Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zoltan
    • Feb 2007

New SBT PSU

Can anyone recommend a source for a decent replacement PSU for a Touch that I can easily order from UK? By decent I don't mean one of these "audiophile" ones that cost hundreds, just something that is the correct type and good quality.

The reason I need one is that I have been experiencing a lack of responsiveness from my SBT whichever Squeeze device remote control I tried. I found a thread the other day (can't find it now) which started off with various people solving this by replacing the IR module but ended with quite a few people saying that a new PSU fixed it. I have confirmed this is the case for me by borrowing the PSU from my unused spare SBT but, rather than continue to use this, I'd prefer to buy a replacement for the failed one.
  • kidstypike
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zoltan
    Can anyone recommend a source for a decent replacement PSU for a Touch that I can easily order from UK? By decent I don't mean one of these "audiophile" ones that cost hundreds, just something that is the correct type and good quality.

The reason I need one is that I have been experiencing a lack of responsiveness from my SBT whichever Squeeze device remote control I tried. I found a thread the other day (can't find it now) which started off with various people solving this by replacing the IR module but ended with quite a few people saying that a new PSU fixed it. I have confirmed this is the case for me by borrowing the PSU from my unused spare SBT but, rather than continue to use this, I'd prefer to buy a replacement for the failed one.
    There's this one (maybe more) from Amazon.

Also this one I've purchased from Amazon, says for Squeezebox Classic, but the Touch & Classic PSUs are interchangeable, I do it all the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1572741
    Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
    Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
    Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
    Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• Paul Webster
      • Apr 2005

However, wiki says 5V 3A for Touch and this one is 5V 2A

So it might be underpowering it - stressing the power supply.
      Paul Webster
      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• kidstypike
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Paul Webster
        However, wiki says 5V 3A for Touch and this one is 5V 2A

So it might be underpowering it - stressing the power supply.
        Dunno, 7 years old, and still going strong, lasted longer than the supplied unit.

Plenty on Amazon or Ebay to choose from.

Comment

• Paul Webster
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kidstypike
          Dunno, 7 years old, and still going strong, lasted longer than the supplied unit.
          I guess it would use most power if screen on at full brightness, show dancing VU meters and loud output via analogue.

Edit: and WiFi
          Paul Webster
          Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
          and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• kidstypike
            • Feb 2007

I guess it would use most power if screen on at full brightness, show dancing VU meters and loud output via analogue.

Ha ha, I don't use any of those!

Comment

• Paul Webster
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kidstypike
              Ha ha, I don't use any of those!
              Good way to make a power supply last for many years
              Paul Webster

Comment

• bpa
                • Oct 2005

I think the a part of the high rating was required to support USB spec and devices (e.g. disks) that may draw power.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                  • Apr 2005

That makes sense.

I see that Logitech does seem to sell replacement power supplies but without the adapter plate.
                  Paul Webster

Comment

• Tuneman
                    • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Zoltan

Maybe more than you want to spend but many have success with this one.

Comment

Working...