing music through connect.

Whilst we are on 49% or 50%, during testing I saw quite a few instances of a 1% change in volume, logs showed the final value what was requested/updated from spotify me cache, it happened enough for me to notice, but decided not to confuse things further.
    ***Edit*** this is easy to see on my setup, whilst connected to Spotify App, change LMS volume in the WebUI by clicking directly on the slider, so third segment from right hand side is 80%, click on that and it lights up, within five seconds the segment goes out and the volume has dropped to 79% however it's the second lower value that's sent back to the Spotify App - only happens with "Connect" so perhaps something Michael has done by design. Also happens when using Material Skin volume control and is easier to see.

I asked for "thoughts?" on my post because my initial thoughts were that the App to SB player "connect" should be cleared down if the SB player starts to play from another source...
    However, I've just tested against an Amazon Echo Dot, which behaves similarly, once connected to the Dot from the Spotify App, if I pause play on the Spotify App then the connect remains in place. If I then ask Alexa to play something from Amazon Music again the connect remains in place and changing the volume on the Spotify App changes the volume on the Dot... But the big difference is... if I then change the volume on the Dot itself then the volume on the Spotify App changes accordingly, so the volume on App and device remains in sync if they are "connected" even if I'm playing music on the Dot from another source. This doesn't happen with LMS, once it is in that "connected but not playing from Spotify" state LMS Web UI Player volume changes are not replicated in the Spotify App.

That to me looks like one issue with the plugin/LMS/connect implementation - allowing the volumes to change independently whilst a connect session is in progress.
    ***Edit*** I think the Spotty logs clearly show it doesn't think it's a connected player anymore, hence not sending change of volume from LMS/player to Spotify App, but the spotty helper is still accepting calls from Spotify App which seems to open the connection for volume changes from Spotify App to Player - I'd guess that's how Michael has designed it.

Also don't want to muddy the waters further but just seen a case where by Spotify App volume is set roughly half way along slider, Touch volume in LMS UI was set somewhere around 80, after connecting both sliders remained in the same place, music was playing (but not sure of the actual volume because my wife is watching the TV so has control of the Soundbar) I increased the App volume and saw the LMS volume slider jump back down to 62%, so it looks like the volumes didn't sync until I changed the App volume.
    Interestingly in the log files prior to change to 62% the current connect state shows a volume_percent of 49 and prior to that there's a
    Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_connectEvent (377) Ignoring initial volume reset right after daemon start

Gonna have a break from it now and wait to see what Michael thinks.

Kev

Ha, he came back whilst I was testing and typing... Happy to help Michael and more for you to consider above in this post.
    Regardless of this, your Spotify integration with LMS is superb, thanks for all the effort you've put in.
    Last edited by KeBul; 2022-01-07 at 16:39.

Volume increasing to 50% randomly

> Wow, I've battered my setup with testing for over 10 hours now, trying
    > to reproduce the issue and I think I've made some sort of progress, I've
    > gone from rough memory, trying to replicate what I'd done when the
    > volume dropped to 49% to actively abusing the setup trying to break it.

I've added a change to 4.7.2 to simply ignore 49% volume for the time
    being. Hopefully this will give us some slack until I've figured out
    what's really going on...

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Thanks, in place and running

This was produced by my usual method - playing through App and Connect, on SB Touch change to playing local file, go back to Spotify App (which is still connected to SB Touch) and click on mute, then click un-mute - at that stage it tries to set the SB Touch to match the App volume... which obviously in this case was 49 - no idea if that was a coincidence I certainly didn't previously try and set the App volume to 49.
    I'll continue to test around this scenario - got a few things I'd like to check out.

Note: Debug logging in Spotty Plugin not set until after I had started to play local music and my Spotify User has been ******* out and players Mac addresses changed.

Cheers

Kev

[22-01-10 16:38:42.1566] Plugins::Spotty::Connect:: DaemonManager::initHelpers (90) Checking Spotty Connect helper daemons...
    [22-01-10 16:38:42.1578] Plugins::Spotty::Connect:: DaemonManager::initHelpers (120) This is the sync group's master, or a standalone player with Spotify Connect enabled: 00:04:20:££:££:££
    [22-01-10 16:38:42.1589] Plugins::Spotty::Connect:: DaemonManager::initHelpers (120) This is the sync group's master, or a standalone player with Spotify Connect enabled: 00:04:20:@@:@@:@@
    [22-01-10 16:38:42.1599] Plugins::Spotty::Connect:: DaemonManager::initHelpers (120) This is the sync group's master, or a standalone player with Spotify Connect enabled: 00:04:20:$$:$$:$$
    [22-01-10 16:39:09.4612] Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_connectEvent (368) Got called from spotty helper for 00:04:20:££:££:££: volume
    [22-01-10 16:39:09.4653] Plugins::Spotty::API::Token::get (202) Found cached token: BQBzquPNZdNB00PrALXfwyAaw2zijGJ7l6mJ4SljxR0HTHcQCE G8oYThDi8Nv7VC7ri0836sHowG8KGN2sbefd2Z6yarSwrMhYzF qacPtO9K8p_s-fwQzbsUBEv465n_vvHsAnSktePTDECpj8zZ5hwxYKzHtdRnqYK z8I7XQnOxFWYiKyByKND65GBcsxcUcucJz36WgpN9xaARfZbJm g-VI51Jh1688QXfaZInFX9VxvzBC7ox51XmvX3s-3fNCxGpQPtnnw
    [22-01-10 16:39:09.4660] Plugins::Spotty::API::__ANON__ (1336) Trying to read from cache for me
    [22-01-10 16:39:09.4671] Plugins::Spotty::API::__ANON__ (1339) Returning cached data for me
    [22-01-10 16:39:09.4704] Plugins::Spotty::API::__ANON__ (1340) do {
    my $a = {
    country => "GB",
    display_name => "*******",
    explicit_content => {
    filter_enabled => bless(do{\(my $o = 0)}, "JSON::XS::Boolean"),
    filter_locked => 'fix',
    },
    external_urls => { spotify => "https://open.spotify.com/user/*******" },
    followers => { href => undef, total => 0 },
    href => "https://api.spotify.com/v1/users/*******",
    id => "*******",
    images => [],
    product => "premium",
    type => "user",
    uri => "spotify:user:*******",
    };
    $a->{explicit_content}{filter_locked} = \${$a->{explicit_content}{filter_enabled}};
    $a;
    }
    [22-01-10 16:39:10.7037] Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_connectEvent (368) Got called from spotty helper for 00:04:20:££:££:££: volume
    [22-01-10 16:39:10.7078] Plugins::Spotty::API::Token::get (202) Found cached token: BQBzquPNZdNB00PrALXfwyAaw2zijGJ7l6mJ4SljxR0HTHcQCE G8oYThDi8Nv7VC7ri0836sHowG8KGN2sbefd2Z6yarSwrMhYzF qacPtO9K8p_s-fwQzbsUBEv465n_vvHsAnSktePTDECpj8zZ5hwxYKzHtdRnqYK z8I7XQnOxFWYiKyByKND65GBcsxcUcucJz36WgpN9xaARfZbJm g-VI51Jh1688QXfaZInFX9VxvzBC7ox51XmvX3s-3fNCxGpQPtnnw
    [22-01-10 16:39:10.7088] Plugins::Spotty::API::__ANON__ (1336) Trying to read from cache for me
    [22-01-10 16:39:10.7104] Plugins::Spotty::API::__ANON__ (1339) Returning cached data for me
    [22-01-10 16:39:10.7143] Plugins::Spotty::API::__ANON__ (1340) do {
    my $a = {
    country => "GB",
    display_name => "*******",
    explicit_content => {
    filter_enabled => bless(do{\(my $o = 0)}, "JSON::XS::Boolean"),
    filter_locked => 'fix',
    },
    external_urls => { spotify => "https://open.spotify.com/user/*******" },
    followers => { href => undef, total => 0 },
    href => "https://api.spotify.com/v1/users/*******",
    id => "*******",
    images => [],
    product => "premium",
    type => "user",
    uri => "spotify:user:*******",
    };
    $a->{explicit_content}{filter_locked} = \${$a->{explicit_content}{filter_enabled}};
    $a;
    }
    [22-01-10 16:39:10.7161] Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_connectEvent (385) Ignoring volume reset to 49

If I play to a player using the Spotify app on my Android phone and set the volume to maximum the volume stays at maximum until I switch to LMS in a browser on the same phone. The volume then drifts down at a rate of 1% every few seconds until it reaches 86% where it stabilises. This doesn't happen if LMS is open on a different device.

It ain't stupid if it works
    Installed latest version as the volume jumped occurred this morning. Will report if it happens again.