Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hardware volume control

At the moment LMS is controlling the volume digitally. Is it possible to control the hardware volume instead? When I put 80% of volume I would like to control the ALSA volume (hardware volume of my dac) instead than the digital one. I cannot find the way to do it in pCP, but I think it should be possible as it is possible with other player.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frapicore View Post
    At the moment LMS is controlling the volume digitally. Is it possible to control the hardware volume instead? When I put 80% of volume I would like to control the ALSA volume (hardware volume of my dac) instead than the digital one. I cannot find the way to do it in pCP, but I think it should be possible as it is possible with other player.

Thanks!!
    What do you mean "controlling the volume digitally". LMS sends the volume level to the player and the player works out how to get the volume.

Looking at the squeezelite code - it seem volume control for squeezelite is via ALSA amixer (i.e volume control is done via ALSA not within LMS) .

Check using logging output set to DEBUG

I assume that he means for those cards that have volume control on the DAC chip. On the squeezelite page, put the name of the mixer control that you want to control in the "ALSA volume control" field.

Be aware that LMS will drive the volume to zero when pausing or the pressing the player power button in LMS. If you restart squeezelite when the volume is set to zero, the device may not bring the volume back to original level when you press play again. In which case you need to reset the volume in alsamixer.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Frapicore View Post

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    What do you mean "controlling the volume digitally". LMS sends the volume level to the player and the player works out how to get the volume.

Looking at the squeezelite code - it seem volume control for squeezelite is via ALSA amixer (i.e volume control is done via ALSA not within LMS) .

Check using logging output set to DEBUG
    Yes, when there is a volume mixer, squeezelite uses it, otherwise it applies soft gain
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I assume that he means for those cards that have volume control on the DAC chip. On the squeezelite page, put the name of the mixer control that you want to control in the "ALSA volume control" field.

Be aware that LMS will drive the volume to zero when pausing or the pressing the player power button in LMS. If you restart squeezelite when the volume is set to zero, the device may not bring the volume back to original level when you press play again. In which case you need to reset the volume in alsamixer.
    Thank you so much. As you said, I have to put the name of the control in "ALSA volume control". Now I can control the volume of my DAC chip.

I tried to stop/power off LMS and as you said the volume of ALSA is going to 0, but once set play again the volume comes back as it was before stopping/powering off. I tried to unplug the power supply after sopped, and the volume went to the right place once plugged again. So everything looks working fine so far.

Cheers!!!