Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

ASUS ZenWifi AX (XT8) firmware upgrade disconnects my squeezeboxes

I have several Duet’s and a Touch that use to work satisfactorily, meaning -once in a while I have to pull to power plug from the player to reconnect, but I have learned to live with that.
    LMS is running version 8.1.1 on a Windows Server.

Yesterday I made a f/w upgrade of my ASUS ZenWifi mesh system (3 nodes).

Goodbye Squeezeboxes (everything else seemed to work as before).

All players showed the horrible blue light and the controllers all showed the Wifi strength indicator in red.
    Tried
    • Rebooting and reconnecting all devices involved.
    • Reconfigured the Wifi system, in suspicion of that the f/w upgrade had changed some setting. Luckily, I had all setting saved from some weeks ago.
    • Reset and reconfigured a Duet
    • Connected a Duet Player using Ethernet and – wow – that worked for the player but still could not connect the controller.

After some frustrating hours I finally downgraded my ZenWifi f/w several steps from version 3.0.0.4.386.43181 to 3.0.0.4.386.42095 and everything bounced back!

So, here’s my simple question,
    What the (h) is going on?

Asus keeps improving their mesh systems with frequent f/w upgrades and I would like to be part of any improvements they make.

Any help or not too far fetched ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bjorn

Probably the best thing is to let Asus know via their support organisation and probably their support forum.
    Other users of legacy kit might have already determined a set of settings that works and Asus probably want to make things as backwards compatible as possible.
    The challenge for Asus is that they probably do not have a lot of 15 year old WiFi hardware / firmware to test against in their lab.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    they probably do not have a lot of 15 year old WiFi hardware / firmware to test against in their lab.
    I can certainly see that problem but maybe they can tell me what knobs that might have an effect. Wish I knew more about what protocols are used by the squeezeboxes.

Thanks
    Bjorn

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Bornstedt View Post
    I can certainly see that problem but maybe they can tell me what knobs that might have an effect. Wish I knew more about what protocols are used by the squeezeboxes.
    They're plain v. old just 802.11bg

No 'n','ac', 'ax', 'r, 's' etc.

No Roaming, No channel Bonding, no additional RTS or CTS timing changes.

Only 2.4MHz - no 5Mhz.

Generally turn off all the new features (many of which you may not even use) and then enable them one by one.

Channel bonding (i.e 40Mhz vs 20Mhz) and Roaming are often the problem features.
    Last edited by bpa; 2021-06-22 at 06:58.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Channel bonding (i.e 40Mhz vs 20Mhz) and Roaming are often the problem features.
    Thanks

I switched Channel Bandwidth from 20/40 Mhz to 20 Mhz and Control Channel from auto to channel 5.
    None of these settings are new with the f/w release that caused the error but anyways...

Not sure what you mean by roaming?
    Last edited by Bjorn Bornstedt; 2021-06-23 at 02:14.

Thanks

I switched Channel Bandwidth from 20/40 Mhz to 20 Mhz and Control Channel from auto to channel 5.
    None of these settings are new with the f/w release that caused the error but anyways...

Note sure what you mean by roaming?
    Probably not important but Channel 5 is an unusual choice. Normally 1,6 and 11 are recommended.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Probably not important but Channel 5 is an unusual choice.
    Thanks

I just selected what the router had auto selected . Seems to be working.

There's quite a few threads discussing wifi issues in the Squeezebox Radio forum, some similar to your issue of running the older SB hardware on new wifi 6 mesh type routers.

Have a quick read through those - if I remember correctly there are posts which indicate specific features to turn off to re-establish reliable wireless connections on Squeezebox players.

Kev

Not sure what you mean by roaming?
    You have a mesh network - which means multiple ASUS devices (e.g. router & satellites) providing a single SSID wifi by operating in a mesh - if the user device supports roaming then it can change AP connection (e.g. from satellite to satellite device) as user device moves around. LMS players are usually fairly static so this roaming feature is not significant but possibly may cause problems in locations where satellite devices signals overlap.

Can anybody screenshot known working 2.4Ghz settings?

I recently upgraded to ZenWifi and now my Duet/Touch and Radio devices will get an IP address but get stuck on the connecting to mysqueezebox.com screen.

Thanks in advance
    www.spicefly.com - ** Spicefly SugarCube ** - A hassle free acoustic journey through your music library using MusicIP. Plus the finest MusicIP installation guides, enhanced MIP Interface and SpyGlass MIP the Windows Automated MusicIP Headless Installer.