Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    not sure why you don't put the logs into a folder that survives a re-boot
    Wear on flash memory ? By default, there is considerable logging activity.

I'm saving the logs to etc/wlanpoke/log, so they survive a reboot, also just added -F 4 this morning (would that help?).
    (BTW, df shows only 7% of the SB Radio being used, and as you rotate the logs, not sure why you don't put the logs into a folder that survives a re-boot)
    -F 4 makes the full reset happen more quickly, which is generally an improvement if not using a quick reset method. It is 6 by default to give time for a quick reset to work, however, a really effective quick reset has not so far been discovered. (Look at the development branch software.) Others have shortened the time as well. -F 3 seems reasonable, depending on your network.

The log files went by default into the same folder as the Squeezeplay (jive) logs because very few look at the logs, we want to minimize adverse effects, and this location "must" have been designed to accommodate a moderate amount of log data, so it fit. Also one of the 'reboot' log files (fping.txt.log) is not rotated or pruned, so eventually will fill up the persistent storage after an undetermined number of ?years?.

Attached are logs from past 2 days:
    I forgot to ask, what is in your rcS.local file?

Looking at wlanerr.log:
    Congratulations on having such a strong (-41dbm) WiFi signal! ('Hopefully' not too strong.)

The first lines show the script starting from a reboot twice. The second time at 08:32:33, the script exited for an unknown reason (but typically a script error of some sort). I wonder if it has anything to do with your radio name "Squeezebox Radio 4" containing spaces, which has not been tested although another user has offered a mechanism to support names with spaces on the GitHub issues tab.

A reboot at 18:16 started the script again, this time it logged a few disruptions, then performed a full reset at 20:26, but then had an error and exited the last time at 20:26:52, so your radio was unprotected, eventually lost its connection, and required a reboot. This exiting after a reset sounds like a good clue. Perhaps the script was trying to send the error log to a misbehaving ncat on your piCorePlayerWP, although that would cause an nc error, not a script error.

The next day starts with a reboot entry, connection, then, 2 seconds later, an exit. Two subsequent log entries show reboot launches and wlan connection success messages, but then nothing else, which is suspicious. Perhaps you uploaded the logs just then.

Suggestions, in order, one at a time:
    1) Are you running ncat on your server? If not, use the "-x" option to disable logging transmission.
    2) Rename wlanpoke.sh and copy over a fresh copy. (One user somehow had a corrupted copy.)
    3) Rename your radio (e.g., "Squeezebox4") to remove the spaces.
    4) Try the "-W slow" web server option (This is used more than the "quick" method, and does not seem to affect the radio's operation).

Occasionally check the web page to see that the script is still running. The idea is to stop whatever is causing the script to exit.

Thank you for your report.

More

During development, there was an issue with exiting from to a bad number being used for math because of a script bug (perhaps something about using quotes with numbers). The TTL serial console displayed the following error message:
    sh: =11: bad number
    /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh: line 1: arithmetic syntax error
    wlanpoke exiting

The shell math functions $(()) cause a script to exit, but the '1' line number was unhelpful. I don't see that the underlying bug was fixed. The source of "=11" was never discovered. See 2021-04-01.03 Enh: Trap or handle any shell math errors, now cause script to exit. in history.txt.

If you are so motivated, attach a TTL serial connection to the console port. There might be a helpful message displayed prior to exiting. See this post plus others that use the battery connector.
    Last edited by POMdev; 2021-09-17 at 08:03.

New firmware for Radios received today. Does wlanpoke need to be reinstalled after new firmware applied? Thanks.

EDIT: I just SSH'd into the Radio and it appears to still be running wlanpoke.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2021-09-20 at 04:39.

Quote Originally Posted by POMdev View Post
    -F 4 makes the full reset happen more quickly, which is generally an improvement if not using a quick reset method. It is 6 by default to give time for a quick reset to work, however, a really effective quick reset has not so far been discovered. (Look at the development branch software.) Others have shortened the time as well. -F 3 seems reasonable, depending on your network.

The log files went by default into the same folder as the Squeezeplay (jive) logs because very few look at the logs, we want to minimize adverse effects, and this location "must" have been designed to accommodate a moderate amount of log data, so it fit. Also one of the 'reboot' log files (fping.txt.log) is not rotated or pruned, so eventually will fill up the persistent storage after an undetermined number of ?years?.

Looking at wlanerr.log:
    Congratulations on having such a strong (-41dbm) WiFi signal! ('Hopefully' not too strong.)

The first lines show the script starting from a reboot twice. The second time at 08:32:33, the script exited for an unknown reason (but typically a script error of some sort). I wonder if it has anything to do with your radio name "Squeezebox Radio 4" containing spaces, which has not been tested although another user has offered a mechanism to support names with spaces on the GitHub issues tab.

A reboot at 18:16 started the script again, this time it logged a few disruptions, then performed a full reset at 20:26, but then had an error and exited the last time at 20:26:52, so your radio was unprotected, eventually lost its connection, and required a reboot. This exiting after a reset sounds like a good clue. Perhaps the script was trying to send the error log to a misbehaving ncat on your piCorePlayerWP, although that would cause an nc error, not a script error.

The next day starts with a reboot entry, connection, then, 2 seconds later, an exit. Two subsequent log entries show reboot launches and wlan connection success messages, but then nothing else, which is suspicious. Perhaps you uploaded the logs just then.

Suggestions, in order, one at a time:
    1) Are you running ncat on your server? If not, use the "-x" option to disable logging transmission.
    2) Rename wlanpoke.sh and copy over a fresh copy. (One user somehow had a corrupted copy.)
    3) Rename your radio (e.g., "Squeezebox4") to remove the spaces.
    4) Try the "-W slow" web server option (This is used more than the "quick" method, and does not seem to affect the radio's operation).

Occasionally check the web page to see that the script is still running. The idea is to stop whatever is causing the script to exit.

Thank you for your report.

More

During development, there was an issue with exiting from to a bad number being used for math because of a script bug (perhaps something about using quotes with numbers). The TTL serial console displayed the following error message:
    sh: =11: bad number
    /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh: line 1: arithmetic syntax error
    wlanpoke exiting

The shell math functions $(()) cause a script to exit, but the '1' line number was unhelpful. I don't see that the underlying bug was fixed. The source of "=11" was never discovered. See 2021-04-01.03 Enh: Trap or handle any shell math errors, now cause script to exit. in history.txt.

If you are so motivated, attach a TTL serial connection to the console port. There might be a helpful message displayed prior to exiting. See this post plus others that use the battery connector.

Quote Originally Posted by POMdev View Post
    Here's my rcS.local file:
    The commented line is what I was using when it disconnected overnight.
    The uncommented line is what I just applied. I'll let you know how it goes over the next few days.
    (thanks for the detailed response)

/usr/bin/logger -s "starting wlanpoke.sh"
    # /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh -F 4 -W quick -d /etc/wlanpoke/log/ &
    /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh -x -W slow &
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Here's my rcS.local file:
    The commented line is what I was using when it disconnected overnight.
    The uncommented line is what I just applied. I'll let you know how it goes over the next few days.
    (thanks for the detailed response)

/usr/bin/logger -s "starting wlanpoke.sh"
    # /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh -F 4 -W quick -d /etc/wlanpoke/log/ &
    /etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh -x -W slow &
    You might also add the "-d /etc/log/" option as well to persist the logs. The script should create the folder if it does not exist. If there is a problem writing to the folder, the script will exit.

I forgot to mention that you don't need the serial connection to see the script's error message. Just launch it from the SSH command line:

/etc/wlanpoke/wlanpoke.sh -x -W slow -d /etc/log/ &

and observe the various messages. This is the recommended way to test an installation. I believe an instance launched from the terminal will stop when the parent terminal session is closed, so enter "reboot" instead of exiting the session when you are done.

After about 6 hrs, the web interface reports:
    Code:
    Ping: settings, events, and failed pings [0..n]; Step: full reset results, status; Gaps, Resets: # and recents

Ping 2s-1q6f Events, Fails[0..7] 21819s :    Qr:0 Fr:0   Wr:1 Wc:0  [ 7238 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ]
    Step 0:0, limit:results: [ 12: 18: 26: 37: 53: ]   Wlan: Rate=48 Quality:51/94 level:-44 retries:1
    Gaps:0 @1632359854 -Gap+OK secs: +21819,
    Resets:0 @1632359854 -Gap+OK secs: +21819,
    How do I interpret these results?
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

A few minutes after accessing the web report, the WiFi connection failed (coincidence most likely)
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

After about 6 hrs, the web interface reports:
    Code:
    Ping: settings, events, and failed pings [0..n]; Step: full reset results, status; Gaps, Resets: # and recents
    Ping 2s-1q6f Events, Fails[0..7] 21819s :    Qr:0 Fr:0   Wr:1 Wc:0  [ 7238 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ]
    Step 0:0, limit:results: [ 12: 18: 26: 37: 53: ]   Wlan: Rate=48 Quality:51/94 level:-44 retries:1
    Gaps:0 @1632359854 -Gap+OK secs: +21819,
    Resets:0 @1632359854 -Gap+OK secs: +21819,
    How do I interpret these results?
    The script did not exit. Your radio had no serious WiFi failures in 21819 seconds, or ~6.06 hours since launch, so the script didn't do anything except logging statistics. There were no Quick resets, nor Full resets. There were 7238 single ping failures, but no 2,3,4,... or more consecutive ping failures [ 0 0 ...], meaning any network disruption was short lived (so the radio would not "hiccup" because of sufficient buffering).
    At the time of the report, your bit rate was 48 (not the expected 54), and the signal level was -44dBm, which is excellent, and only 1 retry.
    There were no gaps or resets as of 01:17:34 GMT, so the history shows +21819 of uninterrupted operation.

For a more typical example, and a more thorough explanation, see the "Log File Analysis" section in manual.txt. Here is a recent one of mine: MTStats_1632406153.zip.

Your example is pretty atypical. Most others are suffering multiple disruptions every hour, some small gaps that are handled by the radio's buffering, and others that require some sort of WiFi system reset. Your connection seems "rock" solid, until it isn't. How can that be, unless the interfering sources are simply turned off during this time? Who does that? Someone using a portable WiFi-6 hot spot? Is there such a device?

A few minutes after accessing the web report, the WiFi connection failed (coincidence most likely)

Did the script restore the connection? Did the connection repeatedly fail after this point? Did your radio stay on? Could there have been a power glitch? (Some of my DC power supply connectors have become quite corroded, requiring scraping and cleaning.)

Thanks for the explanation.
    Up now for about 20 hrs.
    Looks like -x fixed the initial problem I was having (looks like yesterday’s disconnect was a glitch).

Here’s my latest:
    Code:

Ping 2s-1q6f Events, Fails[0..7] 68259s :    Qr:0 Fr:2   Wr:1 Wc:0  [ 22596 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 ]
    Step 0:0, limit:results: [ 12:0,0, 18: 26: 37: 53: ]   Wlan: Rate=48 Quality:56/94 level:-39 retries:0
    Gaps:5 @1632494181 -Gap+OK secs: +860,-39+11895,-4+7766,-39+23243,-3+467,-4+23939,
    Resets:2 @1632494181 -Gap+OK secs: +860,-39+19665,-39+47656,
    Last edited by Tony T; 2021-09-25 at 08:12.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

wlanpoke still not working for me.
    FWIW, attached are the logs
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬