Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

no sound when using battery

I recently purchased second hand unit of squeezbox.
    Its a UE version and running 7.7.3-r1667

when my squeezbox radio is connected directly with the power adapter then everything works fine. I get sound and music plays as normal.
    But the strange thing happens when I unplug the power adapter and start using it with battery power then there's no sound, I have checked all settings, and it's not muted, tried full volume. Even booted up with battery, wif connects and everything is normal beside there's no sound coming from the box when using the battery.

I have been running it on battery for hours and looks to be in good condition.

Has anyone faced the same issue or have a better solution to the problem?

I have never seen this, but I'll take a stab at it, a couple guesses, for what it's worth.

First, do you get sound out of the headphone jack while on battery?

Here's what I am wondering (again, a guess). Perhaps the battery is weak. The batteries might measure ok in open circuit, but when they are asked to supply current, they cannot, or, if your do, the voltage drops lower than fresh cells. Maybe it can power the processor, UI, etc (lower current draw) but it cannot supply the audio amplifier in addition (additional current draw) or the audio amp has a "turn on threshold" (voltage) of sorts that is not met because the supply droops.

My thought is Maybe the low level signal output of the headphone is prior in the signal path.

Again, I know nothing of the design of the radio, just thinking "what can happen".

If you have another battery, or are willing to get another one, it would be worth a try. Even if, say you got one from amazon, made no difference, and you returned it.

Another thought (again, no experience) is if you use an ethernet connection, does this use less power than wifi? Others might know.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I have never seen this, but I'll take a stab at it, a couple guesses, for what it's worth.

Here's what I am wondering (again, a guess). Perhaps the battery is weak. The batteries might measure ok in open circuit, but when they are asked to supply current, they cannot, or, if your do, the voltage drops lower than fresh cells. Maybe it can power the processor, UI, etc (lower current draw) but it cannot supply the audio amplifier in addition (additional current draw) or the audio amp has a "turn on threshold" (voltage) of sorts that is not met because the supply droops.

My thought is Maybe the low level signal output of the headphone is prior in the signal path.

Again, I know nothing of the design of the radio, just thinking "what can happen".

If you have another battery, or are willing to get another one, it would be worth a try. Even if, say you got one from amazon, made no difference, and you returned it.

Another thought (again, no experience) is if you use an ethernet connection, does this use less power than wifi? Others might know.

Jim
    If the battery voltage was low it would turn off and tell you to charge it. I've never seen this either.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    If the battery voltage was low it would turn off and tell you to charge it. I've never seen this either.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    it was a stab in the dark. I didn't say low, I said weak, as in the internal resistance of the cell or cells is high, causing a limit of the current, or a drop in voltage when current is demanded. My wild guess is if the audio amplifier was starved.

Of course I don't know of the power management hardware or firmware in the battery, does it detect "weak"?

I once bought radio used that (on adaptor) powered up, but when you went to play it died (rebooted). I replaced the power supply and it was fine. I surmised the power supply was capable of open circuit voltage, but when current was drawn it failed to deliver.

my comment on "does it play through headphones" was more a curiosity. If he said yes, I still wouldn't have any more to offer

Jim

You could try to reinstall firmware and then do a factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post

Jim
    hello Jim
    thanks for ur great evaluation. I guess u are right with ur points.
    I have checked to run it with battery and sound coming from the headphone jack. So there's nothing wrong with the out-put sound from there. I guess its related to old battery voltage. I'll grab a new battery pack and see if the speaker comes to live again.