Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PS I should add that my definition of compilation in this instance is a multi artist album e.g. Now 1 not for example Best of Cream which I’d put in Cream.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

The thing I like about actually using an ALBUMARTIST for compilations is that I can control where those albums end up when albums are sorted by artist/album or artist/year/album. Do this by using an ALBUMARTISTSORT tag. They'll still be recognized as compilations and appear under LMS' "Compilations", if you use that browsing mode. So I tag every compilation with:

ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
    ALBUMARTISTSORT=000
    COMPILATION=1

Make sure you exclude the COMPILATION tag for non-compilation albums. Don't add COMPILATION=0 (although I don't recall offhand what issues it causes.)

Multi-disc compilations have often caused added headaches if you place individual discs in subfolders, so be sure to test how LMS handles them. For example, if you use a directory structure like:

/compilations
    /.. /Some Album
    /../../Disc 1
    /../../Disc 2

IIRC, the key is to always include DISCNUMBER and TOTALDISCS tags in these files.

Or, you can just avoid the issue by placing all tracks from the album in one folder. If you do that, it's advisable to prepend the disc number to the filename to keep them in the correct order in a directory listing.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    That’s one approach but not what I’d recommend. I know BJW will disagree vehemently.
    hey, i'm for whatever works for someone... i just have my opinion as to what is best for most people in most situations.

My approach is
    1. Group all tracks in one folder per CD set but ensure discnumber values are set.
    2. For compilations leave AA blank in all cases.
    3. Remove all compilation tags completely.
    4. Leave LMS settings as “Various Artists” or set it to whatever you want to group compilations by.
    it should be made clear that the approach above is really only suited to LMS... and it trusts LMS to do things, rather than forcing it via explicit tags. again, its great if that works for you, and if you don't ever want to use anything EXCEPT LMS, but i prefer a universal approach where i force behavior via explicit tags, esp if it works in all software out there.

NB.
    1. My approach may not work for all software but it does work for LMS.
    2. LMS compare the value of AA with A. If A differs across the album but AA is blank it’s a compilation. You can force the issue with compilation tag=1 but it shouldn’t be necessary.

So either way will work but choose which and stick to the schema
    there's other things i could point out, like the string conflict bug, but again, i am not saying your way if it works for you is wrong, i am simply saying my way is guaranteed to work in LMS and pretty much everything else.
    Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    hey, i'm for whatever works for someone... i just have my opinion as to what is best for most people in most situations.

it should be made clear that the approach above is really only suited to LMS... and it trusts LMS to do things, rather than forcing it via explicit tags. again, its great if that works for you, and if you don't ever want to use anything EXCEPT LMS, but i prefer a universal approach where i force behavior via explicit tags, esp if it works in all software out there.

there's other things i could point out, like the string conflict bug, but again, i am not saying your way if it works for you is wrong, i am simply saying my way is guaranteed to work in LMS and pretty much everything else.
    I don’t have anything where AA is tagged as VA but I once did and I saw the bug.

It’s interesting that there are so many different ways to skin the same cat!
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    The thing I like about actually using an ALBUMARTIST for compilations is that I can control where those albums end up when albums are sorted by artist/album or artist/year/album. Do this by using an ALBUMARTISTSORT tag. They'll still be recognized as compilations and appear under LMS' "Compilations", if you use that browsing mode. So I tag every compilation with:

ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists
    ALBUMARTISTSORT=000
    COMPILATION=1
    for me, i don't need sort tags at all... i simply use the AA tag for that. in most cases, the AA = the A tag, but for comps or whatever i can use categories like you would find in a record store. iows, the AA tag is for me where i want to find the CD in a AA list.

Make sure you exclude the COMPILATION tag for non-compilation albums. Don't add COMPILATION=0 (although I don't recall offhand what issues it causes.)
    agreed. the simple and effective approach is to only use a comp tag=1 for things you want identified as a comp. comp=0 can cause weird issues and if you group all tracks from one CD in one folder (with no other audio files present) u shouldn't need comp=0 tags.

Multi-disc compilations have often caused added headaches if you place individual discs in subfolders, so be sure to test how LMS handles them. For example, if you use a directory structure like:

/compilations
    /.. /Some Album
    /../../Disc 1
    /../../Disc 2

IIRC, the key is to always include DISCNUMBER and TOTALDISCS tags in these files.

Or, you can just avoid the issue by placing all tracks from the album in one folder. If you do that, it's advisable to prepend the disc number to the filename to keep them in the correct order in a directory listing.
    in my usage, i don't use disc tags at all. My own personal preference is to put the disc number explicitly in the album title bc I like to see one artwork per cd. If it's a two cd set I do it like this:

The Wall (CD1)
    The Wall (CD2)

If it's 3 or more I do it like this:

Crossroads (Disc 1)
    Crossroads (Disc 4)

This is of course an anathema to some, but I love it, and it gives the same exp in all apps. Also allows me to strip all the various disc frames/fields from the tags.

to be clear, i see nothing wrong with using disc tags, but again i like a universal approach and don't like the idea of putting more than one CDs files in one folder.
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

….it's advisable to prepend the disc number to the filename to keep them in the correct order in a directory listing.
    That’s also what I do by having dbPoweramp configured to do so at rip time. I don’t use totaldiscs though and haven’t found a problem.
    I have LMS set to “treat multi discs as single album” so when I select The Wall I get all tracks but I do see CD1 or CD2 as a separator in the playlist.
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

I don’t have anything where AA is tagged as VA but I once did and I saw the bug.
    to clarify, it's a string conflict bug. The LMS user can specify what the string used is defined as, but the default out of the box value LMS uses is:

Various Artists

...so if any of ur AA or A tags (and possibly other fields as well) shares the defined string, be it the default value or a user specified one, LMS HIDES the entry from the user! This is a particularly insidious bug bc it is not obvious it's happening, bc people don't have perfect recall of their entire collections, yet out of the box LMS will hide entries that have that extremely common string for comps, and i think I recall LMS only hides the entries in some areas of LMS, not all of them, so u have to be very observant to even spot / know it's happening. (I'm the one who found the bug btw ;)

I would love to see a fork of LMS that completely reworked the scanner (phase 1) and the views / navigation (phase 2) of ones collection that didn't have all the weird kludges the current version has, bc of the way it evolved with iTunes, tagging, etc. maybe one day I'll hire a dev to do it the way I see as sensible, and obviously I would share it with the community, hoping to make it part of the official ver once the kinks were worked out.
    Last edited by BJW; 2021-07-17 at 22:21.