Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reinstalling LMS: How to keep preferences?

Hello.

I am reinstalling LMS from scratch. I am installing all the plugins I use from scratch too. I am also rescanning my whole music library from scratch.

How to I keep my settings and preferences, for LMS, my players and my plugins?

I still have my old installation

This is 8.1.1 on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Thanks
    Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:28:51 CEST 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Thanks. That is for a Mac though. I have no idea if it'd be the same for Windows 10. And does the server.prefs file include the config info (and service logins) for the plugins too?

I used it for Linux, should be the same for Win 10. Pref file has config settings. not sure about logs. Make sure you edit server.prefs file though as directed by Michael

EDIT: the original thread started by me years ago was about Linux migration of Pref folder https://forums.slimdevices.com/archi...p/t-92701.html
    Note that Erland mentions copying his pref files also if you have Erland's plugins, although I don't think I have ever found that necessary
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2021-06-30 at 18:43.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:28:51 CEST 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

I think the UUID remark applies when you move the installation to a different machine as the client likely links this to a specific network location (IP/MAC) which would then be incorrect. i.e. no similar instruction exists for upgrading your version of LMS, which is effectively a re-install as well.

Note that the preferences folder might be (or rather: should be) in a different location than the application. Also a proper install/uninstall routine will not remove any files that were changed from original. I'm assuming this to be true for the Windows installer and so a re-install will come back with all your plugins still in place unless you manually clean those up. Assuming your current installation still functions you can find these locations in the `information` tab of `http://<server>:9000/settings`

@ModelCitize

On my Windows 10 Pro Desktop (64 bit) the files are stored here

Code:
    C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox
    You can make a copy of the folder

I'm pretty certain though, that if you just uninstall LMS this folder will remain (unless you use one of the uninstaller programs which "clean".

Even so, there should be the option to "keep" the folder

ronnie

I know that when I remove --purge LMS on my raspberrypi Desktop OS the equivilant folder is always left, and the option is offered to "keep" in piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    Hello.

I am reinstalling LMS from scratch. I am installing all the plugins I use from scratch too. I am also rescanning my whole music library from scratch.

How to I keep my settings and preferences, for LMS, my players and my plugins?

I still have my old installation

This is 8.1.1 on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Thanks
    Start using Docker containers. Drop Windows and move to a Linux machine (or an RP 4).
    With Docker you can install and re- install anything as many times as you wish, and you can keep a number of configurations to choose from.

Sent fra min SM-G996B via Tapatalk
    QNAP TS-453Be 4x3TB RAID5 QNAP TS-251 2x3TB RAID0 QNAP HS-251 2x2TB RAID0 QNAP TS-453Mini 2x1TB Raid 10
    LMS running in Docker Madsonic running in Docker Guacamole QPGK R&D and Test server
    Home Assistant running in Docker Node-Red running in Docker RainLoop QPKG
    Pi-Hole running in Docker Bastillion running in Docker DeConz running in Docker w/ConBee II
    Mosquitto MQTT running in Docker

I've had various attempts with Squeezeserver and linux over the last two decades, none of them successful and all of which took up shed loads of my time. So I'm not going there.
    Next step for me is likely to be with be Polyvector's DAC32 Gateway (and yes, I know it's Linux), when the price for 1tb SD cards comes down....

Anyway. I tried it by just copying over server.prefs and the castbridge and upnpbridge config files but it wasn't successful and led to a bit of a mess. Copying over the whole of C:\Program Data\Squeezebox was though and now I'm good to go.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ModelCitizen; 2021-07-01 at 07:48.

Reinstalling LMS: How to keep preferences?

I've had various attempts with Squeezeserver and linux over the last two decades, none of them successful and all of which took up shed loads of my time. So I'm not going there.
    Next step for me is likely to be with be Polyvector's DAC32 Gateway (and yes, I know it's Linux), when the price for 1tb SD cards comes down....

Anyway. I tried so it by just copying over server.prefs and the castbridge and upnpbridge config files but it wasn't successful and led to a bit of a mess. Copying over the whole of C:\Program Data\Squeezebox was though and now I'm good to go.

Thanks.
    What I always do is copying the prefs directory with a bit of tweaks on server.prefs
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Anyway. I tried it by just copying over server.prefs and the castbridge and upnpbridge config files but it wasn't successful and led to a bit of a mess. Copying over the whole of C:\Program Data\Squeezebox was though and now I'm good to go.

Thanks.
    PiCorePlayer is straightforward enough.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk