Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Same Probem

Downgrading the firmware worked, but eventually my SB Radios still got dumped. Contacted ASUS and they had me change the following settings:

2.4 GHz
    Channel bandwidth
    40 MHz
    Control Channel

Extension Channel
    Below
    5 GHz-1
    Channel bandwidth
    80 MHz
    Control Channel

Extension Channel
    Auto
    5 GHz-2
    Channel bandwidth
    80 MHz
    Enable 160 MHz
    Control Channel

Extension Channel
    Auto

It worked for a short time, but after about 10 minutes or less my radio got dumped again. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Starminder View Post
    It worked for a short time, but after about 10 minutes or less my radio got dumped again. Ugh.
    Only the 2.4GHz settings are relevant to SB hardware player and I think they also do not support 40MHz bonding so I think that setting should be 20MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Only the 2.4GHz settings are relevant to SB hardware player and I think they also do not support 40MHz bonding so I think that setting should be 20MHz.
    Thanks, gave it a shot, but the SB Radio got dumped in about 10 minutes again. SB Boom(s) stay connected though.

Quote Originally Posted by Starminder View Post
    Thanks, gave it a shot, but the SB Radio got dumped in about 10 minutes again. SB Boom(s) stay connected though.
    If the problem is now Radio/Touch specific then this may be an alternative approach https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...fix-(wlanpoke)

Second try and ASUS reply

I have two squeezebox installations, one in the country house which was the one causing the problems that made me start this thread, and one in the flat in town. Both of these are using ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8), with the only difference that the setup in the flat only uses two nodes instead of three.

Yesterday I tried the exact same f/w upgrade on the router and mesh node in the flat and had the exact same result. My three Squeezebox Duet stopped working which was immediately indicated with the dreaded blue light. The f/w version in the flat was 3.0.0.4.386_41793 and was upgraded to 3.0.0.4.386.43181.

Without changing any settings (SB or router), I reversed the f/w upgrade and, as before, everything bounced back. Did not even have to restart the squeezeboxes.
    So, now I’m certain that it is the f/w that is causing the problems.

I also had a reply from ASUS one week after contacting support. The answer wasn’t very helpful but sharing it here anyway:

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately we are not sure what in the update made this issue, but we are grateful for the feedback.
    Since it seems like the issue was caused by the latest firmwares, we can only advice you to stay on the version that you are on right now for the moment in order for the Squeezeboxes to work, until a new firmware is released.

We unfortunately do not know when a new firmware version will be released, as this has not been shared internally.

If you have any other questions, don´t hesitate to ask.

Have a nice day!

The question asked was more or less a repeat of what was submitted here.

Yesterday I upgraded my ZenWifi AX (XT8) (3 nodes) to f/w version 3.0.0.4.386.43181. I’m not absolutely sure what version I upgraded from but I normally upgrade frequently so it should have been one of the latest versions.

Since many years I’m a fan user of Logitech Squeezebox and have a well-functioning multi-room media setup. Even though the Squeezebox devices are not the latest and thus using 2,4 Ghz B/G olny, there are many, many users still out there.

After the upgrade all Squeezeboxes stopped working. After hours of frustration trying almost everything with the squeezeboxes, I finally restored the ZenWifi f/w., first to the previous version (3.0.0.4.386.43170) which did not help, then to version 3.0.0.4.386.42095, and -wow- everything bounced back to normal.

Except for the squeezeboxes, the upgrade did not cause any problems.

I’m happy that ASUS is upgrading their mesh systems f/w frequently and would like to be able to take advantage of future upgrades. However, this is a show stopper.

Please advice to what in the upgrade could have caused my problem. I realize that we cannot expect ASUS to do tests on any old device that ever existed but still hope for some assistance.

I’m convinced that this does not have anything to do with radio interference or (mesh) roaming features.

Any further suggestions anyone?

Thanks
    Bjorn

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Bornstedt View Post
    I’m convinced that this does not have anything to do with radio interference or (mesh) roaming features.

Any further suggestions anyone?
    For completeness.

POMdev did a lot of investigation on Radio & Wifi drops. This post details the setup and what was checked.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post990627

Posts in another thread from Nov 2020 show user caster_fou had similar issue with Asus XT 8 - so it is seems this is not problem with just most recent firmware
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post996005

Tech Support

Here's the reply I got from tech support today:

"While we understand that getting your unit in working order is vital, unfortunately according to the symptoms you have shared with us, we have to assume that you are dealing with a hardware issue that will require repair to resolve.

Even with the high importance ASUS places on quality, at the end of the day our units are very complex technical products, which can sometimes malfunction on the hardware side. We are sorry that this is appears to be the case with your unit, but will gladly complete repair.

Click here to start the repair process for Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA.)

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us."

Ugh. For one, I don't believe hardware is the cause or fix to the problem. Two, what a pain. This is my 2nd go-around with this router and over a year later they still can't make it work. I'm still within the return window, so I'm thinking of buying something else and sending this back...but I have no idea what to buy instead...most alternatives I've looked at are awful by comparison (spec-wise). I've wanted Ubiquiti all along, but they never have what I want in stock.

If its any help I ordered a Vonets VAR11N-300 set this up in bridge mode, added the 2.4Ghz wifi details and disabled the hotspot function. Then plugged it into the Touch pressed back and then selected Ethernet and it was up and running. About £20 on Amazon; https://amzn.to/3hqU2Hx

So far working great powered from the Touch USB socket on the back
    www.spicefly.com - ** Spicefly SugarCube ** - A hassle free acoustic journey through your music library using MusicIP. Plus the finest MusicIP installation guides, enhanced MIP Interface and SpyGlass MIP the Windows Automated MusicIP Headless Installer.

I am looking at possibly getting the ASUS ZenWifi (CT8) which provides a mesh network, but is not WiFi6 like the XT8 version. From readings the various threads on the SB Radio interference problem, the issue is related to the Wifi 6 protocols. Anyone on the forums using the ASUS ZenWifi (CT8) successfully with the SB Radios?

Any alternative suggestions? I want a two station mesh network, using an ethernet backhaul, and I need at least 3 ethernet LAN ports on each router/station for hardwire devices. I notice many of the mesh network options (Orbi, google, etc.) they only have 1 or 2 LAN ports on the stations. My view is since my media area and office is already wired for ethernet I should use it over WiFi.

thanks,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    I am looking at possibly getting the ASUS ZenWifi (CT8) which provides a mesh network, but is not WiFi6 like the XT8 version. From readings the various threads on the SB Radio interference problem, the issue is related to the Wifi 6 protocols. Anyone on the forums using the ASUS ZenWifi (CT8) successfully with the SB Radios?

Any alternative suggestions? I want a two station mesh network, using an ethernet backhaul, and I need at least 3 ethernet LAN ports on each router/station for hardwire devices. I notice many of the mesh network options (Orbi, google, etc.) they only have 1 or 2 LAN ports on the stations. My view is since my media area and office is already wired for ethernet I should use it over WiFi.

thanks,

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I have the CT8. It is Wifi6 and the next iteration of the XT8. It is essentially the same, almost exactly, except there is a 6GHz channel in place of one of the two 5GHz channels the XT8 has. I am currently experiencing the same issues with 2.4GHz band dropping clients on the CT8 that I experienced with the XT8. I traded up because the hardware is a year newer and was hoping this problem was gone, but alas it is not. I'm going to try wlanpoke next. On a sidenote, if your media area and office are wired for lan, then hopefully you can use wired backhaul between the two units.

R