Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Software to edit a MP3 file

I need to edit about a six MP3 files to extract part of the music for each file. Each file is about 6 hours long, and I need to remove the last 4 hours. Since the file is already lossy, I am assuming to maintain the same sound quality it should not be recompressed. Would extracting to an uncompressed sound file, trim to the desired audio, and then recompress back to MP3 reduce the sound quality? Do some programs edit the MP3 file without recompression?

Alternatively, after editing the uncompressed sound file, I could save it as a FLAC to avoid a second lossy compression.

I am looking for something easy to use and not expensive since I have a limited one-time need.
    Any software recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    I need to edit about a six MP3 files to extract part of the music for each file. Each file is about 6 hours long, and I need to remove the last 4 hours. Since the file is already lossy, I am assuming to maintain the same sound quality it should not be recompressed. Would extracting to an uncompressed sound file, trim to the desired audio, and then recompress back to MP3 reduce the sound quality? Do some programs edit the MP3 file without recompression?

Alternatively, after editing the uncompressed sound file, I could save it as a FLAC to avoid a second lossy compression.

I am looking for something easy to use and not expensive since I have a limited one-time need.
    Any software recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Try Audacity, it's free. Editing then saving to MP3 would reduce the sound quality but whether you would notice is hard to say.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

another recommendation for audacity. If you're highly concerned about quality, edit to remove section you don't want, then save resulting file to FLAC with Audacity.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

mp3DirectCut will edit MP3 files without re-encoding. The "save as FLAC" option also would work.

https://mpesch3.de/

If the original MP3 files are of sufficient quality (320 kbps), a single "transcode" back to MP3-320 would likely create no audible difference. Audacity, as mentioned, is a great tool for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    mp3DirectCut will edit MP3 files without re-encoding. The "save as FLAC" option also would work.

https://mpesch3.de/

If the original MP3 files are of sufficient quality (320 kbps), a single "transcode" back to MP3-320 would likely create no audible difference. Audacity, as mentioned, is a great tool for this.
    This is exactly what I needed!

Thank you!!