Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Power cable issue and how to fix it?

I have 3 Booms and all seem to suffer from the same issue where it loses power and needs the cable to be wiggled or rotated in the socket before it returns. So I'm thinking this must be a common issue unless I've just been very unlucky. Connection doesn't seem that loose but is not exactly tight either. Can anyone run me through a possible fix?
    muso developer
    6 x SB3, 4 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, rPi-4 based LMS on 2TB SSD (80,000+ tracks)
    Marantz, Denyo, & Bantam amps,
    Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
    Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic headphones

When I had this is was not at the Boom's end of things but rather at the plug on the power supply. Solution was to use a pincette to pinch the v-opening on the inside of the plug so it hugs the centre pin in the Boom's socket better. Just make sure the supply is unplugged while doing this,

Found this suggestion in another thread (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=power+cable):

Quote Originally Posted by WontonNoodleSoup View Post
    Just in case anyone else comes across this thread while searching for information about the Boom power socket, I reflowed the solder joints as well and it didn't help. The intermittent power issue described by mctubster, at least for me, turned out to be due to corrosion in the power socket itself. I fixed my Boom by lightly spraying the power socket with DeoxIT DN5 and inserting/removing the power plug a few times per the instructions. I kept my Boom near a humidifier which runs in the winters so that might have caused the corrosion. My Boom works great now. Cheers.
    I dont have any of that stuff but I do have some generic contact cleaner. Will give it a try.
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-01-26 at 04:52.
    muso developer

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    When I had this is was not at the Boom's end of things but rather at the plug on the power supply. Solution was to use a pincette to pinch the v-opening on the inside of the plug so it hugs the centre pin in the Boom's socket better. Just make sure the supply is unplugged while doing this,
    Thanks I'll try that too.
    muso developer

I've had this problem, more or less, for years. It seems to be a problem within the cable where it connects to the back of the Boom. I have found that using a very small, slim, screwdriver blade I can push the two wires inside the plug which make contact with the central pin in the Boom so that they grip the pin better. I then stick a piece of gaffer tape over the cable and tape it in place on the back of the radio. That seems to hold it all in place, so that even when I move it, the SBB still keeps working.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I've had this problem, more or less, for years. It seems to be a problem within the cable where it connects to the back of the Boom. I have found that using a very small, slim, screwdriver blade I can push the two wires inside the plug which make contact with the central pin in the Boom so that they grip the pin better. I then stick a piece of gaffer tape over the cable and tape it in place on the back of the radio. That seems to hold it all in place, so that even when I move it, the SBB still keeps working.
    This worked for me too. Thanks.