Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input question

Input question

Which is the most desirable method of input for the Squeezebox Touch from a Mac Mini?

Compared to a Mac Mini is there any other devise that provides a better source?

M

Would you please expand on your query

which Mac-mini

which Mac OS

Which LMS version

How do you prepose to connect the SBTouch, via network or a physical connection.

In short, what exactly do you want to do, and with what ?

It might help someone seeking to advise

ronnie

connect MacMini to ethernet. Connect Touch to either ethernet or WIFI (same network as MacMini). This is how the system is designed.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

^ Exactly. Run Logitech Media Server on Mac Mini:
    https://downloads.slimdevices.com/ni...ex.php?ver=8.2

If all is working properly, there is no "better" option necessary.

Currently an Xfinity xFi modem/router is connected by ethernet ->to a 2011 Mac Mini Os version 10.13.6, i5 core transmitting WiFi ->to the Channel Island Audio powered Logitech Squeezebox Touch 7.7. The Touch is connected with Straight Wire COAX/RCA -> to a Metrum Acoustics (Optical/Toslink and COAX/RCA only) NOS Mini DAC which is connected -> to a preamplifier with Cardas RCA interconnects.

I don't know what LMS is. I assume the ethernet port is an input and am unclear about the USB port?

Recently my Mac Mini is unable to support the new Pure Music 3 which has led me to consider an uncertain upgrade path. I'm told the Squeezebox may be limiting fidelity as well as using a WiFi input. At this point I find digital options exciting but extremely overwhelming. I assumed a contemporary asynchronous USB DAC and a hard wired connection to the Squeezebox Touch might be a place to begin?
    Last edited by M-dB; 2021-06-30 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by M-dB View Post
    Currently an Xfinity xFi modem/router is connected by ethernet ->to a 2011 Mac Mini Os version 10.13.6, i5 core transmitting WiFi ->to the Channel Island Audio powered Logitech Squeezebox Touch 7.7. The Touch is connected with Straight Wire COAX/RCA -> to a Metrum Acoustics (Optical/Toslink and COAX/RCA only) NOS Mini DAC which is connected -> to a preamplifier with Cardas RCA interconnects.

I don't know what LMS is. I assume the ethernet port is an input and am unclear about the USB port?

Recently my Mac Mini is unable to support the new Pure Music 3 which has led me to consider an uncertain upgrade path. I'm told the Squeezebox may be limiting fidelity as well as using a WiFi input. At this point I find digital options exciting but extremely overwhelming. I assumed a contemporary asynchronous USB DAC and a hard wired connection to the Squeezebox Touch might be a place to begin?
    Your Mac Mini should be running Logitech Media server (LMS) connected by ethernet cable to your router. http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=8.1

Your Squeezebox Touch (SBT) should be connected to your router, either with an ethernet cable or wirelessly, this makes no difference to the digital signal, the ones & zeros either get to their destination, or they don't).

Your SBT should be connected to your pre amplifier/amplifier/speakers using RCA/phono cable.

The Mac Mini running LMS sends a digital signal to your SBT, the SBT's internal DAC converts this signal to analogue.

Or, connect the SBT to an external DAC using SPDIF/COAX cable, this bypasses the SBT's internal DAC and sends a digital signal to the connected external DAC/amp/speakers.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

@M-dB

I will make the assumption (not a good thing to do) that you use iTunes for your music file playback and mysqueezebox.com for streaming from the internet ?

The Metrum dac

75Ω coaxial input is limited to a maximum data sample rate of 176.4kHz, the Toshiba optical link limits at 96kHz
    so there is not much benefit to be gained from installing the EDO applet on the SBTouch.

Likewise your Mac-mini is restricted to High Sierra, and frankly, installing LogitechMediaServer on the Mac-mini is too much of a hassle.

My suggestion is that you purchase a raspberry pi 3b+ or 4b (2g) with the official rpi foundation power supply and a good quality (see Sandisk) micro sd card.

If you buy new, then do so from a seller approved by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

There are daughter boards for the raspberrypi called HATS. Some of these have SPDIF (co-ax and Toslink) outputs.

Raspberry pi and HATS are sometimes available second-hand from furum members upgrading.

Install LMS on the raspberry pi using the piCorePlayer OS and also utilise the raspberry pi as the player (with attached HAT) and plug the preferred output into the Metrum dac.

Connect the rasperry pi to the network via Ethernet

Use the SBTouch to control the player output from the raspberry pi (with your Mac-mini running) you will be able to access the iTunes music files.

This will not provide any great change in sound quality but will enhance your user experience and prove a relatively low cost introduction to "digital options"

There is a learning curve , but plenty of support is availble from the members here

Please let us know your approximate location, there may be someone close who can offer a trial unit or invite you to a demo.

Don't rush; have a think about how you want to proceed and do some research .

atb

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    @M-dB

I will make the assumption (not a good thing to do) that you use iTunes for your music file playback and mysqueezebox.com for streaming from the internet ?

The Metrum dac

so there is not much benefit to be gained from installing the EDO applet on the SBTouch.

Likewise your Mac-mini is restricted to High Sierra, and frankly, installing LogitechMediaServer on the Mac-mini is too much of a hassle.

My suggestion is that you purchase a raspberry pi 3b+ or 4b (2g) with the official rpi foundation power supply and a good quality (see Sandisk) micro sd card.

If you buy new, then do so from a seller approved by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

There are daughter boards for the raspberrypi called HATS. Some of these have SPDIF (co-ax and Toslink) outputs.

Raspberry pi and HATS are sometimes available second-hand from furum members upgrading.

Install LMS on the raspberry pi using the piCorePlayer OS and also utilise the raspberry pi as the player (with attached HAT) and plug the preferred output into the Metrum dac.

Connect the rasperry pi to the network via Ethernet

Use the SBTouch to control the player output from the raspberry pi (with your Mac-mini running) you will be able to access the iTunes music files.

This will not provide any great change in sound quality but will enhance your user experience and prove a relatively low cost introduction to "digital options"

There is a learning curve , but plenty of support is availble from the members here

Please let us know your approximate location, there may be someone close who can offer a trial unit or invite you to a demo.

Don't rush; have a think about how you want to proceed and do some research .

atb

ronnie
    +1

@M-dB, what Ronnie is suggesting sounds daunting at first, but is quite easy and inexpensive. If you decide to go this route there are alot of "get started" threads which address "how to's" for the new to the game. Also, "official" picoreplayer instructions.

There are alot of benefits to what he is suggesting, ease, stability, 24/7 operation, low power consumption, and a very large user base/support. I ditched running LMS on a Windows machine years ago.

Ronnie, I am curious though, why would you not suggest just using the picore as a LMS server, and the touch as a player? Is there something I am missing (said the guy who uses a touch as a player)?

Also, I am wondering what the thought is for music library storage, a network location, or local drive?

@M-db, you say that you "don't know what LMS is..." It is a music "server" the source that provides (to a player) either your own music library (downloads, ripped albums/cd's), internet radio stations, and/or music services (spotify, tidal, etc). You interface/control your "player" (touch, or as Ronnie suggested a rpi with a hat) to access LMS, and stream the requested media (music, track info, etc).

Further, there are just "controllers" (phone/pad apps, URL's, etc) which are your user interface. One of many many nice things about squeezebox devices (like your touch) is they are both players and controllers, and, can control other players. That is what Ronnie was suggesting to control the pi with hat. The pi with hat on it's own does not have a user interface to act as a controller (but one could be added, or use a phone/pad/desktop)

Jim

Hey Jim

Ronnie, I am curious though, why would you not suggest just using the picore as a LMS server, and the touch as a player? Is there something I am missing (said the guy who uses a touch as a player)?
    Mostly because I was eating my porridge and don't know enough about the OP's user case.
    Also there are a lot of permutations that are too much for "a bear of little brain" and maybe I forgot to add the word 'controller' in there somewhere

Also, I am wondering what the thought is for music library storage, a network location, or local drive?
    Again, not enough info and I'm a bit immersed, each day, dans Le Grande Boucle

Keep safe

ronnnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I'm a bit immersed, each day, dans Le Grande Boucle
    Hi Ronnie, ah, yes, that time of year again! Enjoy all of the pedal rotations!

I have a friend who is an amateur cycle competitor, so he is glued to the tube, me, it's the NHL Hockey playoffs! But, I think the cyclists are crazier

Jim