Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Looking for advice on Rasperry Pi piCore Player set up

I just received shipment of my Raspberry Pi 4.0 GB Model B, which I plan on using with piCore Player to replace my SB Duet. Can you recommend any instructions, Youtube videos etc that I can review so I do this right? I want to know how to use my laptop to set up the Raspberry Pi, download the piCore Player and transfer it to a memory card and plug that into the Raspberry pi, and then configure the Raspberry Pi to use LMS.

All I play is streamed content, I understand LMS and mysb and have been a user for 10 years or so. I don't have a hard drive with digitized music. I just want to play radio and Pandora, etc.

I don't know what size micro SD I need. I don't know how to use my laptop to set up the Raspberry PI (instead of buying a Raspberry Pi keyboard and monitor). Once I get everything set up, I don't understand what I would use as a controller: an old cell phone that I have in the closet or my Duet Controller.

I have searched up and down on Google and YouTube and the sites of the two manufacturers (RP and piC) and and seem to only come up with content that explains Raspberry Pi for hobbiests or for audio users that have hard drives full of digitized music. I can't find a "set this up for Dummies."

Any advice?

We have a little "official" documentation here:

https://www.picoreplayer.org/

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/

I am not sure if its exactly what you want, but its a start.

Quote Originally Posted by anglecard48 View Post
    I just received shipment of my Raspberry Pi 4.0 GB Model B, which I plan on using with piCore Player to replace my SB Duet. Can you recommend any instructions, Youtube videos etc that I can review so I do this right? I want to know how to use my laptop to set up the Raspberry Pi, download the piCore Player and transfer it to a memory card and plug that into the Raspberry pi, and then configure the Raspberry Pi to use LMS.

All I play is streamed content, I understand LMS and mysb and have been a user for 10 years or so. I don't have a hard drive with digitized music. I just want to play radio and Pandora, etc.

I don't know what size micro SD I need. I don't know how to use my laptop to set up the Raspberry PI (instead of buying a Raspberry Pi keyboard and monitor). Once I get everything set up, I don't understand what I would use as a controller: an old cell phone that I have in the closet or my Duet Controller.

I have searched up and down on Google and YouTube and the sites of the two manufacturers (RP and piC) and and seem to only come up with content that explains Raspberry Pi for hobbiests or for audio users that have hard drives full of digitized music. I can't find a "set this up for Dummies."

Any advice?
    Download the latest piCorePlayer from here - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/downloads/

Burn it to a 8GB or 16GB micro SD card - https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

Insert card in Pi, attach network cable.

Power up Pi.

Find IP address of Pi and enter it into a web browser address bar on your laptop and press enter.

"Main page", scroll down to bottom of page and click the "Beta tab", dismiss warning.

"Main page", Click "Resize FS", select 2000MB (minimum if installing LMS) from dropdown box.

Click "Resize", (takes a couple of minutes).

"LMS" page, under "Install and enable additional file systems", click "Install".

"LMS" page, click "Install LMS". Once installed click "Start LMS", if started you should see a green tick and LMS is running. (At the time of writing this installs LMS v8.1.1).

"LMS" page, click "Configure LMS", this may or may not open at a "Wizard", mine didn't, it opened at the "Basic settigs" tab.

You can skip adding the music and playlist folder paths.

Enter your mysqueezebox.com credentials (needed for Tidal).

That's about it!

It is so very simple.

Good luck.
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2021-07-03 at 00:28.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Extras . . .

You don't need to attach a keyboard or monitor to the pi, everything is done in a web browser from your laptop.

If you are using the Pi as a player (replacing the reciever part of your Duet), you can use the controller, just select piCorePlayer from the "Choose Player" menu. Or whatever other method you used to control the Reciever.

If you are using the Pi as a player only you don't need to install LMS on your Pi. Just look for piCorePlayer in the player dropdown list in LS web interface in your existing LMS.

Name:  choose.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  controller.jpeg
Views: 350
Size:  62.0 KB
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)

OK, in addition to Greg's links to the documentation and kidstypike's good simple run through...

First of all, relax and enjoy the learning experience, you say you want to get it right, but it's so quick and easy to start from scratch... getting anything wrong will just be a good lesson. It takes me less than an hour to complete my full setup from scratch (including full scan of local music library, installation of plugins on LMS and configuring all of my 7 Players).

I've seen some of your other threads and I'll start by trying to clarify a few things, piCorePlayer is a small distribution based on Tiny Core Linux, originally created as a Squeezelite Squeezebox player that boots into and runs from a virtual disk created in ram in the RPi, meaning the software image on the SD card is only used during boot to "create" your Squeezelite player. The pCP team have subsequently improved and expanded its capabilities way beyond just a Squeezelite player... LMS, Bluetooth, Shairtunes, Jivelite, Samba, USB storage support, comprehensive web based configuration and probably more, LMS particularly has altered the original philosophy in that it does write back to the the original SD card and unlike a pure Squeezelite setup it should not just be powered off (stop LMS before pCP shutdown, reboot or RPi power off).

Squeezelite - Player (A later project for you!)
    Jivelite - Controller (Not needed for you, but allows your RPi/pCP with a screen added to become a controller)
    LMS - Server

So onto your specific needs, from what I have gleaned from your other posts is all you need to start with is an LMS server... using the RPi and pCP as a player can be done later if required, if you are referencing the official documentation... it is biased towards pCP being a player, don't get lost in that, all you need is pCP imaged and running on your RPi on the same network as your laptop and you accessing pCP via a web browser to configure it for your needs for now, i.e. LMS

Ideally as an LMS server the RPi should be connected to your network by ethernet, i.e. cabled not wifi.

To specifically answer the questions you've asked in this post:

Micro SD Card size - anything from 8Gb upwards is plenty, but you'll probably struggle to get one that small these days!
    LMS Controller - once LMS is running you can control it and any players using your Duet Controller, smart phone, tablet, laptop web interface and more.
    Setting up using your laptop - all you need is a Micro SD card with a fresh image of pCP, PSU for RPi, network connection for RPi and a browser on your laptop

Kidstypike has given you a good outline, a couple of additions to his steps...

In pCP downloads:
    use PiCorePlayer 7.0.0 - Standard Version for older RPis or 4B with 2Gb memory
    use PiCorePlayer 7.0.0 - 64 bit Kernel if your RPi is a 4B with 4Gb of memory

After download of pCP image - unzip it... it is the .img file you need to burn to your micro SD card

Here's my edited checklist of tasks for an LMS only build, I've removed tasks irrelevant to you to keep it clearer and LMS Plugins you'll have to decide which ones you need:

PC work prior to RPi boot:
    • Initial image to card

From web browser after RPi boot:
    • Stop squeezelite (Main Page - Additional functions section - Stop (stop squeezelite) button)
    • Disable squeezelite autostart (Tweaks - Audio Tweaks section - Squeezelite= No)
    • Fixed IP Address (Main Page - Beta functions section - Static IP Button)
    • PcP updates: full, minor and patch (Main Page - pCP updates section)
    • Host Name (Tweaks - pCP System Tweaks Section - Hostname)
    • Timezone (Tweaks - pCP System Tweaks Section - Timezone)
    • Turn off wifi (Wifi Settings - Set wifi configuration - Wifi= Off) (Also both RPi Builtin Wifi and Bluetooth= Off)
    • Turn off hdmi (Tweaks - pCP System Tweaks Section - HDMI Power= off)
    • Add time update line to Cron (Tweaks - Schedule Cron Jobs Section - Custom Cron command= 0 0 * * * /usr/bin/getTime.sh
    • Resize file system (Main Page - Additional functions section - Resize FS button)
    • Install additional file systems (LMS - Install and Enable additional File Systems)
    • Change pCP password (Main Page - Beta functions section - Security button)

and onto LMS (still in pCP)
    • Install LMS (LMS - Install LMS)
    • Autostart LMS ((LMS - LMS Operations - Set Autostart= Yes)

Now setup LMS (pCP - LMS - LMS Operations - LMS Web Page button opens LMS setup wizard)
    • Login to mysqueezebox (one of the setup LMS wizard steps)
    • Configure each player settings (LMS Server Settings webpage, Player tab - select player and change settings as required)
    • add LMS plugins: (LMS Server Settings webpage, Plugins tab)

• Powersave
    • Material
    • Shairtunes
    • BBC Sounds
    • Play Windows Media
    • Group players
    • LastMix
    • Global Player
    • RadioNet

Obviously if you're stuck on any task, just come back here and ask for more details.

Hope this helps

Kev
    Last edited by KeBul; 2021-07-03 at 06:42. Reason: update info

I am so impressed with and thankful for you wonderful people on this forum. It's terrific. I'll ask a question about home brewing on a discussion forum on that topic and get responses like, "I never had that problem." But here the information is thorough and fast. I am eager to get to the Raspberry Pi set up. Thanks!

Other important things with pCP configuration...

You'll see in the web interface a lot of settings have a "Save" button either beneath the setting or at the bottom of a section of settings.

Remember I mentioned pCP is running in a virtual disk created during boot, changes to configuration are made in that virtual disk and need to be written back out to the boot image or they will be lost next time pCP is booted and the virtual disk is recreated...

So the mantra is... make a change - save, make a change save... (edit: although in pCP7 it seems most changes are autosaved - look for the green messages indicating so)

On the Main page there is also a "Backup" button, this will save all changes back to the boot image - so a "catch all" save for any changes made.

You'll also go through a few reboots to pick up some changes, pCP will prompt for those.

As kidstypike said, go into Beta mode (along the bottom of the main page) this will show you all available config options and will be required for things like setting static IP address.
    Then you'll be working along the menus below the "Squeeze Audio Device" banner on the Main page.
    (Main Page, Squeezelite Settings, Wifi settings, Tweaks and LMS)

Kev.

PS - Now I've got a bit more time, I'm just editing my post #5 above to indicate where the settings are for each of the tasks - Now done.
    PPS - Once LMS is installed and running don't forget to stop LMS before rebooting pCP (pCP tab LMS - LMS operations section has the LMS control buttons, Start, Stop, Reboot etc)
    PPPS - Re Static IP address, I have set up my own home network to have a smallish range of DHCP addresses (dynamically assigned), so I have plenty of scope for safely allocating a fixed IP address for any device I add to my network. If you're not familiar with this sort of thing then most modern routers allow you to bind or permanently reserve a dynamically assigned address to that device - so it is always given the same address by the router - in which case you will not need to set a static IP in pCP - if you need more help with this come back with specifics regarding your router model and someone will help you.
    Last edited by KeBul; 2021-07-03 at 07:03.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Extras . . .

You don't need to attach a keyboard or monitor to the pi, everything is done in a web browser from your laptop.

If you are using the Pi as a player (replacing the reciever part of your Duet), you can use the controller, just select piCorePlayer from the "Choose Player" menu. Or whatever other method you used to control the Reciever.

If you are using the Pi as a player only you don't need to install LMS on your Pi. Just look for piCorePlayer in the player dropdown list in LS web interface in your existing LMS.

Name:  choose.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  controller.jpeg
Views: 350
Size:  62.0 KB
    What kind of cable do you use to go from the Raspberry Pi to the Topping D30 DAC? I guess I was thinking I'd see a coax out or an optical output from the Raspberry Pi. I'm asn idiot for not looking into that previously.

What kind of cable do you use to go from the Raspberry Pi to the Topping D30 DAC? I guess I was thinking I'd see a coax out or an optical output from the Raspberry Pi. I'm asn idiot for not looking into that previously.
    USB cable. Comes with Topping DAC (I think, can't remember).

Yes it does -

Last edited by kidstypike; 2021-07-03 at 08:12.

How to -

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/projec...g-e30-usb-dac/