Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Polycom Touch Devices

I see quite a bit of touchscreen Polycom video conferencing stuff on ebay, what do you think the odds are of doing anything with it? Maybe using just the panel and shoehorning a rpi or other sbc in the case to drive it? I like the form factors.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I had a quick look around via search engines and was surprised how little there is about these devices - except in their designed usage.

Seems that it runs Android and can take updates via USB.
    However, breaking out of their UI and getting some other access might well be tricky.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I had a quick look around via search engines and was surprised how little there is about these devices - except in their designed usage.

Seems that it runs Android and can take updates via USB.
    However, breaking out of their UI and getting some other access might well be tricky.
    I ordered one of each this morning, Around $80 total, the 12" was used at $25 and the smaller one was NIB at $50. Me thinks I may be overestimating my ability, but still will be fun to try.

Those three touch buttons at the bottom appear to be separate from the screen, they sort of translate pretty well to back, home, and playlist... I should know better than to post before I have it working.
    Last edited by sodface; 2021-06-30 at 09:36.

SD card inside ... I wonder if you could put your own in there with uboot
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Both sizes have POE too !

Would make great controllers running Material or Jivelite

There are few vids on Youtube, the 12" looks like a really nice piece of kit !

The GUI looks very Andriod as Paul says, I wonder if you can load Material Apk

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2021-06-30 at 11:00.

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    SD card inside ... I wonder if you could put your own in there with uboot
    I guess I'm going to find out! I gained some experience working on that Dell M300 with Ralphy a while back and most recently the Aopen chromebase devices, which I had to buy a chip reader and clip for so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971
    Both sizes have POE too !

Would make great controllers running Material or Jivelite

There are few vids on Youtube, the 12" looks like a really nice piece of kit !

The GUI looks very Andriod as Paul says, I wonder if you can load Material Apk

Jeff
    I have a PoE switch in the living room so I will be testing that out. I thought that was clever how they designed the stand on the 12" so it could be upright or more horizontal. I haven't looked on youtube yet, I'll check it out.

Both of these have arrived. The "smaller" one is much chunkier than I thought but very easy to disassemble. The larger screen one is really nice, slim, sturdy, and simple. Both check out via PoE. The larger one I was able to do a firmware update from the Polycom server but the smaller one started the download and then failed at some point in the process. I haven't attempted to disassemble the larger one yet. There are no screws visible.

I was going to let this thread die as I don't think I'll have much luck with these but I took the pics so I might as well post them. The smaller one arrived first so that's it pictured next to the Aopen Chromebase Mini for comparison. I don't have pics of the larger one yet.

Internals

I was going to let this thread die as I don't think I'll have much luck with these
    Awwww

Would have been nice

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Awwww

Would have been nice

Jeff
    I haven't completely given up but I'm probably out of my depth here. Here are a few pics of the internals of the bigger one, which I thought I was going to break getting apart. You have to remove the adhesive rubber strips on either end to expose some very small screws which need to be removed, then the screen/board assembly snaps into the stand. I made an image of the SD card on both of these and on the big one, I powered it back up without the SD card and it booted up the same way it did the first time so I'm guessing maybe the card is just a fall back or for resetting back to factory or something.

Network is 100Mbps on both.