Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If it helps with listing alternatives, I moved to eeros Pro for wifi access points. The duet, controller and touch all work with them without problem, which I was pleasantly surprised about. They are current mesh systems. Not the latest eero 6 version but the previous.
    Edit: Correction. the Touch is on ethernet.
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 2021-07-28 at 12:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Starminder View Post
    Hi Paul,

I have the CT8. It is Wifi6 and the next iteration of the XT8. It is essentially the same, almost exactly, except there is a 6GHz channel in place of one of the two 5GHz channels the XT8 has. I am currently experiencing the same issues with 2.4GHz band dropping clients on the CT8 that I experienced with the XT8. I traded up because the hardware is a year newer and was hoping this problem was gone, but alas it is not. I'm going to try wlanpoke next. On a sidenote, if your media area and office are wired for lan, then hopefully you can use wired backhaul between the two units.

R
    WiFi 6 is supposed to be the 802.11ax protocol. When I look at the CT8 specification, it does not mention WiFi6.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-I...-CT8/techspec/

The XT8 does show WiFi6:
    https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-...XT8-/techspec/

Different models for different countries?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    If it helps with listing alternatives, I moved to eeros Pro for wifi access points. The duet, controller and touch all work with them without problem, which I was pleasantly surprised about. They are current mesh systems. Not the latest eero 6 version but the previous.
    Edit: Correction. the Touch is on ethernet.
    I looked at Eero 6, and the price is good right now, but only 2 ethernet ports is a problem. I could use a ethernet switch, but I have enough stuff plugged into the power strip, pugged into another power strip!

The interference problem I am talking about seems to only impact the SB radios as they use a different WiFi chip than the Touch and other SB products.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    WiFi 6 is supposed to be the 802.11ax protocol. When I look at the CT8 specification, it does not mention WiFi6.

The XT8 does show WiFi6:

Paul
    Hi Paul,

You can compare the two products on the ASUS website:
    https://www.asus.com/us/product-comp...Servers-WiFi-6

The big difference is the ET8 uses WiFi 6E (802.11ax) (6GHz) : up to 4804 Mbps channel instead of a secondary 5GHz channel. I don't even have a client that utilizes 6GHz (yet). Anyways, having had the XT8 (twice), I'm now trying to give the ET8 a chance but am running into the very same issue with SB Radios dropping. I've been out of town and unable to play with it until now, so hopefully I can get it sorted this week. I believe updating the Radios along with Wlanpoke will fix it, will advice soon.

The XT8 does show WiFi6:

Paul
    Paul
    Here is a much more thorough comparison of the XT8 and ET8:

https://dongknows.com/asus-zenwifi-et8-vs-xt8-preview/

XT8 ET8 Specs Compare.pdf

Last week I bought two ASUS RT-AX55 routers which support Vimesh and Wifi6. I tested the new routers at a second location where I do not have any problems with my SB Radios dropping from the network due to interference from the neighbors. At home I have had problems. I set up the system with separate 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSID. When Wifi 6 was turned on the SB radio worked for about 10 minutes, and then dropped from the network. Turning off 2.4 Ghz Wifi 6 and no more problems with the SB Radio. I am having problems with the guest network on the mesh nodes, which is supposed to be supported by the RT-AX55. I have a case open with ASUS. Once I get resolution, I plan to create a new post with my observations.

Paul

ASUS XT8 and ET8

I purchased and tried the XT8 right when it came out. Spent two months daily with tech support to no avail. The Radios kept getting dumped. A couple of months ago I saw here where the problem was "fixed" and bought it again. Not so much. At the same time, I saw the ET8 was getting released, and opted for that instead since the hardware was a year newer. Well, the problem has gotten worse, not better. SB Radios won't even connect this time.

I have had a Netgear R9000 and EX8000 extender for years. It works...sort of. I have a long list of complaints, starting with their tech support model which emphasizes "we break it, you pay for it".

At this point, to me it doesn't make sense to buy a router that's not WiFi6. But, it also doesn't make any sense to buy a router that literally hates some of my clients.

I've wanted to buy Ubiquiti...but what I want is never available. Ever. Which makes no freaking sense. How are they even in business when everything is out of stock always?

So. If ASUS is off the table, Netgear is off the table, and Ubiquiti took themselves off the table...what's left that is WiFi6, Mesh, and available that isn't ridiculously feature-poor?

Starminder,

Do you really need WiFi 6 on the 2.Ghz band? New devices should support WiFi 6 and 5Ghz, so WiFi 6 will is be still available. To recap, WiFi6 is disabled for 2.4 GHz, but WiFi6 is enabled for 5 Ghz. I am not having any problems with my SB Radios.

I connect anything that benefits from higher speed on the 5 Ghz SSID, and all the other stuff is placed on the 2.4 Ghz SSID.

I chose the ASUS because it still allows the option to create separate SSIDs and it supports ethernet backhaul. Some of the other options from other companies do not allow those options. I just hope ASUS can resolve the guest network on mesh nodes issue. I connect the IoT devices on the guest network for security reasons because it is isolated, and one of them (sprinkler) will need to connect to the mesh node because the main router is farther away.

Paul

Starminder,

Do you really need WiFi 6 on the 2.Ghz band? New devices should support WiFi 6 and 5Ghz, so WiFi 6 will is be still available. To recap, WiFi6 is disabled for 2.4 GHz, but WiFi6 is enabled for 5 Ghz. I am not having any problems with my SB Radios.

I connect anything that benefits from higher speed on the 5 Ghz SSID, and all the other stuff is placed on the 2.4 Ghz SSID.

I chose the ASUS because it still allows the option to create separate SSIDs and it supports ethernet backhaul. Some of the other options from other companies do not allow those options. I just hope ASUS can resolve the guest network on mesh nodes issue. I connect the IoT devices on the guest network for security reasons because it is isolated, and one of them (sprinkler) will need to connect to the mesh node because the main router is farther away.

Paul
    Wifi6 is disabled for 2.4GHz.

Just got an XT8 setup (2 nodes) and ran headlong into these issues. Could not get 3 * Booms to connect not matter what I tried. The would connect to wireless, get an IP (visible in the Asus Network Map) - but would _not_ connect to LMS itself.

Eventually, I added back a legacy D-Link Access Point to the network, and made the booms connect to that. Instantly worked again.

Pretty annoying really as the point was to bathe the whole house in one, single SSID, fast wireless solution...and to read that this is a problem introduced by recent firmware....sigh.

A question:
    One thing I only notice later and did not actually try was the 'Roaming Block List' - given the players initially got an IP, I felt the issue might lie somewhere in the roaming part of things - but I presume you folks have tried block your SB equipment in there?

I actually got these for free due to a credit thing, but rather regretting it all at this point.

I even found last night that a tablet taken from one end of the house to the other had to be manually disconnected and re-connected to get good wifi...I thought the whole point was that sort of thing happened automatically?!