Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by te36 View Post
    This looks like a possible life saver for my radios, thanks a lot for this.
    But i would like to better understand what is really going on:

- What is the root cause for the problem, e.g.: why do the radios loose wifi ? and not reconnect. I can not even force the radio to reconnect with the menu item of repair network. Just with reboot.
    Firstly I also add my thanks to PomDev2 for creating WLANpoke.

I have two Squeezebox Radios and for the last few weeks one of them has been exhibiting this problem. I had initially been suspecting a developing chip failure for the WiFi chip and had considered either switching to using Ethernet or buying another used system but the fact I discovered this thread and solution and it works suggests fortunately this is not the issue.

I am still myself puzzled by the cause. As mentioned I have two Squeezebox Radio systems in operation and the only one currently showing this problem is located within feet of an Apple AirPort Extreme. The unit not having a problem is located at the other end of the house as far as is possible to get from the Apple AirPort Extreme. It definitely therefore is not range or signal strength and as an old discontinued Apple WiFi device it has not received recent firmware updates that might have introduced a problem. It also is not a mesh device nor does it support WiFi6. So I am perplexed. It could be external interference e.g. a neighbours system affecting my signal but logically this would have most impact on the Squeezebox Radio furthest from my AirPort and not the one in the same room.

If this fix is as seems becoming so important to an increasing number of users it would be nice to see it built-in to a future community firmware update.

Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post
    Firstly I also add my thanks to PomDev2 for creating WLANpoke.
    +99

Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post
    If this fix is as seems becoming so important to an increasing number of users it would be nice to see it built-in to a future community firmware update.
    IMHO, it is not a fix, but a workaround. And it seems we may not fully understand the root causes, but there seems to be the suspicion that its related to wifi6 or other new wifi.

In one of my places, i actually have 5 radios and i had bought most of them even before logitech bought squeezebox (i think, have to go back and look). And i had over the years different degree of this wifi problem - must reboot to get wifi again. At some point in time, i felt that the problems where more pronounced in the last radio i had bought, so i thought it might be related to the HW version of the radio and differences in wifi chip used. Thats at least 5 years ago. And that was with shuffling radios around the house to compare.

In my place now, i have two radios, and they seem to be behaving quite the same, but on one end of the place, the problem occurs, in the other it doesn't. Now i need more time to analyze the logs of WlanPoke to maybe better figure out what might be happening.

But to really fix the issue in community firmware would require for all relevant parts of the wifi firmware to be open source and changeable. Not sure if that is the case. And of course it would first require to even know exactly what triggers the problem.

The problem, for me, is interference from a neighbors WiFi and the WiFi chip in the SB Radio. No issues with my SB Touch (different WiFi. chip), and no prob with the SB Radio at a different location (vac home). Chip can’t be changed, so the only “fix” is to use the Ethernet Port of the Radio, or a WiFi to Ethernet dongle (i.e. Vonets, which I use). WLANpoke looks like a very good solution to the problem.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

All the new zigbee / bluetooth / ????? 2.4ghz crap people have around their house probably also doesn't help.

Atleast this way we can reconnect _without_ a reboot. Which is good enough I guess

I have a few radios. One I carry outdoors (the others I use Vonets), so I finally got around to installing wlanpoke. Working well so far (thanks POMdev)
    I like logging, so I’m not disabling with -x.
    I see the log file in /etc/log on the Radio, but I’m confused with what’s described in the Manual:
    “ The software will try to send messages to a logging server, by default the computer running Logitech Media Server (LMS) on the default port (1121).”

Is there supposed to be a log file for wlanpoke on my raspberry pi running piCore? If so, I don’t see it.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I see the log file in /etc/log on the Radio, but I’m confused with what’s described in the Manual:
    “ The software will try to send messages to a logging server, by default the computer running Logitech Media Server (LMS) on the default port (1121).”

Is there supposed to be a log file for wlanpoke on my raspberry pi running piCore? If so, I don’t see it.
    You need to run a logging server that to listen for the data that the script sends. This does not happen by default on pCP.
    See the section in the readme about "logging server" - which currently shows:
    Logging Server

The software doesn't keep lengthy logs on the radio, which has very limited storage. Instead, it sends incident information to a reliably connected machine with sufficient storage. Regrettably, the radio 'nc' app cannot send reports to a syslog server.

For Windows, keep reading, then see below. The simplest solution is to run netcat (nc) from a linux shell, e.g.,

nc -l -k -p 1121 >> 1121.log &
    tail -f 1121.log &

'nc' will (-k) keep (-l) listening on (-p) port 1121 and (>>) append what it receives to "1121.log" and (&) run in the background.

'tail' will display the last 10 lines and (-f) subsequent lines as they are written from the "1121.log" file (&) in the background. Tail is better than 'tee' because you can kill the tail process without disrupting the log collection.

You can launch any number of servers, each with its own port, and configure each radio to report to a specific port. If you open your firewall, these radios can be anywhere... This way, you can be entertained or appalled by each radio's struggles.

Advanced: You could also pipe nc to another nc with the -u udp option to a proper syslog server. You might have to add additional fields to comply with the server.

Depending on who you are and your machine, you may not be able to use the default port. In that case, use another port available to you. BTW, our apologies to any service also wanting to use port 1121. Ports 1120 to 1166 should be available at the time of this writing. According to Wikipedia, 'The range of port numbers from 1024 to 49151 (2^10 to 2^14 + 2^15 - 1) are [sic] the "registered ports."'

Windows Logging Server

Windows has a nifty netcat app (download from nmap.org) called 'ncat'. In some ways it is better than 'nc'. It launches from a command prompt or you can also make a desktop shortcut. It opens a console or command prompt window to display incoming messages, and can also send messages back (but wlanpoke will not receive anything sent). To quit ncat, close the window. To launch, enter

start ncat -l -k -p 1121 -o 1121.log

Add absolute paths to the 'ncat.exe' and the log file as appropriate. 'tail' is not needed for real time console viewing.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Thanks. I'll just have the logs saved to a directory that survives a reboot (i.e. -d /etc/wlanpoke/log/)
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Unfortunately wlanpoke not working for me. Only 2 days of testing, but disconnects from WiFi nightly. I’ll try a few of the options to see if I can get a stable WiFi connection. Only one of my radios are used as a portable, the others are using Vonets. (I have many neighbors WiFi showing up, so multiple interference and that’s the problem)
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Unfortunately wlanpoke not working for me. Only 2 days of testing, but disconnects from WiFi nightly. I’ll try a few of the options to see if I can get a stable WiFi connection. Only one of my radios are used as a portable, the others are using Vonets. (I have many neighbors WiFi showing up, so multiple interference and that’s the problem)
    Wow, every night. Just at night? Can you upload your saved logs from \etc\log\ (or other persistent location) just after a reboot to your pc, and examine them? You can upload the logs without a reboot if you connect (and perhaps switch to) an Ethernet connection. You could zip the logs and upload to here so we could take a look. You might also examine the state of the system. Is wlanpoke still running, etc.?

The script is not supposed to "give up" although I did have a funny issue last year with occasional inadvertent mouse clicks on the Windows ncat console holding off incoming messages, stalling the all the radios' scripts. All my radios eventually disconnected, and I had to reboot them all! Disabling the Windows mouse click to console select option fixed this issue. Too bad this is not your issue.
    Last edited by POMdev; 2021-09-16 at 06:52.

Quote Originally Posted by POMdev View Post
    Wow, every night. Just at night? Can you upload your saved logs from \etc\log\ (or other persistent location) just after a reboot to your pc, and examine them? You can upload the logs without a reboot if you connect (and perhaps switch to) an Ethernet connection. You could zip the logs and upload to here so we could take a look. You might also examine the state of the system. Is wlanpoke still running, etc.?

The script is not supposed to "give up" although I did have a funny issue last year with occasional inadvertent mouse clicks on the Windows ncat console holding off incoming messages, stalling the all the radios' scripts. All my radios eventually disconnected, and I had to reboot them all! Disabling the Windows mouse click to console select option fixed this issue. Too bad this is not your issue.
    I'm saving the logs to etc/wlanpoke/log, so they survive a reboot, also just added -F 4 this morning (would that help?).
    (BTW, df shows only 7% of the SB Radio being used, and as you rotate the logs, not sure why you don't put the logs into a folder that survives a re-boot)

Attached are logs from past 2 days:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬