Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

SB3-where can I get a replacement remote control

Hello-I was a member here long ago but couldn't log into my old account so started a new one. I use a SB3 regularly that I bought way back in Jan 2006. A few days ago the remote became flaky-it won't turn the SB3 on or off, but once it's on the remote works fine. Rebooted the SB3 by pulling power cord, replaced batteries with known good new ones, no help. Put the a remote app on an old android phone and use that to turn the SB on or off, then use remote but I would like to solve the problem or get a new remote.

If it is the remote, does anyone know where to buy one? My online search basically failed-I found this one which claims to work but it doesn't look anything like the SB remote-looks like a generic TV/multi device remote. EDIT I can't post link as this is my first thread, sorry.

I periodically check for something new to replace the SB-any suggestions that aren't kits (I'm inept electronically)? My music library is essentially lots of FLAC files. My wife uses the SB to access internet radio. My receiver is getting old in the tooth, a modern audio/video receiver that enabled me to play FLAC files would be great.

Thanks for any guidance,

You can get most of the players on eBay very cheaply. It'd also be a small surprise if someone here didn't have a remote they'd flog you.

I am very happy with my Dac32 from Polyvection. Absolute breeze to set up and does Bluetooth too. Downside for you is you'd need a phone to control it. Both the LMS Material skin and Orange Labs Orange Squeeze app are great controllers.

https://polyvection.com/en/product/dac32/
    Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
    Kitchen/outside: Chromecast, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
    Boys room: Chromecast, Acoustic Energy AEGO M 2.1 speakers
    Guestroom: Radio
    Office computer: Squeezelite-X, Edifier R1280DB speakers, Mordant Short Avant 309i Subwoofer
    Veranda: Dac32, Altec Lancing ACS295 2.1 speaker system
    Barn: Chromecast, Dayton Audio DTA-100a class D amplifier & home made speakers
    Workshop: SB Classic, Logitech Z-4 2.1 PC Speakers with Remote Control
    Everywhere else: Chromecast TVs and Google Nest stuff
    LMS: Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    Control: Material Skin on Android mobile phone and any device that happens to be nearby

Tom, I presume you are in Connecticut?

Can you (or someone) post a picture of the remote? I have an extra, but don't recall which one goes to the SB3 we have (sitting unused), and which one is the extra. The extra one was a beta remote, same as the one that shipped, but I believe the locations of a few buttons were moved.

If I can see an image of the original, I can share a photo of the spare I have, and I'd be happy to give it to you for the cost of the shipping.

A couple of recent developments-when I went to take a picture of the remote I gave the on/off button one more try and it is now working (consistently). Maybe the dozens of tries I've done in the last few days shook a piece of dust loose or something. Also I found a used one on ebay and I think I will buy that to have a backup. Thanks for the generous offer but I'm thinking there is such a limited community of active users that it may be best to keep as many in safe hands as possible.

Attached is a picture of my remote. My Squeezebox was purchased in Jan 2006 from Slim Devices (before Logitech acquisition).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

a couple other thoughts -

Alot of times with those silicone button remotes, especially when old, you can get pretty in there or even oxidation of the copper. Maybe it got spilled on, etc. They are basically a conductive material on the back of the silicone button (usually carbon?) that creates a closed circuit of copper traces on the remotes PCB when the button is pressed. If you take them apart, remove and gently wash and dry the silicone pad. Then use a pencil eraser on the copper "pads" under the buttons to clean any oxidation off.

You will be surprised how much crap is in the remote. You can also take the time to clean up the shell once the buttons are out of the way.

Don't worry about being electronically inept this is more of a mechanical thing. You would have to try real hard to mess it up.

The second thought, buy a super cheap universal remote and program it to the SB codes (they are in the forum somewhere). A step up from cheap, I use a Harmony 650 (now discontinued, but still on ebay ) to control my systems including SB touch, amp, tv, etc. I don't ever use the SB provided remotes anymore.

Then there are the phone/pad apps...

Jim

Thanks for the additional info.

Some updated info-I apparently have a SB2, not SB3 as I originally guessed. Logitech Media Server under the player tab shows it as Squeezebox Classic model, type is squeezebox2.

I have an new in box old unused universal remote but have been unable to get the right code to program it. Best info I could turn up for the codes was here ( https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...e+control+code )-I tried the code suggested there (2096) and the half dozen listed for JVC DVD IR codes in that remote's instructions. Any idea where to find the remote codes here-forum search turned up a daunting list of threads.

We were always very careful with this remote, I doubt it ever got spilled on but the surface does feel sticky. When I get the nerve up I will try to pop open the case and clean it as suggested above.